Warning! Exhaust filter clogged. - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 11Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Warning! Exhaust filter clogged.

So last night my wife was getting a can of gas for the lawn mower in my truck and when she got home she asked what's this warning that just came on in your dash. I checked and figured it was pretty obvious.
The warning said to check the manual and the manual said that to clear the filter i needed to drive on the highway at 90 km/hr for at least 45 mns.
The nearest highway to me is two ferry rides and 3.5 hrs away.
My commute to work is about 2-3 mns and i only have about 5 miles of road on my island so what was i to do.
I had to move some furniture today and get bait for fishing tomorrow and take s cpl things to my buddy's shop to get fixed so i let my truck warm up to temp and did my errands which took about sn hour from start to finish. I never turned the truck off and the total of 15 miles i drove i shifted into 2 nd gear and drove about 35 mph. When i startdd out i floored the truck and 2nd kept the rpms up a bit more than usual.
By the time i was done the warning was gone. Not ideal but it worked to clear the filter. For a while at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Sounds like you live in a interesting place & I'm surprised you went with a diesel . Your are going to have to eventually figure something out or do a full delete.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....
post #3 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 PM
xxx

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
has your buddy got a dyno ?? xxx

XXX

post #4 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
has your buddy got a dyno ?? xxx
HAHAHAH awesome.

Your DPF is plugging up. Your truck just need to drive more quick start and stops is not ideal for newer diesels... or hook up to a trailer and drive you island loop a couple hundred times lol.

Delete your truck and you will never have that issue.
xxx likes this.

Mine: 16 Titan XD Pro4X Lux
13 Arctic Cat M800 153 Ltd
14 Triumph Street Triple 675

Hers: 15 Lexus RX350
13 Arctic Cat XF800 141 HC-Ltd
15 Triumph Street Tripe 675
post #5 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 11:47 PM
Txs

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Unfortunately, its a common necessity to drive these trucks at speed every so often, more so if you do a lot of short trips, like you seem to do. Highway speeds are ideal, but it can be done at less; 60km/h or so should be enough to get it going into regeneration. Drive continuously for at least 20-30 minutes at that speed if you can. If its the island I'm thinking of, that might be tricky to do.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I plan on getting a tuner to turn off the exhaust filter when theres a bit more selection and a full delete when my warranty is up if i can wait that long.
I had to go diesel after going in my friends PR on a towing trip with him. I loved it and knew a gas wasnt in my future(hopefully not too many dealer trips for a plugged egr either).I knew what i might b in for and for me i guess it was more want than need at the time but my wife and i are looking at travel trailers so maybe diesel will wind up being less of a crazy choice.
I sure do love that diesel/tranny combo tho.
Jtp likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txs View Post
Unfortunately, its a common necessity to drive these trucks at speed every so often, more so if you do a lot of short trips, like you seem to do. Highway speeds are ideal, but it can be done at less; 60km/h or so should be enough to get it going into regeneration. Drive continuously for at least 20-30 minutes at that speed if you can. If its the island I'm thinking of, that might be tricky to do.
The island called White Head Island. Named from the white quartz thats exposed looking at it from the nw.
Its no problem to drive it 60 or a bit better for 30 mns or so. The scenery doesnt change much lol.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Not sure if u can see the white on those rocks or not but thats the "white head" this morning at 530.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1212_1497430480135.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	26114  
AZPRO4X likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Jtp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post
I plan on getting a tuner to turn off the exhaust filter when theres a bit more selection and a full delete when my warranty is up if i can wait that long.
I had to go diesel after going in my friends PR on a towing trip with him. I loved it and knew a gas wasnt in my future(hopefully not too many dealer trips for a plugged egr either).I knew what i might b in for and for me i guess it was more want than need at the time but my wife and i are looking at travel trailers so maybe diesel will wind up being less of a crazy choice.
I sure do love that diesel/tranny combo tho.
I am in the same boat as you, I bought for the future, and pulling a lot when the wife retires.
My diesel choice was completely wrong, for now, with a bunch of 2-4 mile trips, and not driving it often.
Next spring though, It will be the perfect choice.
The diesel will hold up better dragging a 30 foot RV trailer around.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-14-2017, 04:15 PM
xxx

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
just a thought .. I know nothing about the quality of your fuel but a high quality fuel additive may help your dpf issue ... I am certainly not going to recommend any brands but the good stuff costs more and may be worth a try... also on a island environment such as yours keep a close eye on your fuel water separator as h20 will tend to accumulate in your fuel tank and bulk tanks as I am sure you well know...I am glad to see the error cleared after your efforts to resolve... good luck ..xxx

XXX

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page