2Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Engine Noise

So my truck is back in the shop. Yesterday my truck tried to start twice but was unsuccessful. On the third attempt, it finally started after struggling for approximately 8 seconds. Before shifting into drive, a low fuel pressure warning popped up. I was running midway between an 1/8th and 1/4 tank of fuel, so I ran to the gas station 1.5 miles up the road. Before I pulled in, the gauge went straight to empty. I filled the tank and the truck immediately started up. I then noticed this noise. Almost like spark plugs firing on a gas engine or lifter noise. Now it's more of a chirping sound. Makes me think bearing issue on the turbo. No noise at idle so I'm confused as to what it would be.

Anyhow, still waiting to hear from the service center. Hopefully they will fix the alignment again as it's still pulling to the right; especially under braking. Also has a nice knock-type sound whenever making a sharp 90 deg turn.

Here's a video I took with my phone under the hood. Hopefully the experts here have an opinion. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/ef83yfqUIUg

2017 Nissan Titan SL 4x4 Diesel w/Chrome Package
2016 Nissan Murano Platinum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Unhappy same symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknjoe28 View Post
So my truck is back in the shop. Yesterday my truck tried to start twice but was unsuccessful. On the third attempt, it finally started after struggling for approximately 8 seconds. Before shifting into drive, a low fuel pressure warning popped up. I was running midway between an 1/8th and 1/4 tank of fuel, so I ran to the gas station 1.5 miles up the road. Before I pulled in, the gauge went straight to empty. I filled the tank and the truck immediately started up. I then noticed this noise. Almost like spark plugs firing on a gas engine or lifter noise. Now it's more of a chirping sound. Makes me think bearing issue on the turbo. No noise at idle so I'm confused as to what it would be.

Anyhow, still waiting to hear from the service center. Hopefully they will fix the alignment again as it's still pulling to the right; especially under braking. Also has a nice knock-type sound whenever making a sharp 90 deg turn.

Here's a video I took with my phone under the hood. Hopefully the experts here have an opinion. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/ef83yfqUIUg
So I experienced almost same symptoms as you did; had trouble starting up (low fuel warning with about 50mi to empty); fillled up tank and starting struggle went away.
Experiencing alignment issue since I started driving (900 mi on odometer so far); and I do notice click/knock/ cv boot type noise under sharp turns; I initially thought that tires are rubbing interior plastic liner but cannot pin point sound source. taking it to dealership to have several items checked (cabin fuel smell, transmission shifting issue, turn noise, alignment etc)...
the R'&D as well as quality control on this model seems to be much lower than it's competitor options.
Louisiana Pro4X likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Thread moved.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-03-2017, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Garage
Do either your trucks fall under the fuel breather tube recall and if so, has it been done?

2016 Titan XD PR 4x4, bone stock
post #5 of 14 Old 02-03-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slurpee3 View Post
Do either your trucks fall under the fuel breather tube recall and if so, has it been done?
Yes, that was done at 900 miles along with the TCM reflash. Truck was out of the shop for 10 days before going back yesterday.

post #6 of 14 Old 02-03-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Took another video since I was able to hit a back country road and not a parking lot.

https://youtu.be/aDaYKsEkqII

post #7 of 14 Old 02-03-2017, 04:56 PM
xxx

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I guess I have to wonder why anyone would let the fuel get that low in the first place especially with all the threads posted about fuel gauge in-accuracy ??? ???? especially a diesel vehicle ..all the bad junk lives in the bottom of the tank.. maybe its just a diesel thing ??? xxx
pete likes this.

XXX
post #8 of 14 Old 02-07-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Picked up my truck last night. Sounds like a kitten now. Seems to have a bit more power as well. I guess the belt replacement did the trick. He said the outlet hose also was leaking but that did not fix the noise issue when they readjusted.

On a negative note, hit my 4th regen at 1603 miles; 10 miles after picking it up.

post #9 of 14 Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had a bad belt too, squeaked something awful. Just had it replaced and sounds much better. So other people are having pop/click noises with the CV during tight turn? Hope it breaks under warranty or lasts forever...
post #10 of 14 Old 02-20-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Noise has returned and truck is headed back to the shop tomorrow morning. Made a 420 mile drive over the weekend and 20 miles into the noise resurfaced. Gas mileage has dropped again and acceleration seems sluggish. Going to ask about the CV pop as well. #FingersCrossed #Strike2

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page