• 1 Post By AZPRO4X
  • 1 Post By ccochran79

post #1 of 3 Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First tow impressions; Titan Box as Cooler

Hot spring/summer like conditions have arrived so we needed to get the family out and play in this warm weather before the snow come back! Had the opportunity to head out to the west Desert from Salt Lake City yesterday to ride ATVs! Drove about 90 min each way in the XD. We rode quads for about 5 hours total with breaks included.

18 foot tandem axel trailer weighing in at about 3500 pounds. I used a B&W model 10 hitch. Conditions were really windy. At the gas station in town, the wind was really strong and the wind was even more powerful out in the desert which made riding conditions interesting!

The XD has a super stable platform. Absolutely incredible! I didn't feel like I was being pushed around even with all the wind. Many times I found myself going 85 without realizing it. (I don't like towing faster than 70 for safety reasons, and axel bearing wear reasons) I used the tow mode and it did a fine job! My journey was basically flat, so no testing going up and down hills. Again, I couldn't believe how effortless, and stress-free the tow was. I could barely tell I was towing in both the ride comfort and power department. I can now see that this is what the Titan likes to do- Open road towing mile after mile.

The trailer brake seemed to work just fine however the plug didn't feel like it was a very tight fit at all compared to all other vehicles I have hooked up. Maybe I will have the dealer look at it. I also need to play around with the settings. I had the brake controller power set to 1.5. The other setting I had in the middle. I think it was b-3 or something like that. (I assume that setting is how fast the controller ramps up to full braking power?)

I was very pleased with the towing of this rig! Can't believe how stable and powerful the XD is, and performs!

On a side note, I used one of the Titan boxes as a cooler, and it was pretty slick! Really neat idea for sure. We kept our soda and sandwiches in there. It was great keeping our drinks in the boxes without the need for an auxiliary cooler. We took a couple of rests from riding hanging out on the tailgate and relaxing. The Titan boxes are really cool for sure!

2016 Pro4-X Gasser
Pearl White Monotone

Playing Living in the Rocky Mountains of Utah!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-19-2017, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
B-3 is the boost setting, you have 1 threw 3.
Btw, the bearings on the trailer or the truck for that matter don't care or know if you are doing 5 mph or 200. The rating on the trailer tires are usually the speed limiting part of the trailer.
I guess you'll think I'm crazy for pulling my 20' flatbed with 3 quads on it at 95 mph :-), 75-80mph is the flat normal.
Glad you enjoyed your new XD.
babyhead likes this.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....

Last edited by AZPRO4X; 03-19-2017 at 12:58 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-20-2017, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I towed really for the first time this morning with the XD and I concur. I was very please with the towing. My TT is small and pretty light but this truck did much better than my old 2005 Titan. Had to bring my trailer up to Salt lake to have some work done on it.
babyhead likes this.

2016 Titan XD SL Diesel
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page