• 2 Post By dragon4x4

post #1 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Txs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
warning to those installing air bags

Ordered the Air lift ultimate 5000's for helping out when towing our fifth wheel. Install was easy, straight forward.

However I've had 2 failures where the brass bushings/nuts inside of the bags have been pulled out, severing the airline and it's fitting.

Prior to the bag install, I put the rough country leveling Kit in, which included a small rear block spacer for the leaf springs, about 1.5" thick. This small amount was enough to put the bags out of their operating limits, and when driving unloaded, was actually pulling the bags apart/stretching them, causing the failure.

In conversations with Air Lift, they said the bags need between 5-7 inches at vehicle rest (unloaded) between bracket faces to ensure proper operation and longevity. I measured, and sure enough, ended up with 8.5"

The solution from them was to purchase an air bag spacer, made by them and various manufacturers, to correct the difference, most come in 2" increments.

I must mention however that the company, Air Lift, has been excellent to deal with, and are sending me replacement bags, fittings and hardware at no charge, to ensure I'm satisfied, even though the failures are a result of my modifications. Highly recommended.

Travis
Bikerndiver, dragon4x4 and Morvik like this.

Don't take advice from me. You'll end up drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Appreciate the heads up. Great info!
post #3 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
uUst install the Timbrens and never have to worry about airbags or pressure.

2017 White Titan XD Platinum Reserve Diesel 4x4

post #4 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Same thing happened to me and Air Lift asked if I had a lift kit. I said I had a Rough Country leveling kit and got the same answer you got. They also sent me two new bags and air fittings free of charge. I am super impressed with Air Lift. They are an American based business selling American made products. I almost went with Timbrens but when I found out they were made in China, I passed. My own personal standard is to not buy anything from China if I can help it.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
They are an American based business selling American made products. I almost went with Timbrens but when I found out they were made in China, I passed.
That is Music to The Ol Trump-sters Ears LOL
Bikerndiver and Got_Titan like this.

Mine: 16 Titan XD Pro4X Lux
13 Arctic Cat M800 153 Ltd
14 Triumph Street Triple 675

Hers: 15 Lexus RX350
13 Arctic Cat XF800 141 HC-Ltd
15 Triumph Street Tripe 675
post #6 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Question Air bags

If the truck is not being loaded past manufacture's specifications then why is there a need to install bags? Inquiring minds want to know.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-18-2017, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmike View Post
If the truck is not being loaded past manufacture's specifications then why is there a need to install bags? Inquiring minds want to know.
I have them on the first gen.
1. The Airlift bags improve the ride empty ~10psi.
2. I have a nice heavy TT that I use a WD hitch, and the bags set ~ 45 PSI. The ride is much improved including some sway control.
3. When I go to the lake and the wife fully loads the back, I can pump up the bags to level the truck. Not really needed for the boat, but the the added weight in the back.

4. My kids also love it when we go to the drive in.. gives about 3+ inches of lift

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 BT CC LE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

200,000 Miles 4/27/2015
423TQ & 324HP 2/2/2013

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Txs

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmike View Post
I installed a leveling kit, to have the truck sit level. Partial cosmetic, but partial for an easy couple inches of extra ground clearance. Where we go to camp/hunt/fish, most half tons make ruts only so deep. That extra couple inches of clearance keeps the skip plate up off the center enough, without going into a full lift kit.

However when I tow, or carry anything heavy, the truck is now no longer level. Adding air bags allows me to level the back end with the front, keeping headlight aim ideal, and improving the rear suspension, for both ride and handling characteristics. If I load just my quad, I add a little air to level. Add firewood, add a lot of air to level. Camper, somewhere in the middle. Gives you that adjustability, albeit at a larger risk of component failure.

Timbrens was another toss-up. If I hadn't leveled my truck, certainly would have gone that route.

Last edited by Txs; 06-19-2017 at 09:34 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Never understood why you would put a leveling kit on a truck you know you are going to load up to max capacity... there is a reason stock trucks don't sit level. But hey, to each his own.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-20-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Txs

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbliss View Post
Never understood why you would put a leveling kit on a truck you know you are going to load up to max capacity... there is a reason stock trucks don't sit level. But hey, to each his own.
Again, additional ground clearance with a side of cosmetics. Some guys do it with lift kits, some guys do it with tires. I chose to do it with a leveling kit, as it struck the right balance I needed without over-doing it.

I understand completely why stock trucks don't sit level. Regardless, with the max payload I'm putting on the pin, the truck would still squat low when the trailer was hooked up, and I would still have a squishy back-end on the washboard roads. Adding airbags enhances the control level, on top of allowing me to re-level my truck.

Don't like it, don't do it, simple as that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page