Getting Stuck: The Fun of No Recovery Tools for your TitanXD - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By XDinNC

post #1 of 10 Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Getting Stuck: The Fun of No Recovery Tools for your TitanXD

So I did my good deed, helping my buddy out by transporting the couches he and the girlfriend wanted so badly to dispose of, and the Titan was obviously easily prepared for such a task:

We get to the place where an acquaintance assured us we could dump the couches on their bonfire pile of 8 or 9 other couches, and to "just drive over the yard around the trees and well pipe back, no problem."

We drove back to the bonfire pile and unloaded without an issue. On the way out there was some severe mud ruts formed at one point and so I planned to avoid that as we departed. I started to back out the way we had pulled in (in 4x4 HIGH) and a previously non-muddy portion of the ground, possibly due to the weight of the truck, just swallowed the truck's wheels a bit:

I tried to rock it out twice and then stopped because the wheels were halfway buried at that point. Maybe 2.5" clearance from the front of the frame rail to the ground.

As seen above, I tried just wedging 2x6's on site under the rear wheels but no dice.

It took hours of digging mud and jacking up the truck to get the planks underneath using two different floor jacks ...

... and then a pull from two different Chevy 1500's (one pulling each front tow hook) to get my damned Pro-4X free.

What a day.

I actually own the premium version of the Hi-Lift Jack and all the associated extra add-ons - and they never got moved over to the truck from my old Subaru "because I was too busy." I assure you I will be fabricating a mount for the Hi-Lift Jack, as well as for the MaxTrax boards I just bought now (after years of salivating and considering).

Aftermath of the episode:

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Anyone else have any grand tales of getting their beloved Titan XD stuck so thoroughly, yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-17-2017, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Strap a piece of wood to the rear wheel(or wheels) with a tie down or rope, or even tied together bed sheets or a few belts. As you apply throttle VERY SLOWLY, the wood acts as a tread and should pull/lift you out. Hard to explain. It will frequently work well for this soft mud/snow mix.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-17-2017, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Like this....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9688_1489802443577.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	21713  
steve likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-18-2017, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
you need better tires and more right pedal next time.

Hi lift is pretty easy to mount to the utilitrak fyi, did it on my 06 titan many years ago. also should be super easy to make a mount for the maxtrax boards....the uitlitrak is absolutely awesome.

2011 Titan Pro4x
post #5 of 10 Old 03-18-2017, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
First time I took the truck hunting I was driving down a two track beside a soybean field. I felt the front wheels start mushing left and right so I immediately stopped. Even then I was about 2 feet from getting stuck by myself with no way to get out. Managed to get the rear locker engaged and used a fair amount of go-pedal to get myself out, but it was too close for comfort.

I have a restored '83 CJ-7 that is like a mountain goat. It'll go just about anywhere I point it. I think these big diesels are just too heavy for any soft ground. Glad you got out without breaking anything, but certainly not a fun way to spend a day.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Txs

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Been stuck 2 or 3 times already, but each time was what I refer to as a stupid stuck.

Stupid stuck - Driving into or onto an area, usually with a small slope, that contains wet and/or frosty grass/soil that even an experienced mountain goat could not keep upright on.

Occurred a couple times hunting, driving down some lease road properties in the early am, only discover after the sun comes out and around noon, that the only way out is either a skidder, tracked equipment, or waiting about 2 hours after dark for things to refreeze so you may be able to drive out the same way you came in. I ended up with the latter.

Once on a rain soaked logging road, on a flat turn-around bay. Just sat there, locker, all 4 kicking clumps in the air, and 0 movement. Few fur bows, lots of throttle and cursing, eventually weasled my way out.

The tires on the Pro4x are garbage. They load up way to easy and don't shed/clean themselves until excessive wheel spin occurs. On the road, in any amount of water, they seem to track funny, even with the weight of the heavy truck.

Switching to duratrax, a proven choice.

Last edited by Txs; 03-18-2017 at 10:21 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-19-2017, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Good thing they make other styles of tires...

I'd be careful with that proven choice...ive heard they get stuck too.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-19-2017, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Garage
Never happen with them
post #9 of 10 Old 03-19-2017, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Lol
post #10 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Been there myself. After first spin on wet grass with slight mush ground underneath, I knew the stock tires would suck in mud. Added my MT's and never got stuck going through mud well up above the lower rim edge, several times almost 1/3 buried.

CalAR
'16 Pro4X Cummins w/ S&B Intake
- Audio/Utility & Convenience Pkgs
- RC 2/1 kit w/ Nitto G2's & Toyo MT's
- Access LiteRider cover & Husky Liners

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page