Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

New Batteries Selection

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  RoadLessTraveled 
#1 ·
Had her about 2 months now and the typical Florida battery killer climate my 2016 had a noticeable slower starting speed I have just rolled over to 30K

I have not been happy with the corrosion especially on the starboard battery from the get go cleaning and treating twice now

I settled on AGM Glass Matts from Advance Platinum 35's # 1 daughter works at corporate and get to use her discount

They only had one in stock yesterday so installed it in place of the one that corroded and doing a load test after pulling it dropped off fast so suspect the port battery was carrying the other cause it fired up like it should after install and did the other one today

The Glass matts do not vent and totally sealed like the Optima so terminal corrosion should be minimized and these have a 3 year non pro rate so should be good to go

Not sure who makes them but the case looks like a Delka

#3 ·
Yea no headaches or drama I tow in town all day and 45 ft of truck and trailer that goes click click wont cut it the stockers are 550 cca the glass matts run 650

I have been using the inverter quite a bit I threw a belt on my 110 volt gene on my spray rig trailer and luckily I had put regular male and female plugs on my gene out so just plugged in the bed of truck let her idle and finished running the diesel hot water burner to finish job Titan saved the day great feature

#5 ·
I'm not going to argue with what works for you, but it is worth noting that you can buy batteries with 650 cold cracking amperage (cca) in AGM, sealed maintenance free and regular wet vented, just a matter of cost and source.

And I love the fact that the truck comes stock with built in inverter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are less prone to vibration damage, can be mounted in just about any orientation, have no liquid electrolytes to check levels on, and are less prone to sulfation problems, and most companies tout slower discharge rates when sitting inactive. AGM batteries tend to charge faster as well.

Downside is they tend to cost as much as double the price of a flooded (but maintenance free) battery and they have a shorter useful life than flooded batteries.

As far as external corrosion is concerned there is no difference between these types of batteries. Exposed anodes and cathodes (positive and negative poles) made of the same materials are at risk for corrosion and will have the same types and amounts unless the exposed poles are coated with something to prevent air/material exposure. Dielectric grease, coating sprays, and various other substances can be used to protect the poles.

I tend to use AGM batteries in my motorcycles, atvs, and for use in RVs (because they DO NOT vent gasses).

I mostly use sealed maintenance free batteries in my general use vehicles because they are as effective at holding a charge, provide the same amperage, and last significantly longer.

#6 ·
Just a quick note about the new lithium ion batteries, which I believe Optima are; they are capable of producing a lot of power at a high rate, they are pretty resistant to vibration and they weight a lot less than a standard battery.

They cost a lot more, though, and they have some other issues to keep in mind; they will discharge much faster under load, they require special chargers (other than when receiving charge while mounted in the vehicle), and they are far more sensitive to temperature (cold can decrease their performance dramatically).

#7 ·
Jeez, while I'm thinking about it, it is important to keep in mind that there are just a few actual manufacturers of the batteries although there seem to be a LOT of "brands" and retailers. You do the math. Some retailers order their batteries with slightly different specs but still....

#9 ·
You are correct, there are only a few manufactures of AGM batteries. I make the AGM material. If you bought the battery in North America there is almost a 100% chance the company I work for made the separator for it. Optima is not a lithium-ion battery, this is not to say they ont make lithium-ion but the standard spiral wound batteries are not.

#8 ·
Don't mind the Extra price

They cost me about 145$ a copy but did get a deal too I have used the glass matts in the big charter boat with good service over the years group 27's though The Optimax Mercs required 1000 CCA just to start those I jumped ship from Merc saltwater team to Suzuki 4 strokes those will start with a garden battery

On the optimas when I had the 23 ft Dorado built here locally I had installed 5 optima's in the console as they were the only ones to fit foot print wise
2 for the house batts and 3 yellow tops for the 36 volt trolling motor I got 10 years out of the blue tops house batts but always kept them on a charger
mounted in console when it was parked on trailer and would have put those in the Titan if the glass matts were not as advantageous $ wise
my thinking was not venting gasses the way wet cells do might cut down on corrosion wishful thinking perhaps .

#11 ·
They cost me about 145$ a copy but did get a deal too I have used the glass matts in the big charter boat with good service over the years group 27's though The Optimax Mercs required 1000 CCA just to start those I jumped ship from Merc saltwater team to Suzuki 4 strokes those will start with a garden battery

On the optimas when I had the 23 ft Dorado built here locally I had installed 5 optima's in the console as they were the only ones to fit foot print wise

2 for the house batts and 3 yellow tops for the 36 volt trolling motor I got 10 years out of the blue tops house batts but always kept them on a charger

mounted in console when it was parked on trailer and would have put those in the Titan if the glass matts were not as advantageous $ wise

my thinking was not venting gasses the way wet cells do might cut down on corrosion wishful thinking perhaps .
Re; red top vs. yellow top vs. blue top Optimas....in simplistic terms they more or less equate to the variations between AGM types, wet cell types, deep cycle types, etc..

In many ways your success with batteries remains dependent on picking the right type and capacity for the application and then maintaining it as well as possible (and yes, some brands ARE better than others.)

#12 ·
Vented hydrogen gas from non-sealed batteries shouldn't, by itself, cause increased corrosion. The fact that some electrolyte, typically hydrochloric or other acid, in a wet unsealed battery some of this can escape around the caps and through the vent during movement or high charge-discharge events, and that stuff IS very corrosive even in small amounts.

This brings up the point of insuring an adequately secure mount for the battery and adequate ventilation for gas venting and temperature regulation. Heat caused during usage can decrease battery life if it can't be easily shed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.