Speaker replacement - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 04-12-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Speaker replacement

Has anyone replaced their factory speakers yet? Ive looked on Crutchfield just for sizes and Im getting 6 1/2 and 6x9's for the front doors. Just curious what is being put in. I don't have the RF system so looking to add little more quality than what in there. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-12-2017, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
You might be the 1st, do a write-up if you can.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....
post #3 of 21 Old 04-12-2017, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
If you change out your speakers you will also want to install an amplifier. The factory amplifier has equalization to make the crappy speakers sound decent in the truck so putting new speakers may make it sound worse. It will sound 10x better with a good 5 channel amplifer from crutchfields and then you can add a subwoofer.

I have the Rockford Fosgate system and it sounds pretty dam good for a factory system but I am adding an additional subwoofer amp and (2) JL audio micro sub enclosures that fit nicely behind the back seats of the truck for more bass extension. I am also going to add some sound deadening in the doors since the front door speakers make the door buzz a little. Plus it will make the truck even quieter inside going down the road.
Juan_Gigante likes this.

2016 Platinum Reserve Blue and Gray

post #4 of 21 Old 04-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4thelaw View Post
If you change out your speakers you will also want to install an amplifier. The factory amplifier has equalization to make the crappy speakers sound decent in the truck so putting new speakers may make it sound worse. It will sound 10x better with a good 5 channel amplifer from crutchfields and then you can add a subwoofer.

I have the Rockford Fosgate system and it sounds pretty dam good for a factory system but I am adding an additional subwoofer amp and (2) JL audio micro sub enclosures that fit nicely behind the back seats of the truck for more bass extension. I am also going to add some sound deadening in the doors since the front door speakers make the door buzz a little. Plus it will make the truck even quieter inside going down the road.
Look forward to seeing the install. I want to do something similar but don't know if my skills are good enough without guidance.

2016 Pearl White SL 2x4 Diesel
post #5 of 21 Old 04-14-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, for now, I ordered some inexpensive Rockford Fosgates off amazon. Didn't want anything crazy since I'm just going to run off the stock HU for now. They call for 6x9s in the front and 6.5 for the rears. $88 for the full set which is very cheap. Will need some adapters and what not but for just over $100 will see how it is. Will keep updated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #6 of 21 Old 04-15-2017, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What did you do about the Front 6x9s? the Back 6.5 are a fairly easy swap, just tear out the factory speaker from its plastic housing and you are able to screw the new speaker into the ledge it had for the factory speaker. Took me a little over an hour to do both sides. However the front 6x9's do not line up, you'll need some kind of universal speaker mount since I'm unable to find any online at the moment.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-15-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrickhouse01 View Post
What did you do about the Front 6x9s? the Back 6.5 are a fairly easy swap, just tear out the factory speaker from its plastic housing and you are able to screw the new speaker into the ledge it had for the factory speaker. Took me a little over an hour to do both sides. However the front 6x9's do not line up, you'll need some kind of universal speaker mount since I'm unable to find any online at the moment.

I haven't done it yet so I'm not sure. Glad you mentioned it though. I will look and see what I can find. Crutchfield recommended 6x9 for the front so that why I picked them. What speakers did you go with and how do you like them?
post #8 of 21 Old 04-15-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_134SB6...9.html?tp=2824

Maybe something like this will work?
post #9 of 21 Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
About 20 years ago I used to be a Car Audio stereo installer when I was back in college. I am going to do a write up on here for improving the stock sound system in this truck. I have the Rockford Fosgate system which is surprisingly good for a stock system but with a few modifications and upgrades my goal is to have it perform like an aftermarket custom audio system.

I can hear a rattle and buzz inside the door when my music is thumping and I can actually feel air from the door speaker through the window switches in the door. This is wasted energy for the door speaker. I will be applying some sound deadening to the 4 doors of the truck.

I just bought some of my favorite sound deadning product this morning.

http://www.raamaudio.com/package-1-2...-41-625-sq-ft/

Its a two step process where I will remove the door panel and the speaker and put sound deadning inside the door and allover the speaker adapter to absorb as much vibration from the speaker as I can. Next I will apply the rammatt on the outside of the door and seal up all of the holes in the door. Then I will apply the foam layer over the top of the rammatt and put the door panel back on.

Just doing this sound deadning 3 things will be accomplished.

Much more solid bass from the door

No more rattle

It will make the Truck even quieter down the road because doors pick up a lot of road noise.

The audio system will be perceived louder because of the drop in road noise from the doors.

More Bass!

The stock sub does a great job of adding some punch to the music however it does not play very low bass but it adds some excellent Mid Bass kick that you can feel. I will be retaining the stock sub and adding some rammatt to enclosure to further improve the bass quality.

Next, I want more low bass exention and want to be able to control the bass output

I will also be installing a JL Audio XD 600/1 Subwoofer amplifier as well. I will detail a very clean amplifier installation on here.

http://www.jlaudio.com/xd600-1v2-car...plifiers-98604

I have not yet choosen a subwoofer yet but I want to utilize the space behind the back seats of the truck. Its pretty tight back there so I have narrowed my choice down to (2) options.

I will either use (1) JL Audio 13TW5 13" shallow mount subwoofer in a sealed enclosure

http://www.jlaudio.com/cs113tg-tw5v2...-systems-93256

or I will use (2) JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 subwoofer systems that each have an 8" subwoofer in a ported enclosure.

http://www.jlaudio.com/cp108lg-w3v3-...-systems-93133

2016 Platinum Reserve Blue and Gray

Last edited by 2fast4thelaw; 04-17-2017 at 12:38 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-20-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well not sure what to do at this point. The 6x9s will not fit correctly in the front doors without modifying the door or adding something to the bracket. The basket of the speaker is too large to fit in the hole of the door. It's not even a large speaker by any means. I suppose I could add some type of spacer between the bracket and to door but not sure how I feel about that.

Let me know if you have any ideas on what I can do because the only other thing would be to do 6 1/2s in the front but I would rather not if I can fit the 6x9 correctly.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page