Slide in Truck Camper tie downs - Nissan Titan XD Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Slide in Truck Camper tie downs

I know this is the Towing section, but there is no Hauling section, so....
If any of you are hauling a slide in truck camper like I do, I wanted to pass on some info that may be helpful.

I just ordered Torklift front tiedowns N2410 which are made specifically for the Nissan Titan XD. When they arrived, I inspected them and they are a well built product and should last many, many years!
However, the instruction manual is wrong...at least for my truck built 03/16.
The manual shows two holes under the frame that are needed to thread bolts through the frame to their ultimate destination where they will bolt on the tiedown. I only have one hole in my frame, not two.

This little issue snowballs into another issue later in the installation, but I did notify Torklift and I don't need to go into that here. But if anyone with a slide in camper is getting ready to pull the trigger on these mounts, let me know and I'll walk you through what I had to do to make the install work.

One more thing...the bolts that hold the bed to the frame are held on by Loctite.... I wish that had been noted in the instructions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have been looking around everywhere for information on Torklift Tie-Downs. I have a 2017 XD, and the spec sheet only lists compatibility through 2016. So they tell me they don't carry anything for my rig. I have been thinking about just ordering the N2410 for the front and the N3404 for the back. But haven't pulled the trigger due to too much uncertainty. But I'm thinking it should fit? Any thoughts?
post #3 of 10 Old 03-24-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanXDinWA View Post
I have been looking around everywhere for information on Torklift Tie-Downs. I have a 2017 XD, and the spec sheet only lists compatibility through 2016. So they tell me they don't carry anything for my rig. I have been thinking about just ordering the N2410 for the front and the N3404 for the back. But haven't pulled the trigger due to too much uncertainty. But I'm thinking it should fit? Any thoughts?
I'm pretty sure the rear ones will fit because the mounting holes at the back are used for other accessories that are sold for both model years. However the front could be different.... I could take some pics of the front mounting holes and you can match them up.

A gun is like a parachute...if you need one, and don't have one...You'll never need one again.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-30-2017, 05:34 PM

Garage
Here are some pictures of the 2017 frame at the front of the bed, passenger side. Maybe you can compare them to what you saw on the 2016?

I talked to Torklift and they could not confirm the tie-downs from the 2016 XD would fit. But, since they are local to me, they scheduled me an appt to have their engineers review my truck for fitment, with hopes to update their spec sheet. Im guessing this will be in a couple of weeks. I'll post what I find out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170325_153035807.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	22290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170325_153046338.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	22298  
post #5 of 10 Old 03-30-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Here are some pictures of the 2017 frame at the front of the bed, passenger side. Maybe you can compare them to what you saw on the 2016?

I talked to Torklift and they could not confirm the tie-downs from the 2016 XD would fit. But, since they are local to me, they scheduled me an appt to have their engineers review my truck for fitment, with hopes to update their spec sheet. Im guessing this will be in a couple of weeks. I'll post what I find out.
Just saw this post. Too dark right now to go look, but those frame holes do not seem to be the same to the best of my recollection.... I will check first thing in the morning and followup.

A gun is like a parachute...if you need one, and don't have one...You'll never need one again.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-30-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:

BTW, I meant to tell you.... The installation directions that came with my front tiedowns were WAY off! I wrote to Torklift and gave them a full explanation of what was wrong, but never heard back from them.... It was a major goof in the installation guide.

post #7 of 10 Old 04-25-2017, 01:44 PM

Garage
Finally got into Torklift for an appointment with their engineers. They installed the tie downs spec'd for the 2016 on my 2017 and reported no issues with the install. So they should be updating their spec sheet soon to include 2017s. I'm not sure what issues you ran into during your install, if they ran into them too they didn't report them to me. Just happy to have them installed so I can get the camper on before summer gets here.

I currently don't have any suspension upgrades in the rear. I am going with a 1700 lb popup camper. I figured I could see what kind of squat that causes and modify from there. Torklift recommended airbags. But I think I like the maintenance free option with Timbrens. But I suppose I will cross that bridge when I get there.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-26-2017, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Finally got into Torklift for an appointment with their engineers. They installed the tie downs spec'd for the 2016 on my 2017 and reported no issues with the install. So they should be updating their spec sheet soon to include 2017s. I'm not sure what issues you ran into during your install, if they ran into them too they didn't report them to me. Just happy to have them installed so I can get the camper on before summer gets here.

I currently don't have any suspension upgrades in the rear. I am going with a 1700 lb popup camper. I figured I could see what kind of squat that causes and modify from there. Torklift recommended airbags. But I think I like the maintenance free option with Timbrens. But I suppose I will cross that bridge when I get there.
The issues I ran into were the holes in the frame that are used to snake the bolts into place do not exist at all on my truck. The bolts can still be snaked through the frame to the correct location, but NOT by following the directions that come with the kit. I'm sure that they saw that and will update the instructions....

I also have a popup truck camper, Palomino 1251, that weighs 1700 pounds. I found that the truck doesn't squat, but the truck didn't handle highway on ramps and off ramps as well as I would have liked. I put the rear air bags on and in the last year, there have been no maintenance issues with those bags. I run about 80 pounds in the bags with the camper on and about 20 pounds with the camper off, although I could go to 10 pounds with no weight I suppose....

I also had to build a basement under my camper in order to get the camper above the bed rails. Just an FYI....

Enjoy your camping season!

post #9 of 10 Old 04-26-2017, 10:33 AM

Garage
That is very good advice! We are in fact looking at a Palomino 1251. They are way over-priced in Washington, as compared to the Mid-West. So we were going to drive out to the Mid-West to buy one. It would have been rough to get all the way there and have it not fit right. Do you happen to have the dimensions handy on the basement? I'd rather get something setup before venturing out east.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-26-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
That is very good advice! We are in fact looking at a Palomino 1251. They are way over-priced in Washington, as compared to the Mid-West. So we were going to drive out to the Mid-West to buy one. It would have been rough to get all the way there and have it not fit right. Do you happen to have the dimensions handy on the basement? I'd rather get something setup before venturing out east.
I have a 2010 palomino 1251. Don't know if the one you are looking for is built the same, but if it is, you will need something. I took three 2x6's turned on their edge like joists and screwed on strips of 1/2" plywood on the top and bottom. The joists are laid out so that the ones on the edges are about a half inch from the wheel wells and parrallel to the bed of the truck. The "middle" one is not in the middle, but offset slightly to the drivers side. This gives me one basement compartment wider than another for storage purposes. The 1/2" strips of plywood go from edge joist to edge joist and are about a foot wide. The strip closest to the tailgate overhangs the joists by about an inch. I did this so i could put a full width door with a piano hinge at the tailgate end. Then i can store stuff, flip the door up, use my slide latches and not worry about anything falling out as i travel. The strips are screwed to the joists with deck screws. I used strips instead of a full sheet because that would have weighed a LOT!!! I fasten the basement to the truck by using turnbuckles and hooks. The hooks are through a joist and then attached to the front corner tiedowns in the truck bed.

Hope this gives you an idea of what you need to do. Oh, and BTW....If you are using a plastic bed liner...take it out. Everything slides around on that stuff.

One other thing that is very important!!!! You need to maintain about 5inches between the front of your camper and the bed of the truck near the cab. I do this by placing a 4x4 about 36 inches long on top of the basement. This 4x4 has a 2x4 screwed to it to make the 5 inch space. Slide your truck camper in and STOP when you get to that spacer. If you don't you will hit your rear parking light assembly and crack the lens!!! Don't even ask how I found that out....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page