• 4 Post By 2fast4thelaw
  • 1 Post By 2fast4thelaw

post #1 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Project Rough Country 6" Lift

After a lot of research I decided to go with Rough Country for my 6Ē lift kit. It was the most complete kit including the front bumper spacer and it happened to be the least expensive kit. I had previously test drove 2 titan xdís with this kit and I was impressed by the quality of this kit and how the truck drove.

I also decided to install the kit myself as I am pretty experienced with modifying cars and trucks and I have the tools and room to do the job. I have always found it advantageous to install my own upgrades and modifications so I understand exactly how it all works so if something goes wrong I know how to fix it.

Along with the 6Ē lift kit I also purchased the steering stabilizer and the 20Ē LED light bar kit that Rough Country sells.
If you choose to install this kit yourself you will need to have the right tools on hand and I will recommend the must have tools for this job along with a good complete set of automotive tools. To do this job on this truck you need bigger than normal tools

Large Long metric end wrench set that are sized between 14mm and 24mm
Large Metric impact sockets from 14mm to 32mm
24Ē Breaker bar
24Ē Torque wrench
Large drill bits up to ĺĒ
Air Impact wrench
Grinder/Metal Cutoff wheel
A set of heavy duty 6 ton Jack Stands
Large Heavy Duty Cable ties
A good heavy duty 3 ton or higher floor jack with some blocks of wood

Most of the work you can do by yourself but there are couple of steps that will require you to have 1 or 2 of your buddies to help you out.
The Rough Country kit was very complete and all of the components were well made and the hardware was of high quality. The kit indicates that the job can be done in 8-10 hours but if you think you can do this in that time frame, think again. This install was not technically difficult, but it was physically difficult to do and very time consuming.

In all from pulling the tires off the truck to finishing the fender trimming it took me 2 Ĺ days to do this. I also had to fabricate, trim, and drill a few of the parts and instructions are basically an overview as there are many steps that are vague and or left out completely. Unless you are very experienced with modifying vehicles I wouldnít recommend attempting this on your own as itís a pretty major undertaking. It requires complete removal of the front suspension and front differential and axel. Installing the front Diff axel back into the new brackets was the hardest part of the job. I also had to drill a hole to mount the rear of the front Differential into the drop bracket as there was no hole pre-drilled. This required very careful alignment and since the front axle is very heavy it was quite difficult to get it mounted back in the truck. I had 2 of my buddies help me with this and it took 2 hours to get it mounted back in.

You will want to take lots of pictures and make sure you snap photos of the alignment bolts for the lower control arms. This allowed me to pre-align the suspension back to where it was before I took everything apart. I messed up the studs on the strut extensions by trying to seat them with an air impact wrench and I stripped them out. I ended up having to buy some bolts and then welded them in from the backside. Also the cutting that they instructed you to do on the stock cross member on the right side was unnecessary but I didnít realize this until after I installed the new cross member.

The front of the truck lift kit install was ĺ of the whole job and was the most difficult part. The rear suspension components were much easier to install and the rear of the truck only took me 4 hours to finish while the front took at least 16 hours to do. A lot of that time was lost with having to weld bolts and cut and trim things to fit properly. I canít imagine anyone being able to install this kit in 8 hours their first time as there are steps involved where you will hit road blocks where you have to fight your way through it. It was definitely the most challenging project I have ever taken on and I have a lot of pride in accomplishing it and having it installed correctly.

Even after installing the front bumper extension I still had to trim the inside corners of the front bumper as well as the back of the fender. My wheels are 20X10 -24 offset so the extra offset made my tires stick out about 2Ē from the fender which is why trimming was necessary but minor.
The front LED light bar was a piece of cake to install and wire in. Also the Steering stabilizer was very simple to install as well but I had to do some minor trimming to get it to fit the bracket. With 35X12.5X20r tires you really want the steering stabilizer to avoid bump steer. Especially if youíre like me and like to hop curbs and medians.

