DEF System Error-third time - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 03-09-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation DEF System Error-third time

I dont understand how this is legitimately possible.

For the third f*ckin time in 3 months I have had to go to my dealership to get this stupid DEF System Error bullsh*t addressed.

They have done everything short of replacing the entire DEF System.

They told me about software flashes, they told me about filling up my DEF (I still cant fathom how this was actually said to me after having 12K on the truck).

I called Nissan Customer affairs already. If they do not give me a definitive guarantee that this problem is solved, I am returning this truck. Its one thing if this was a mechanical failure that spontaneously happened but this is a repeating occurrence. What if I was stuck out in the middle of bumble-f*ck hundreds of miles from home? I would be limited to 5MPH with a thumb up my fat @ss.

Has anyone else had this problem and successfully resolved it? This country sucks so much with its regulations on diesel. Its such a disgrace that we are allowing this type of behavior and regulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-09-2017, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I had that issue and they replace tank which has sensor in it. It hasn't returned in three thousand miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 Old 03-09-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.wilson.182940 View Post
I had that issue and they replace tank which has sensor in it. It hasn't returned in three thousand miles

Did they ever end up telling you why they needed to replace the tank? Was it just swapping out parts or was there something wrong with you tank/sensor? Was there a bad batch during the assembly or did yours get damaged?

post #4 of 17 Old 03-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What is your build date?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-09-2017, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustinNutz91 View Post
Did they ever end up telling you why they needed to replace the tank? Was it just swapping out parts or was there something wrong with you tank/sensor? Was there a bad batch during the assembly or did yours get damaged?

They never really said but I did ask if it was a updated part number. He said no but it was a different patch production. Not sure if they had a bad run or not. Some one posted in here that it is bubbles on the sensor causing it. He recommended tapping on tank or running over bumps to clear

post #6 of 17 Old 03-09-2017, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Garage
My 13 5500 Ram give me Issues all the time with the DEF and Emissions (it was in the shop 2 weeks ago) the truck has 80K on the dial.... its not just the Nissans having problems.

Every new Diesel since 2008 has major problems with the DEF and Emission systems. If you want a Diesel that is free of problems than delete it plain and simple or buy yourself a nice low miled 2007. If not your going to have to deal with it unfortunately.

Lets all hope, Ol' Trump-ster tells the EPA to go fly a kite in a lighting storm and he relaxes the emissions. Because this will never end.

Mine: 16 Titan XD Pro4X Lux
13 Arctic Cat M800 153 Ltd
14 Triumph Street Triple 675

Hers: 15 Lexus RX350
13 Arctic Cat XF800 141 HC-Ltd
15 Triumph Street Tripe 675
post #7 of 17 Old 03-10-2017, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustinNutz91 View Post
I dont understand how this is legitimately possible.

For the third f*ckin time in 3 months I have had to go to my dealership to get this stupid DEF System Error bullsh*t addressed.

They have done everything short of replacing the entire DEF System.

They told me about software flashes, they told me about filling up my DEF (I still cant fathom how this was actually said to me after having 12K on the truck).

I called Nissan Customer affairs already. If they do not give me a definitive guarantee that this problem is solved, I am returning this truck. Its one thing if this was a mechanical failure that spontaneously happened but this is a repeating occurrence. What if I was stuck out in the middle of bumble-f*ck hundreds of miles from home? I would be limited to 5MPH with a thumb up my fat @ss.

Has anyone else had this problem and successfully resolved it? This country sucks so much with its regulations on diesel. Its such a disgrace that we are allowing this type of behavior and regulation.

I had the problem once. The dealer replaced the tank and in 4,000 miles I have had no repeat of the warning.... My production date was 03/16
post #8 of 17 Old 03-18-2017, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My truck has 14k miles on it and it just happened yesterday. I filled the DEF tank from a truck stop pump when it had 5% remaining. The dealer is playing the "you must have gotten a bad tank of DEF" game right now.

I'm in a Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel rental for now. After driving my Titan for 14k miles, the Dodge feels like a truck for a caveman. The Titan has so much more finesse.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-18-2017, 02:23 PM
xxx

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanspeedbump View Post
my truck has 14k miles on it and it just happened yesterday. I filled the def tank from a truck stop pump when it had 5% remaining. The dealer is playing the "you must have gotten a bad tank of def" game right now.

I'm in a dodge 2500 4x4 diesel rental for now. After driving my titan for 14k miles, the dodge feels like a truck for a caveman. The titan has so much more finesse.
i usually regard anything a dealership says as a bare faced lie but in the bad def case he could have a point ... Until provern otherwise the def could be the culprit..i think i am going to purchase a def refractometer for myself to check the fluid with.. A complete kit sells for about $100.00 and they are quite accurate.. They can be found on fleabay ... Xxx
MTXDPro4x likes this.

XXX

Last edited by xxx; 03-18-2017 at 09:29 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-18-2017, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx View Post
i usually regard anything a dealership says as a bare faced lie but in the bad def case he could have a point ... Until provern otherwise the def could be the culprit..i think i am going to purchase a def refractometer for myself to check the fluid with.. A complete kit sells for about $100.00 and they are quite accurate.. They can be found on fleabay ... Xxx
I agree with XXX. FCA had similar issues with DEF systems on the Eco diesel early on and a number of dealers were trying to pass it off as bad DEF. Definitely get a sample if the dealership and / or Nissan doesn't step up and make it right - especially before they dump what you have in your DEF tank.

16 Titan XD Cummins Diesel Pro4x
Access Cover, Husky Weather Beater Mats
1950 Ford F1 Truck
2013 HD Super Glide Custom

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page