Thinking of doing a oil change at 5k miles - Page 2 - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 18 Old 03-07-2017, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just changed the oil in my diesel Pro 4X at 6k miles and intend on doing it every 6k. Like everyone said, suit your taste/needs. I for one cannot see using motor oil for more than 6k miles in the blistering summers we have here in Central Texas.

For what it's worth, changing the oil on this truck was the easiest I've ever done on a truck - so 6k frequency does not bother me the slightest. (Comparing to changes on Silverados and RAMs - I've never had a shop change oil on my vehicles in 18 years)

I used the OEM oil filter ($9) and T5 Shell Rotella Synthetic Blend 10w30 ($14/gal. At O'Reilly's).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Vann5 likes this.

-Jordan
Titan XD Pro 4X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 03-07-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Will be changing mine this weekend just because it has been in the truck over a year (3600 miles). Average about 7500 per year so an annual change works for me.

2016 Pearl White SL 2x4 Diesel
post #13 of 18 Old 03-07-2017, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkdog View Post
Me no trust a computer for oil change or anything else.
SkyNet is real

Chances of anyone actually keeping their vehicles long enough for sludge to become a problem even at 20K intervals is slim.
There is a open thread that Blackstone showed the oil life was still good @ 9600 miles.
All of the manufacturerS are extending the intervals & Diesel motors have always have longer intervals to begin with.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....

Last edited by AZPRO4X; 03-07-2017 at 08:59 AM.

post #14 of 18 Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPRO4X View Post
SkyNet is real

Chances of anyone actually keeping their vehicles long enough for sludge to become a problem even at 20K intervals is slim.
There is a open thread that Blackstone showed the oil life was still good @ 9600 miles.
All of the manufacturerS are extending the intervals & Diesel motors have always have longer intervals to begin with.
Because diesel oils have been designed to suspend particulates and keep them suspended, diesel engines have been made to accommodate a much larger sump quantity than a comparable gasoline engine. The physical properties of the oil maintain integrity longer, even with particulates.

Change the oil on your truck whenever you feel like it is warranted. It's your truck. I changed mine at 7500 for its first interval because I happened to drive past the dealership where I bought it and don't get by there very often. The first one was free, didn't want to pass that up. But from now on, I will use the computer to tell me when. (Mine is the one in the referenced Blackstone thread). I've always been a big believer in oil analysis from decades in the aerospace industry.

MB
AZPRO4X and TitanXD1101 like this.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-14-2017, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had mine changed at 4k by the Nissan dealer,300$ for the fuel and oil & filter change and I brought my own oil!!!
The reason I changed my oil at 4k is twofold, #1 lotta crap in break in oil, although the oil might go 10k the filter will be packed.
#2 I just don't like how much egr these things have to consume, the acidic blow by from making a engine eat it's own poop cannot be good for anything.

2016 XD PR
post #16 of 18 Old 03-17-2017, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sky net is Alive! LOVE IT. Actually i forgot to point out that the original oil is for break in period? Thoughts? I've got my oil and filter and not ready to change yet as in only 3900 miles.

Last edited by Walkdog; 03-17-2017 at 02:57 AM.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-17-2017, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkdog View Post
Sky net is Alive! LOVE IT. Actually i forgot to point out that the original oil is for break in period? Thoughts? I've got my oil and filter and not ready to change yet as in only 3900 miles.
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember during my tour at Cummins that they stated the oil that goes in the engine at cold and hot test cell stations is the oil that remains in the engine during delivery to Nissan. They didn't indicate that it needed to be replaced at any interval other than the chassis manufacturer's recommendations.

Again, change the oil whenever you feel like it. Decreased mileage intervals won't hurt anything other than your wallet.

MB
post #18 of 18 Old 03-18-2017, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I changed mine with Rotella T6 5-40 at 6000 and found out afterward that it came from the factory two quarts low....Go Figure!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page