First ReGen - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 12 Old 04-19-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First ReGen

I'm pretty sure I just experienced my first Regen since I bought the truck last week. Left my house for work which is about 18 miles 90% hwy with an average of 17.9mpg showing on the display. By the time I got to work it had dropped all the way too 14.1. This is with cruise control set to 65 the whole way. WOW, I about had a **** heart attack lol. My main question is does the truck not tell you that it is actually doing the regen? Would be since to know so I don't cut it off in the middle of it right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekielguy86 View Post
I'm pretty sure I just experienced my first Regen since I bought the truck last week. Left my house for work which is about 18 miles 90% hwy with an average of 17.9mpg showing on the display. By the time I got to work it had dropped all the way too 14.1. This is with cruise control set to 65 the whole way. WOW, I about had a **** heart attack lol. My main question is does the truck not tell you that it is actually doing the regen? Would be since to know so I don't cut it off in the middle of it right?
No, the manufacturers don't put a warning light because they tend to freak uniformed owners out & it's cheaper.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....
post #3 of 12 Old 04-19-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPRO4X View Post
No, the manufacturers don't put a warning light because they tend to freak uninformed owners out & it's cheaper.
That is kinda crappy. My buddy has a 2012 F250 and at least a little dummy light comes on says cleaning exhaust filter or something like that.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-19-2017, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I see one every tank full. You will also notice a higher idle when in regen. Good thing about your commute is that it is close to the drive time required to do a soft-regen.

2016 Pearl White SL 2x4 Diesel
post #5 of 12 Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch n Water View Post
I see one every tank full. You will also notice a higher idle when in regen. Good thing about your commute is that it is close to the drive time required to do a soft-regen.
Wow every tank that seems a bit much. Why do they do so much?
post #6 of 12 Old 04-19-2017, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
It all depends on your driving habit and what kind of driving you do 90% of the time. If you drive city a lot then you will have more regens than you would if you drove highway all the time. Also I think how broken in your truck is to plays a part in the regens but that's just me. I bought my truck in January with 40 something miles on it for the first 5 months I had a regen every 1-2 fill ups. And now I just had my first regen last week in a month and a half. I still have the same driving habits and the same mixture of city and highway driving. And I know the only reason I regened last week was because I got caught in stop and go traffic for 40 min.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-19-2017, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
And to touch on your other question, it is ok to shut off while a regen is ongoing. It will just start back up the next time you drive it after it gets to temp. Happened to me a few times where I was almost to work when is starts. I shut'er down, and the regen kicks back in on the drive home. However, I would not make it a habit - if you can continue driving until it's complete then do so.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I kinda like when mine is in regen- it drives like a scalded dog plus it's the only time I can get a whiff of that real diesel engine smell. Mine tended to regen a lot more in winter- I had times when I couldn't run it around at highway speed and like other said it just kicks back in when the engine gets up to temp. I've never had the "you must run it at highway speeds for 45 minutes" light kick on.

regen can be a little quirky but no regrets about the diesel when it's time to tow a camper for a couple thousand miles at a time.

2016 Pro 4X
Cumminatya from the Hoosier state home of Cummins Diesel!
post #9 of 12 Old 04-20-2017, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
https://cumminsengines.com/cummins-particulate-filter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-20-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Like others have posted, driving habits will dictate regens. My commute is only 7 miles so the engine is just getting warm to and from work. Also mentioned was it being okay to shut down during regen. I occasionally do but once I did not complete the regen and shut it down on 3 occasions. I got the "Reduced Engine Power" warning but it went away quickly and was able to complete the process. The diesel is a PIA during the winter when not camping but I am hooking up this afternoon to use it for what it was made for.

2016 Pearl White SL 2x4 Diesel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page