2Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Trailer Lights not working fully

Whenever I connect either plugs for a larger trailer or the smaller lights.

The truck is only allowing the lights to turn on. No brakes, no turn signals, hazards or anything work.

Any clue why?

2017' Titan XD Platinum Reserve - 4x4 -Cummins
2003' F250 7.3 SuperDuty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-18-2017, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I suggest you pick up one of these troubleshooting lights that has a clip at one end to establish a ground and pointed end to probe connections. Also download a wiring diagram for the the type of receptacle you have (tow vehicle side) and probe the pins on the receptacle. The pin positions are standardized but the actual wiring colors can vary somewhat. The trailer plug side will be a mirror image of the tow vehicle receptacle.

If the truck receptacle shows ok, the problem is with the trailer plug or further back with the trailer wiring/bulbs. For a factory mounted tow pkg, I would expect the truck to be ok, but a wiring issue in the trailer might have taken out fuses for turns/hazards and/or brakes causing you not get the correct response from the truck. The permanently molded trailer plugs tend to be more reliable than those that can be replaced. The replaceable ones require care when rewiring. Tight quarters for wiring, can break internally and easily short inside and take out tow vehicle fuses.
xxx likes this.

2016 XD 5.0 Cummins Pro4x Pearl White, Build date 4/2016, Conven & Util + Audio, Bumper Step Assist, Dark Chrome Step Rails (needed someplace to clean my boots before entering!), Front & Rear Splash Guards. 2004 Subaru Forester, 99.5 Powerstroke with mods, previously a 2011 Xterra Pro-4X - (a fine vehicle but was upsized by the XD)
post #3 of 11 Old 02-18-2017, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Someone had this same issue recently and turned out to be a fuse. Believe its located under the hood on the right side.
Iamcarloseperez likes this.

2016 Titan XD SL 4x4 - Stock for now
Join us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Subscribe to my YouTube
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for Titan XD Videos

post #4 of 11 Old 02-18-2017, 02:04 PM

I would hope he would check the fuses first and then get the test light! Will help if the fuses/truck receptacle are OK! Good to start learning this stuff. Much cheaper than shop labor rates!

2016 XD 5.0 Cummins Pro4x Pearl White, Build date 4/2016, Conven & Util + Audio, Bumper Step Assist, Dark Chrome Step Rails (needed someplace to clean my boots before entering!), Front & Rear Splash Guards. 2004 Subaru Forester, 99.5 Powerstroke with mods, previously a 2011 Xterra Pro-4X - (a fine vehicle but was upsized by the XD)
post #5 of 11 Old 02-20-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sTitanXD View Post
Someone had this same issue recently and turned out to be a fuse. Believe its located under the hood on the right side.
I'll try and locate this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytpro4x View Post
I would hope he would check the fuses first and then get the test light! Will help if the fuses/truck receptacle are OK! Good to start learning this stuff. Much cheaper than shop labor rates!
Going to check today. I know its not the trailers as I have seen them working on other trucks, it has to be the truck.

2003' F250 7.3 SuperDuty
post #6 of 11 Old 02-22-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcarloseperez View Post

Going to check today. I know its not the trailers as I have seen them working on other trucks, it has to be the truck.
How did it turn out?

post #7 of 11 Old 02-24-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytpro4x View Post
How did it turn out?
Still no luck

I found the fuse area, not sure if its a relay or fuse. If it is a relay where is it?

2003' F250 7.3 SuperDuty
post #8 of 11 Old 02-24-2017, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
Still no luck

I found the fuse area, not sure if its a relay or fuse. If it is a relay where is it?
In the fuse box under the hood. Your owners manual should have the diagram & locations to fuses and relays.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....
post #9 of 11 Old 02-24-2017, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Quote:
Still no luck

Assuming that you have no output from terminals one and four of your seven pin connector there will be at least two fuses and at least 2 relays involved. There is probably going to be a 10 amp fuse in the fuse box in your dash and a 15 amp fuse in one of the relay boxes under the hood of the truck. The two turn relays will be under the hood on the passenger side by the firewall.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-24-2017, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It is likely the following fuse, I have enclosed a picture of the 10A Fuse (Center of Picture). Spares and Fuse Remover is located in your fuse box inside of glove box.

Fuse box for this fuse is under hood, passenger side close to firewall. You will need a step to access. This fuse is your trailer light fuse.

Cheers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page