32Likes

post #1 of 58 Old 04-06-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hard shifting (Diesels) - Looking for input

Good evening all. Yes, I know there are threads where this is mentioned but I'm hoping to get some feedback from the majority here who encounter/deal with this to help me narrow down my own thoughts (they evade me at times), as well as make a decision. Not taking about a solid shift, but truly hard ones that are unbanned from the rest/avg feel.

That being said, please reply and answer the following to help all understand the depth or lack of towards this symptom:

• Year model, package and Manufacture date (if known)
• What great change(s) are worst?
• Was it like it from the start, or did it began after an update?
• If it finally balanced out, around what mileage did it?
• Anything else you feel that's applicable

Thanks all !

CalAR
'17 Pro4X Cummins w/ S&B Intake
- Audio/Utility & Convenience Pkgs
- RC 2/1 kit w/ Nitto G2's
- Access LiteRider cover & Husky Liners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 04-06-2017, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
2016 sl build date aug16, I test drove truck three times before driving and truck shifted firmly at that time. Purchased the truck and the more I drove the firmness turned to harshness esp. 2/3. Took in for latest tcm flash but truck already had the latest and greatest, still does. Mine shifts flawlessly when tranny is cold but after warming up it gets harsh and will have rpm flare just before 2/3 shift then it slams into 3rd. Still have rpm flare at idle, sounds at times like the engine is missing and will kill, this gets worse at higher elevation. Will also get large rpm flares at 1700rmps while truck is shifting or if you just bring rpms up slowly with truck in park. Have had it back in a couple more times to make sure tcm was at the latest version and was told it was so we where going to give it a few thousand more miles. Sitting at 5k now and just as bad as it's always been. Going to drive a 17 this weekend to see if there is any difference, if so I will be contacting Nissan and attorney to start process of potential buy back/ lemon law.
post #3 of 58 Old 04-07-2017, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
You do understand that this is a programming issue & it took Ram several years to get this transmission tweeked enough to make the shifting as smooth as possible so owners would stop bitching.
As much as it sucks I'm not sure why this would be any different with Nissan. If everyone complains to their dealers Nissan will get it straighten out.
It's a give & take, loaded Vs unloaded shifting comfort & that's not easy to balance.
MTXDPro4x likes this.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....

Last edited by AZPRO4X; 04-07-2017 at 12:28 AM.

post #4 of 58 Old 04-07-2017, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
The biggest issue is understanding it's a truck and what it's designed to do. At times we all want to use them like a Cadillac Escalade but it's just simply not an escalade! Lol. I pull a 4500 lb Ranger boat a lot and a simple light load like that makes the truck shift like a dream! The heavier the load the better. Empty, it shifts like a bob tail Freightliner M2 106. Doesn't really bother me because if I wanted to drive an Escalade I would buy an Escalade.

I'm sure there are some transmissions out there that may have some sort of mechanical defect but mine works like it should. I'm happy

We don't stop fishing because we get old. We get old because we stop fishing.
Jtp, TitanXD1101 and MTXDPro4x like this.
post #5 of 58 Old 04-07-2017, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well that's what I thought, just shifting like a truck made for pulling should. Solid shifting unloaded but nothing to harsh. But after hooking up our 5th wheel and going for a test run it looks like I'll be going to dealer. Terrible shifting when pulling a load, shifts so hard feels like revving up the engine in neutral and throwing it in drive. Hope they have something, maybe flash or relearn for trans.
post #6 of 58 Old 04-07-2017, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Ive got a 2016 pro 4 x luxury with 2000 kms built in feb 2016. Mine shifts firm and sometimes hard from 2-3. It doex it less when im harder on the throttle. The only issue i have is driving 40-50 kmh the rpms are about 1750 making bad mileage.
My buddy has a 2016 PR with 8000 kms and thinks his is shifting really hard and it didn't at first. His wife says it has all along but she drives it all the time and he only drives it once in a while so I think he'd notice the change.
post #7 of 58 Old 04-07-2017, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Those of you that don't mind the hard shifts because it is a truck meant for pulling - I am glad you are happy with it. However, I bough a PRO4X with every single option -$58K- to use as a truck every other week, but as a family vehicle every single day. I bought this truck because it was marketed as a no compromise solution between half ton comfort and near 3/4 ton capability. That is not what I got. I got 3/4 ton comfort and 1/2 ton capability. So with that in mind you can see why I am so upset over the shift quality - let alone the acceleration delay. There isn't a new half ton on the planet that shifts like this truck.

when there are no longer skittle farting unicorns, the deals will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2031 View Post
can you just pee in it?
post #8 of 58 Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadoi View Post
There isn't a new half ton on the planet that shifts like this truck.

There also isn't another truck like this on the planet though. It's a hybrid of both sizes, with compromises that had to have been made. I personally don't even have anything to tow, just wanted a diesel, but know that violent shifts are better than smooth shifts for clutch longevity.

Hopefully you get what you're looking for, but I kinda see this as someone complaining about fuel economy when they drive a truck. No offense intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
smsanders likes this.

2016 Titan XD 5.0

Stock for now
post #9 of 58 Old 04-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Violent shifts are worse. Try rebuilding a transmission with hard component failure from prolonged violent shifts (input shaft, clutch drums, planetary gears, sprags, output shafts, transfer case chain stretch). One hard component failure will double or triple a rebuild cost compared to just a clutch failure.

when there are no longer skittle farting unicorns, the deals will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2031 View Post
can you just pee in it?
post #10 of 58 Old 04-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a diesel mechanic for the Coast Guard (17 years now) and have played in reduction gears, automatic transmissions, and manuals. I wouldn't call mine violent shifts though. I literally installed a Trangsgo shift kit on my old Titan before I traded it in and I'd call those violent. These are firm, but again, this is only my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2016 Titan XD 5.0

Stock for now

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page