Oil Analysis Results - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 51Likes

post #1 of 52 Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil Analysis Results

So to those that were critical and attempted to minimize my concerns with the initial extended drain interval don't read these results because I was absolutely justified with my concerns.
The two main elements that came back and were marked as critical are Iron and Potassium.
My sample was taken mid-stream of the oil change at 119 operating hours (5700km)
I think that I'm pretty well done with this forum, it's no different than any other where a few seem to think they are "God" and if your topic doesn't fit their agenda, your concerns are minimized, it's basically a form of bullying.
To those that have one of these Cummins powered Nissans I would urge you to think for yourself and do not be swayed by the few that seem to think they know it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	16937  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 01-05-2017, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Not really sure what that report means.... Also, wouldn't oil testing results be different for near every Titan depending on how it is worked and the filter used?? Never had oil from any of my vehicles checked by a lab and still got long, long life out of my engine.

Would like an explanation of the results...I plead ignorant!
post #3 of 52 Old 01-05-2017, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What does it mean if iron and potassium are high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bikerndiver likes this.

post #4 of 52 Old 01-05-2017, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
So to those that were critical and attempted to minimize my concerns with the initial extended drain interval don't read these results because I was absolutely justified with my concerns.
The two main elements that came back and were marked as critical are Iron and Potassium.
My sample was taken mid-stream of the oil change at 119 operating hours (5700km)
I think that I'm pretty well done with this forum, it's no different than any other where a few seem to think they are "God" and if your topic doesn't fit their agenda, your concerns are minimized, it's basically a form of bullying.
To those that have one of these Cummins powered Nissans I would urge you to think for yourself and do not be swayed by the few that seem to think they know it all.
Could you please post the back page of that report? The front page says an explanation of the variances is on the back. I would love to see the explanation. Thanks in advance.
Bikerndiver likes this.

2016 Nissan Titan XD Pro4X Cummins - Blk/Gry - RC 2/1 level, 295/70R18 Cooper STT Pro
2013 Porsche Cayenne diesel - Meteor Grey Metallic
2008 Lexus IS F - Smokey Granite Mica - highly modified
post #5 of 52 Old 01-05-2017, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
You left out the estimated oil life remaining & this was the 1st analysis so you don't have a baseline for your physical motor.. And to be honest there is alot more important things to be concerned/distracted about while living a short life. I'm sure no one that laid on their death bed where thinking about a oil analysis . Life is short & precious & it's a stupid vehicle that might or will get sold, wiped out in an accident, stolen, caught on fire, ect ect. You didn't school anyone, but you did waste time & money. Fallow Nissan's service schedule & document it, for warranty purposes.
Bikerndiver and wakinvol like this.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....

Last edited by AZPRO4X; 01-05-2017 at 11:45 AM.
post #6 of 52 Old 01-05-2017, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Oh wow that's bad and to think that I followed the severe schedule at 7500 miles! That is REALLY not good, for those that don't understand what this means:
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...-potassium-oil

Quote:
On the other hand, potassium has only one real major source when found in engine oil — antifreeze. Other key elements that you will want to look for are boron, chromium, phosphorus and silicon. All of these elements are associated with antifreeze and, if found in engine oil, can be an indicator that you have a coolant leak.
https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...in-oil-Reports

TLDR: His engine is ****** and should be brought in immediately. Those levels shouldn't occur in an engine that new. I think next oil change I'm going to send mine off as well just to make sure mine is OK.
Bikerndiver likes this.

Last edited by Sentential; 01-05-2017 at 11:41 AM.
post #7 of 52 Old 01-05-2017, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
I think what will be more telling is the report after your next oil change to see if the levels increase or decrease. Have you been experiencing any sort of coolant loss which may be causing elevated potassium levels? Did your truck fall under the turbo update?
Bikerndiver and Oldcolonel like this.
post #8 of 52 Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
This is why one does the first oil change early, around 1000 miles. No matter how good the block is cleaned at assembly the parts still have to make friends. The second change with 5000 miles should test somewhat better but still be elevated iron. The third at 12000 should show normal. His results to me look normal for brand new, the potassium is more what I would keep an eye on.
xxx and XDHunter like this.

2016 TITAN PRO-4X
AFE CAI w/scoop
Iron Cross HD steps
DashMat Ltd. Edition Dashboard Cover
Big Cummins diesel sticker
post #9 of 52 Old 01-05-2017, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Where and how do you go about getting oil analyzed?
post #10 of 52 Old 01-05-2017, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerndiver View Post
Where and how do you go about getting oil analyzed?
http://m.blackstone-labs.com
Bikerndiver likes this.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page