Engine RPM fluttering - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine RPM fluttering

I've browsed a number of other topics that sound similar, but not identical so apologies if I've misinterpreted and am reporting in the same thing.

Many times (but not all) when I am under light/medium acceleration the engine RPMs flutter just before shifting. This most often seems to happen between 1500 and 1750 RPMs and is just before shifting. The fluttering seems to be 50-100 RPMs up and down. It doesn't seem to be a transmission or torque management thing like others report.

If I accelerate faster and thus stay in the 1500-1750 range for less time, it doesn't seem to occur and if I accelerate much slower so the transmission shifts at/before 1500 RPMs, it doesn't occur.

My truck has a build date of 4/2016. I've attached a video so you can see the tach and can hear the engine if you turn up the volume high enough. You can see the fluttering about 20 seconds in. I've had it do slightly worse than what the video shows but it's never terrible, a bit annoying though. Curious if others are experiencing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Garage
from the looks of it that is from the computers talking with each other trying to sort out what your doing with the intended shift points, because your not hard on the pedal its trying to figure things out. Should i shift early or wait is he going to hit the throttle a bit more is he letting off...
my truck does this too, so ive just come down to the idea of dont feather the pedal because its annoying, giver beans everywhere lol.
dmcgaugh likes this.

Mine: 16 Titan XD Pro4X Lux
13 Arctic Cat M800 153 Ltd
14 Triumph Street Triple 675

Hers: 15 Lexus RX350
13 Arctic Cat XF800 141 HC-Ltd
15 Triumph Street Tripe 675
post #3 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
An annoying, hopefully reprogrammable, feature of the engine / automatic combo. The Tundra didn't have that annoying trait, the pairing was impeccable.

That's the only thing making me long for a 6 speed manual in this truck...

post #4 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Have the same issue, thought it was a feature of being new and in learn mode. At 1361miles, it should have a better idea one would think. I don't know if its a product of transmission related shudder or the fueling. Do me a favor and while in Park, very slowly raise the rpms to about 2k. Just want to see if your engine hunts like mine till about that speed. Meeting with reps on Friday to hash out some issues. Like to see if more folks have this issue.

BigRed

2016 Titan XD Pro4X Diesel
post #5 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Do you have any accessories on, like AC?
post #6 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
There is comfort in knowing that others are experiencing the issue.

This morning when that video was taken I did not have the AC on. I believe it may be slightly worse with the AC on. It may also be slightly worse after the engine is warmed up too. I've not proved either of those conclusively though.

I'll try revving it in Park tonight when I get home.

post #7 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I have this exact issue!! (speaking from a symptom point of view)

But to make it more interesting I have the 5.6 engine. Only does it during light throttle, most of the time it's about as shown in your video but has fluttered by as much as 300-500 rpm until it figures out what to do.

Please keep us updated with your findings.
post #8 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts954 View Post
I have this exact issue!! (speaking from a symptom point of view)

But to make it more interesting I have the 5.6 engine. Only does it during light throttle, most of the time it's about as shown in your video but has fluttered by as much as 300-500 rpm until it figures out what to do.

Please keep us updated with your findings.
My 5.6 does it too, not as bad. Mine seems to do it from 2nd to 3rd, or like I like to compare it to, 2nd to 4th as it seems. Only does it I when light in the throttle. Drops from about 2k to 1300 RPMs then flutters up to around 1500. I have discovered that this 5.6 requires constant acceleration on gas pedal through the gears until desired speed, my 04 Titan you could hold the RPMs steady and let the truck speed up to catch up.
post #9 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
dmcgaugh,

"I'll try revving it in Park tonight when I get home"

Please do....it'd be interesting to see if yours does the same thing. But by the sounds of this particular issue, sounds like a form of torque management maybe or the TCM playing catch-up to the throttle input??? Odd being the same symptoms with two completely different engines and transmissions exhibiting the same characteristics. Without digging into the programming I'm stumped, no way to read the tea leaves not having access to real-time data.

BigRed

2016 Titan XD Pro4X Diesel
post #10 of 32 Old 06-14-2016, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgaugh View Post
There is comfort in knowing that others are experiencing the issue.

This morning when that video was taken I did not have the AC on. I believe it may be slightly worse with the AC on. It may also be slightly worse after the engine is warmed up too. I've not proved either of those conclusively though.

I'll try revving it in Park tonight when I get home.

I agree, not that I would wish a potential issue on anyone but seems more likely to get resolved if many report it. I was hoping it would go away with miles but doesn't seem to be after 2000 miles.

Mine does seem to be worse once everything is warmed up. Also as well as when going slightly up hill.

I wonder what could be in common between the two from a programming perspective

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page