Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

Is this a good deal on a 2016 Platinum Reserve?

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Rick Harmon 
#1 ·
Hello all, I've been a long time follower of this site and learning from a lot of you which has helped me make my decision. I have a question about a potential deal that I could make on Monday. I went and test drove a "demo" truck with 1,700 miles on it.

It's a 2016 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve (diesel), with an MSRP of $58,880. The only option that it does not have is the Blindside option and it's a 4x2. I looked at the build date and it showed Jan 2016. It has a couple of minor scratches, but in overall excellent condition (as one would expect). He said the warranty has been upgraded to the 5 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on ALL XD's that are NEW (not sure if that's true or not).

I was able to negotiate the price down to $45000 out the door. I think it's a good deal, but my main concern about the truck was that during my test drive, the truck had a hard shift when trying to get up to speed. It drove smoothly once I got up to speed or slowed down. I did test drive another truck and it was smoother than the one I'm looking at, but was a lower trim. I read that some have had reflashes done which had helped fix the transmission shifting issues. Is that true too? Anyways, I truly want a PRO4X, because of the hill descent, better shocks, and 4x4 option. Tomorrow I am going see a PRO4X and try to get the same deal if possible. If I can make the same deal, I am going to buy it.

My main question goes back to the Platinum Reserve. Do you think $45000 out the door is a good price? Secondly, should I chance it with the transmission shifting issues? Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for helping me make my decision.

On a positive note, I was highly impressed with this truck. My dad owns a 2015 GMC 2500 HD LTZ 6.7, and even he was impressed with what this truck had to offer. Thanks again!

See less See more
#9 ·
The hard shifting is normal. Think of it as "positive engagement". Totally normal.
It's funny you say that because my dad has been driving diesel's most of his life and said the same thing. This is my first, so I guess it's just not "normal" to me because I'm not used to it. But I did find it strange that the other XD that I drove was smooth with just a hint of the "positive engagement." Thanks for the response.

#12 · (Edited)
I'm also searching. When I looked at PR with 4x4 only found 4 below $45K in the whole country on cars.com.

Going 4x2 does make it more palatable. If you really want a 4x4 Pro4X you should be able to easily find one below
$45K with a little searching depending on where you live. The Pro4X is also my favorite and more affordable than the PR.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...atures=buryNoPrice&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT

#13 ·
I actually only found one in my area within 150 miles. Just test drove it today and they wanted $49k for the P4X! He would only give me the current rebates and nothing else. The sales manager with the P4X also told me that the PR deal feom the other dealership at $45k OTD is a great deal, and he works for a different dealership so no reason for him to diseive me. Just cautious that its build date is Jan '16 and has a very hard shift in the beginning of acceleration.

#14 ·
Ask if it has had the TCM update TSB done to it yet. If not, that should smooth it out some.

I purchased my PR 4x4 (listed at ~$62.5K) for about $47.5K + TTL.

2016 Diesel Titan XD PR - Java, bone stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I dont believe it has been serviced for anything yet as it was a demo truck. I know the tailgate needs to be fixed already because it won't open after its unlocked. The last 5 numbers on the vin tell me its one of the first 4000 trucks they made. Should i be concerned with the early build? Or am I overthinking it? Thanks again for your responses!

#16 ·
I'm biased to 4x4, but if you're OK with the 4x2 I wouldn't be concerned at all, especially if that 5/100K B2B is there.

I would have them verify all TSBs and recalls have been done and I would have them prove to me that it truly has the 5/100K bumper to bumper and not just the 5/100K power train. From there, I'd ask them if you can take it for a day or two, preferably with the TCM update completed. Drive it like you would and see what you think over a day or two period.

2016 Diesel Titan XD PR - Java, bone stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
I purchased an 2017 Pro 4X on December 31 for $47K. Got $8500 off of the MSRP. This was at Findlay Nissan In post falls Idaho. I flew to Spokane from Seattle and rented a car for the short drive to Post Falls.

Saved about 2% on sales tax by purchasing in Idaho. Some of the cities around Seattle have sales tax over 10%. Saved about $400.

No shifting problems, this one shifts firmly, but smoothly. The shifts are no more firm than my 2010 Touareg TDI.

Of note is that the Transmission in the XD will learn and adjust shifting as time goes by as does the VW 3.0 TDI transmission. These transmissions are constantly learning and changing shift patterns as they try to learn what you are currently doing. The shift patterns on the Touareg are changing constantly. If you drive it like a sports car, after a short stint, it shifts like a sports car. If you are towing a heavy load it shifts like a truck set on tow mode. If you are descending a hill, after a short time ft figures this out too, gives you more engine braking. This constant changing bothers a bunch of folks. Some do not even notice, including my spouse.

The only thing I made note of on my XD was a bit of numbness in the steering during my return drive to Seattle. Otherwise could not be happier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.