Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

Cold weather starting.

50K views 174 replies 35 participants last post by  Wheatfield 
#1 ·
Minus 23 C here this morning, truck plugged in and won't start, anyone had an issue with cold weather starting before. I have the cummins. I'm thinking the block heater isn't working but it should have started regardless.

#6 ·
Mine fired right up last night went out for a drive it was -24 on the dash and she fired up not plugged in either. Call the dealer and take it in get them to check the block heater operation.

Also an engine of this size needs at least 3 hours with a block heater to do anything. 1 hour wont do sh*t. Those heaters are small coils there not that big.

Reactions: Growler
#8 ·
WTF!! Wow, ok.

What is your fuel level?

when you hit the start button twice foot off the brake do you hear the lift pump in the tank working?

is there any smoke coming out of the exhaust when you are cranking it over?

How many Km on the Truck?

Try removing the fuel filler cap and see if you hear a "wooshing" sound

#11 ·
These trucks don't have the indicator, When its cold you see the "keep your foot on the brake" sign on that dash that basically means they plugs are in operation.

Sounds to me like you have a lift pump issue or the fuel shut off is not working from a sensor not being happy, crank, cam or any one of the 2000 the truck has on the engine... Id call the 1-800 and get Nissan to send the tow truck over to pick it up...

It should be storing codes for the "no fire" also so when it gets to Nissan they can scan it and figure it out for you!!

Hope it get going for ya...

Reactions: Rpeeps
#16 ·
Finally got it going. Dealer said they come from factory with 10-40 oil which won't help but being plugged in should still start. Manual says 10-30 I believe.
Talked to the service manager at the dealer i bought from he said the same about the oil they have bunch on the lot that won't start. They shipped with 10-30 from factory instead of us Canadians or cold climate areas should of had the 5-30 synthetic. Also i guess they don't recommend a winter front for these trucks according to Cummins/Nissan ??

#19 ·
I recommend using a 0W40 that will help. Also winter fronts are a good thing.

Who knows maybe we need to hook up a ether injection hahahaha Joking only lol

#23 ·
Why are you guys doing to warm your trucks when started. I know we ar not to be letting the idle for extended periods because of the exhaust filter. How long do you let the idle when cold before heading out. BTW we did not get the block heater for our trucks in North Dakota, go figure.

#28 ·
Minus 23 again this morn and it started reluctantly, obviously block heater not working
Im going to check to see if they even put the fuse in the fuse block this morning. If they put the wrong oil in it right from factory i can see them missing this. Mine started a bit better than yesterday but i turned on accessory power for a minute to run the glow plugs longer.

#32 · (Edited)
So the old block heater was shot . They put in new block heater yesterday at the dealer new they have 25ohms on contunituy check on multi meter. Truck did not want to start at all this morning -35C. Checked the block heater right after its open again WTF? Tinman any word on when yours will be in i know you had the same issue yesterday ? and how did the pan heater work out ?

Anyone that has one that has plugged theres in want to check there block heaters with a multi meter to if there working ? Maybe Dragon4x4 or Growler could help out??

#35 ·
Glow Plug Problem

I have a 2016 with 15000 kms on it and I have already replaced glow plugs once and my truck wouldn't start two days ago so I took it in to the dealership and the check engine light was on. They said the glow plugs are not warming enough? It is reading very low so now they have to replace them again......ugh. Frustrated

#36 ·
cold weather starting

Had the pan heater installed yesterday and truck fired right up this morning. My block heater is not working and they didn't have another in stock. Was having the pan heater put on at a cost of $195 but because they didn't have a block heater in stock they didn't charge for the pan heater. Very happy with my dealer so far.

#38 ·
Had the pan heater installed yesterday and truck fired right up this morning. My block heater is not working and they didn't have another in stock. Was having the pan heater put on at a cost of $195 but because they didn't have a block heater in stock they didn't charge for the pan heater. Very happy with my dealer so far.
Yeah there going to throw one in for me Tinman as well. Glad that worked out for you after seeing you there. Worst morning for starting so far

#37 ·
Dealer got back to me, Nissan/Cummins got back to them this afternoon after they heard about the second one in my truck and according to them sounds like the block heater is sized incorrectly and is drawing to much power and burning out the element. Would explain why it tripped my gfi receptacle on the house sometime last night . Fix is in the works how long will that take is my best guess hopefully it warms up sooner rather than later . Not going to try and start the truck like this every day, might try a oil pan heater next week see if that helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.