Once everything was installed I test drove it and was very pleasantly surprised that the ride of the truck was not compromised. Itís slightly bouncier and the steering has a heavier feel to it but the truck still rides great. The Nitto Ridge Grappler tires are awesome and they are amazingly quiet!
I was expecting to notice power loss and fuel economy loss but again I was very pleasantly surprised that I didnít really notice any power loss over stock and my fuel economy didnít drop. I still get 15 to 16 mpg in town. When I drove a lifted Titan XD with the gas engine the power loss was dramatic. With all the extra torque from the diesel engine the tire size really didnít faze it much at all.

The look of the truck is dramatic over stock and itís awesome to drive sitting up higher. You definitely feel road superiority in driving this truck lifted. People are much better at getting out of your way too. I used to have dodge ram guys getting all idiotic and wanting to race me but after itís been lifted that all ended. Now I just look down and smile when I am stopped next to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2081.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	26266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2079.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	26274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2077.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	26282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2076.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	26290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2074.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	26298  

Name:	IMG_2073.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	26306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2071.JPG
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	26314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2069.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	26322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2067.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	26330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1944.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	26338  

2016 Platinum Reserve Blue and Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Here are the photos after the install
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	titan_xd_stablilizer_-_87368.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	26394   Click image for larger version

Name:	nissan-lift-kit_87720-base_1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	26402   Click image for larger version

Name:	nissan-led-bumper-kit-chrome_70646-base-install_1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	26410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2091.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	26418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2089.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	26426  

Name:	IMG_2085.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	26434  

post #3 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Looks awesome. Are you saying you didn't have to chop up the truck then? I've debated the 6, but didn't want to chop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2016 Titan XD 5.0

Stock for now

post #4 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Trimming was very minor and you cant even tell I cut anything. If you had 0 offset wheels I doubt you would have to trim anything.

The cross-member pieces I cut out I saved along with all of the stock components in case I ever needed to put it back to stock. I can re-weld them in very easily. I also was hesitant about cutting but once you start installing the kit, cutting is the least of your worries. The new crossmember and bolts you are putting are much heavier duty than stock. the bolts are 5/8" diameter and grade 8.8 so its waaaay overkill.

Last edited by 2fast4thelaw; 06-16-2017 at 03:50 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4thelaw View Post
Trimming was very minor and you cant even tell I cut anything. If you had 0 offset wheels I doubt you would have to trim anything.

The cross-member pieces I cut out I saved along with all of the stock components in case I ever needed to put it back to stock. I can re-weld them in very easily. I also was hesitant about cutting but once you start installing the kit, cutting is the least of your worries. The new crossmember and bolts you are putting are much heavier duty than stock. the bolts are 5/8" diameter and grade 8.8 so its waaaay overkill.
Are they Metric or SAE? SAE bolts are judged by Grade, Metric by class, a Class 8.8 bolt is the equivalent of a Grade 5, Class 10.9 is equivalent to Grade 8

2017 Titan S 2WD 5.6l Endurance v8
Lund 22685133 Nerf Bars
post #6 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4thelaw View Post
The look of the truck is dramatic over stock and itís awesome to drive sitting up higher. You definitely feel road superiority in driving this truck lifted. People are much better at getting out of your way too. I used to have dodge ram guys getting all idiotic and wanting to race me but after itís been lifted that all ended. Now I just look down and smile when I am stopped next to them.
I completely agree. I went with the 6" calming lift and love driving this truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side4.jpg
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	26466  

2016 Titan XD Pro-4X Cayenne Red (2 tone)
post #7 of 10 Old 06-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Well done!
post #8 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey Jim, Your truck looks awesome!
jungle jim likes this.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Looking at the second and third picture of your front end completely missing, made me cringe a little. But the pictures when it was completed looks awesome. Well done!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 PRO-4X Diesel
post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timthescarred View Post
Are they Metric or SAE? SAE bolts are judged by Grade, Metric by class, a Class 8.8 bolt is the equivalent of a Grade 5, Class 10.9 is equivalent to Grade 8
Hmmmm I am pretty sure that grade 8 and 8.8 apply to either SAE or Metric sized bolts but I have been wrong before. Anyway, to answer your question the bolts are all Metric except there were a few that were 1/2" SAE for some mounting brackets in the kit.

Last edited by 2fast4thelaw; 06-19-2017 at 06:14 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page