My 800 mile road trip review through the mountains - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 16 Old 02-01-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My 800 mile road trip review through the mountains

Just thought I'd share a review of my 800 mile road trip that we took to go snowboarding in Pennsylvania (Seven Springs Resort). I was impressed with how well my 2016 XD Diesel PR (2wd) handled the mountains and snow.

Here are my Pro's of the trip:
I averaged 19.5-20 mpg (both ways) while driving 70-80 mph, through the mountains. I averaged around 500 miles per fill up. While going over the some steep inclines, the truck made it effortlessly compared to my wife's Buick Enclave which was always hunting and shifting gears. My XD stayed right at 2000 RPM's most of the trip due to our speed. On a side note, my dad also took his 2015 GMC 2500 DMAC and averaged about the same mpg's as I did, maybe slightly better. My brother also followed us in his 2012 Titan and averaged about 17.5-18, which I was quite surprised as well.

I finally had an opportunity to use the bed rails and cleats to tie down our luggage in the back (no cover yet). Very easy to set up and disassemble when we got there. We also utilized the side boxes to keep our small valuables covered and dry for the trip, which was a big help when it was snowing in the mountains.

I love the bright HID lights! Plus I put in LED fog lights which helped see better too! The mirrors are also a plus! They helped a lot with blind spots.

My kids were very comfortable in the back, even though there is no way to adjust there seats. My wife and I sat very comfortably for our 6.5 hour drive.

Navigation was spot on with the route I wanted to take. Sirius XM came in handy (still will not renew it when it expires). The Rockford Fosgate speakers are awesome!

Here are my Cons:
Unfortunately, I learned that I have an annoying bit of wind noise in my side door. Sounds like it's somewhere in the middle (by the B pillar). I could hear it more just with a little bit of pressure on the door. Bothered me most of the trip because I could hear it by my ear even with the music on. My wife said there was a little bit of wind noise on the passenger side door as well, but I have not heard it myself yet.

The alignment still needs to be fixed. I've already had it adjusted when I bought the truck, but still pulls to the right. My steering wheel is also slightly tilted to the left and not centered (OCD thing). The steering also felt a little loose. Wish it was tighter, but not a big deal.

Had a few hard shifts and a little bit of turbo lag when I gunned it to try to pass a vehicle. The hard shifts still seems to be more noticeable at lower speeds. There was a small part of our trip where we hit a lot of traffic and were probably driving around 35-40 mph and the truck seemed to struggle to find the right gear or would hard shift up and down. A couple times were very hard and was afraid it was going to break down or something, but once it got into gear it was fine. Again, this was mostly while in traffic and constantly hitting the gas and braking.

Overall, I'm very impressed and pleased with this truck. The MPG's were a huge plus for the size of this truck, especially for the speed and terrain that we traveled through. I'll be calling the dealer to get my few bugs worked on. I'm really looking forward to pulling a camper in the warmer months! I'm sure there's a lot more I wanted to add, but I can't remember so I'll leave it as is. I added a few pics of the MPG's and trip info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3901.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	18906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3900.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	18914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3894.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	18922  
TitanCowboy and MTXDPro4x like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-01-2017, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Mine is pulling to the right just ever so slightly as well. I took it in today and the alignment is spot on. It doesn't pull with the hands on the wheel (not noticeable anyways). Is that how yours is. Just barely pulls to the right or is it more than slightly?

2016 Titan XD SL Diesel
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 16 Old 02-01-2017, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Ride In your brothers 1st on a day that has crazy cross winds, the doors will move & vibrate like they are going to fly off. Never understood why nissan didn't fix that problem, my dad's 2015 does the same thing.
Glad you had a fun trip.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....

post #4 of 16 Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccochran79 View Post
Mine is pulling to the right just ever so slightly as well. I took it in today and the alignment is spot on. It doesn't pull with the hands on the wheel (not noticeable anyways). Is that how yours is. Just barely pulls to the right or is it more than slightly?
Before I had the first alignment it pulled to the right almost immediately. After it was done, it was spot on. About 2-3 weeks later it has started to slightly pull to the right with my hands off the steering wheel. Not as bad as before but still not right. Also when they did the first alignment they canted the steering wheel to the left by a few degrees so I need to get it fixed as well.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-01-2017, 08:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom XD View Post
Before I had the first alignment it pulled to the right almost immediately. After it was done, it was spot on. About 2-3 weeks later it has started to slightly pull to the right with my hands off the steering wheel. Not as bad as before but still not right. Also when they did the first alignment they canted the steering wheel to the left by a few degrees so I need to get it fixed as well.

OK, thanks for letting me know. I need to take it to another dealer. I have not been happy with service department closest to me for some time. There is one close to work so I will take it there next week and see what they say. I had a 2013 Sentra and a 2005 Titan that the service department closest to me never did good work on.

2016 Titan XD SL Diesel
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 16 Old 02-01-2017, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
nice review

2016 Titan XD SL 4x4 - Stock for now
Join us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Subscribe to my YouTube
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for Titan XD Videos
post #7 of 16 Old 02-01-2017, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccochran79 View Post

Here recently I did a survey from Nissan and they asked about pulling to the right and if I had that issue yet. I haven't, but I really don't have enough miles to tell.

I do like the review, always good to hear what pro's and con's you have.

2016 PRO-4X
post #8 of 16 Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Phantom XD,
I'd check that mpg the old fashioned way. Mine reads 17-17.5 on the dash but real world is 15.5-15.8. I hope this gets much better after a little break in.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-17-2017, 11:12 AM
xxx

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I am glad you are mostly pleased and had a safe uneventful trip... I am curious, what is the build date of your truck ?? Xxx

XXX
post #10 of 16 Old 03-17-2017, 11:54 AM

Garage
I took a trip a couple weeks ago that round trip was 1300 miles. On the way I had a very heavy headwinds and crosswinds and as a result my mileage was terrible. at around 15.6 MPG. I was still very pleased with the way the truck handled and operated. As for wind noise, it is higher than cars I have driven. Maybe I am just used to Nissan trucks or trucks in general as it did not bother me.

On the way back I got around 17.8-18 MPG mostly uphill and no headwinds or crosswinds to speak of. My motor is no where near broken in as I currently have roughly 4300 miles on it and I thought overall it did really well on my trip.

2016 Titan XD SL Diesel
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page