14Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 03-14-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
New tcm update question???

Just had tcm updated this past Thursday, shifts seem much better however 2nd to 1st shift doesn't take place until I stop and is rather annoying. Almost feels like getting a push from behind when coming to a complete stop. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this with the latest update
tbarrettcpa likes this.

Last edited by Jacraig1720; 03-14-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-14-2017, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Garage
I am and have been having this problem for about 6K now its a real PITA. I don't understand why the truck needs to idle up when its come to a stop in gear. I get they are just trying to get it warm but man its annoying.

I just had my truck in for this issue again got another flash... there is no resolution apparently, my truck only does it when its cold tho. As soon as its warm there is no issue.

Again its a tuning problem that needs to be looked at.

Mine: 16 Titan XD Pro4X Lux
13 Arctic Cat M800 153 Ltd
14 Triumph Street Triple 675

Hers: 15 Lexus RX350
13 Arctic Cat XF800 141 HC-Ltd
15 Triumph Street Tripe 675
post #3 of 21 Old 03-14-2017, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Mine "idles up" occasionally... maybe once every few drives. If it did it all the time, it would be very annoying. I'm about to take it in for the infamous alignment issue. It sounds like I should skip the update, if I'm happy with it's shifting.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-14-2017, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Any idea what SW version they applied? If you can get it and post, it will help others.

I was not having any shifting issues, until they updated it back in Dec/Jan. Since then have had it in 3 or 4 more times and still not resolved. It actually shifts better cold than warm...go figure. 2 . # and 4> 5 are where you feel it, and on the downshifts into 2nd and 1st. Of course, I contacted NNA and waited over a week to be told sorry...there's nothing we can do.

CalAR
'17 Pro4X Cummins w/ S&B Intake
- Audio/Utility & Convenience Pkgs
- RC 2/1 kit w/ Nitto G2's
- Access LiteRider cover & Husky Liners
post #5 of 21 Old 03-14-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
XDinNC, I wouldn't recommend the update if you are content with the shifting. I was getting a hard slamming type shift under low acceleration from 2-3 at about 20mph. Like I said I'm very happy with the update other than this. My 2015 f150 would downshift straight from 3rd to 1st and bypass second gear after they updated it. This seemed to really be the best fix for what seems to be a similar issue. Surely they can figure something out. It seems to me it's not very safe to have all of that momentum pushing forward when your trying to stop. I think it is wishful thinking on my part to think that it may learn its way out of this as it is consistently doing this every time I stop.
rexey likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-14-2017, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacraig1720 View Post
Just had tcm updated this past Thursday, shifts seem much better however 2nd to 1st shift doesn't take place until I stop and is rather annoying. Almost feels like getting a push from behind when coming to a complete stop. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this with the latest update
I get the same thing with mine--feels exactly like you are being pushed and the shift down 2-->1 doesn't happen until stopped or almost.. It seems to be a little better when it is warmer out and when the truck warms up. Overall, the TCM update seems to be fine for me except for this issue. Maybe they will get it fixed at some point. It is not bad enough to bother me much...my last truck was a much older model with a lot of miles and a lot of warts so I guess I'm used to putting up with a few annoyances. But it was a 5.9 12V Cummins with that sweet clatter so was easy to overlook.
Jacraig1720 likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-14-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
CalAR, sorry no idea what version software but he did note I would notice a big difference after the update. I wish I could help. I'll try to make a note of this next time something is updated.

Vann5, agreed. Definitely better than it was. I'm close to 300 miles after update. Have you noticed any improvement the more you drive?

Last edited by Jacraig1720; 03-14-2017 at 01:34 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-14-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I had my truck check last week while getting the new alignment specs applied. My 17 was on the newest TCM update. I learned a lot from my buddy who is a master tech at a Nissan Dealer about 45 mins from me. I will say I have experienced some occasional stiff shifts or a flare here and there. Coming to a stop my engine drops off right at about 8 mph like most diesels I have driven where they go into sort of a cost. Mine comes to a stop brilliantly so far.

I will tell you I am coming from an 11 5.0 F150 with a tuner and race shifts so what I think are smooth shifts and what others think may be two different realities. I would not mind if this truck gear slammed a bit harder but I am happy with the shifts. My F150 from stock to tune by design actually stuck in 3rd till stop and did a similiar bump you describe when coming to a stop once it finally kicked into 1st. It was terrible when new and slowly got ironed out from Ford through updates but always did stick in 3rd till 1 mph. The 6 speed in my f150 was much clunkier without a tune than this titan and even some with the tune.

What I learned last week. One of the issues Nissan is working on with Cummins and Aisen is that they have never worked together in the past so their is admitted work to be done in getting the tranny and the engine to talk to each other better. Each release of updates should yield great things. One thing I wanted to note, the Aisen is currently designed for larger trucks who put thousands of miles on a week. As such, our trans currently has a 10k miles learning mode. That means for 10k miles the Aisen is learning your drive style and building its shift strategies. As it does this, rough shifts, flares, hunting is inevitable. This is what I was told by a great friend anyway. I will be the first to admit my shifts better every day. It will be intertesting to hear how things are going with everyone as we all start to hit 10k miles on the latest TCMs....

Food for thought!
post #9 of 21 Old 03-14-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Dealer work order

I called the Nissan dealer and asked for printout of work done. This is what I received: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0030.PNG
Views:	159
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	21617

2017 Titan Xd with Cummins
4x4 SL
post #10 of 21 Old 03-14-2017, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacraig1720 View Post
I called the Nissan dealer and asked for printout of work done. This is what I received: Attachment 21617

Good deal, thanks for posting. Will compare to mine and good reference for others as well, as some dealers may even need it for reference.
Jacraig1720 likes this.

CalAR
'17 Pro4X Cummins w/ S&B Intake
- Audio/Utility & Convenience Pkgs
- RC 2/1 kit w/ Nitto G2's
- Access LiteRider cover & Husky Liners

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page