Titan XD overpriced and less capable than RAM diesel 3/4 - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 47Likes

post #1 of 127 Old 02-08-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Titan XD overpriced and less capable than RAM diesel 3/4

Below I have configured the Titan XD and Ram 2500 diesel to similar specifications to meet my needs. There are options on the RAM such as air suspension, dual alternators, heated fabric seats and power adjustable pedals that are not available with the Nissan. Also the RAM is 5th wheel capable, 17k towing capacity and the larger Cummins engine.

So basically I am paying the same price for a Titan XD as I would for a more powerful and capable RAM 2500. Unless Nissan would be discounting 5k or more off the price it doesn’t make sense buying the Titan.

VERSION $50,970
TITAN® XD PRO-4X
Crew Cab -
5'7'' Standard -
4x4 -
TRANSMISSION Included
6-speed automatic transmission -
COLORS * Included
PACKAGES $1,100
PRO-4X® Utility and Audio Package $1,100
ACCESSORIES -
OTHER $1,195
Destination and Handling $1,195
TOTAL
MSRP[*] $53,265

2016 RAM 2500 BIG HORN CREW CAB 4X4 6'4" BOX
MSRP $45,225
ADDED FEATURES $17,885
DESTINATION CHARGES $1,195
TOTAL $64,305
DISCOUNT ($11,000)
SELLING PRICE $53,305

POWERTRAIN
6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine $8,995
Dual Alternators Rated at 440-Amps $395
6-Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission $0
3.42 Rear Axle Ratio --
GVW Rating - 10,000 Pounds --
Auto Level Rear Air Suspension $1,595

COLORS & INTERIORS
Premium Cloth Bucket Seats $270
Black / Diesel Gray Interior Colors $0
Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat Exterior Paint $0

PACKAGES
Protection Group $50
Cold Weather Group $90
Luxury Group $1,040
Black Appearance Group $1,695

OPTIONS

Exterior
20-Inch x 8.0-Inch Black Painted Aluminum Wheels --
LT285/60R20E OWL On/Off-Road Tires --
Power Black Trailer Tow Mirrors w/Power Fold-Away $180
Rear Window Defroster $195
Center High-Mount Stop Lamp w//Cargo View Camera $325
5th Wheel / Gooseneck Towing Prep Group $400
Black Tubular Side Steps $425
Spray-In Bedliner $475

Interior
Uconnect® 8.4 $605
Power Adjustable Pedals $125
Instrument Panel Mounted Auxiliary Switches $130
Security Alarm $150
Single Disc Remote CD Player $195
ParkSense® Rear Park Assist System $250
9 Alpine® Speakers with Subwoofer $300
pyro404 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 Old 02-08-2016, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
That's probably one reason Nissan isn't selling many. First they need to build them in large quantities, plop large incentives on the hood, and cross fingers they gain market share the first year. Most important, in parallel they need to go back to the XD drawing board.

Hopefully Mr Diaz is still the right guy for the job.
post #3 of 127 Old 02-08-2016, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Another reason they probably aren't selling any is because nobody knows they exist. How many people here were surprised that Nissan did not advertise the truck for the Super Bowl?

post #4 of 127 Old 02-08-2016, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTAflex View Post
Another reason they probably aren't selling any is because nobody knows they exist. How many people here were surprised that Nissan did not advertise the truck for the Super Bowl?
I'm surprised. Nissan must have spent all their marketing money on the Heisman house.
post #5 of 127 Old 02-08-2016, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I always liked the adjustable pedals on my current Titan guess they dropped that feature in favor of the telescoping steering wheel. Good comparison for those still on the fence thank you for posting.
post #6 of 127 Old 02-08-2016, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
All the 1500's are under rams 2500's capabilities. All the super expensive Lts do not match any HD truck. It is a mute point. I like the XD but I hope they change things in the next yr. More power! Center console shifter. The scabs off the front fenders. And a headlight change. The bones of this truck are all there. I just needs a proper team of engineers to excuse the changes. When I am ready to purchase it will be this or the 2017 duramax. The truck will probably have close to 500hp and 1000tq. That much hp and an Alison trans would be hard to pass up.
Imadogman likes this.
post #7 of 127 Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
It's not a moot point.

Yes, all the 1/2 tons on the market have less rated capabilities than the 3/4 ton trucks. Logically.

The issue is, and the comparison comes from, the fact the Titan XD is LESS truck for THE SAME money as a 3/4 ton, that was labeled as being MORE truck than other 1/2 tons. Oh and it has less power than any other truck on the market; no I wouldn't be surprised if the EcoDiesel would outrun it merging onto the interstate, it's that bad.

I don't understand how folks cannot figure this out.
pyro404 likes this.

'07 Ram 3500 SRW- 5.9- Goerend- EFILive- WOP triple turbo- Exergy 200%- Carli suspension
post #8 of 127 Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparProud View Post
It's not a moot point.

Yes, all the 1/2 tons on the market have less rated capabilities than the 3/4 ton trucks. Logically.

The issue is, and the comparison comes from, the fact the Titan XD is LESS truck for THE SAME money as a 3/4 ton, that was labeled as being MORE truck than other 1/2 tons. Oh and it has less power than any other truck on the market; no I wouldn't be surprised if the EcoDiesel would outrun it merging onto the interstate, it's that bad.

I don't understand how folks cannot figure this out.
One memorable video pickup blogger review captured the XD's gutless nature was when the driver initially stepped on the peddle with a medium trailer in tow and said something like is this thing dragging an anchor? It didn't have the power he expected when towing such a small trailer.

There's a time for added girth but smaller displacement engines with half ton capability ain't one of those times. Nissan did well on initial marketing with 'Diesel Goodness' etc but failed miserably on design execution.
pyro404 likes this.
post #9 of 127 Old 02-09-2016, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Except it is a Nissan. My current Titan, a 2004 that I have owned since new, has been (and is) the best vehicle I have ever owned. 200K Miles and it has never left me on the side of the road. No rattles, groans, squeaks and the suspension and steering still tight as a drum.

The XD will give me about 3000# of increased towing capacity and about 500# more payload.

Sure, the Ram has more capacity. But it's a magnificent powerplant married to a questionable transmission, wrapped in a Fiat-Chrysler wrapper.

Not to mention that, according to the Wall Street Journal, Fiat is desperately looking for a merger partner and has made overtures to GM. If that happens (admittedly a long shot) you think GM will build it's own trucks and RAM? Or does RAM get shut down or sold...

Opinions obviously vary widely.
post #10 of 127 Old 02-09-2016, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
One memorable video pickup blogger review captured the XD's gutless nature was when the driver initially stepped on the peddle with a medium trailer in tow and said something like is this thing dragging an anchor? It didn't have the power he expected when towing such a small trailer.

There's a time for added girth but smaller displacement engines with half ton capability ain't one of those times. Nissan did well on initial marketing with 'Diesel Goodness' etc but failed miserably on design execution.
This truck would've done well at around 6500lbs. It would've been plenty stable and had plenty get up and go. Too bad Nissan didn't think of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer View Post
Except it is a Nissan. My current Titan, a 2004 that I have owned since new, has been (and is) the best vehicle I have ever owned. 200K Miles and it has never left me on the side of the road. No rattles, groans, squeaks and the suspension and steering still tight as a drum.

The XD will give me about 3000# of increased towing capacity and about 500# more payload.

Sure, the Ram has more capacity. But it's a magnificent powerplant married to a questionable transmission, wrapped in a Fiat-Chrysler wrapper.

Not to mention that, according to the Wall Street Journal, Fiat is desperately looking for a merger partner and has made overtures to GM. If that happens (admittedly a long shot) you think GM will build it's own trucks and RAM? Or does RAM get shut down or sold...

Opinions obviously vary widely.
Do a search online about Titan engine failures. They're not bullet proof. Every make has their issues. And Nissan has shown that it will not fix a problematic issue, until they are good and ready. And if the Ram has a questionable transmission, the XD does as well. The XD is unproven, at this point. Only time will tell.
Imadogman and pyro404 like this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page