Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

TFL truck Titan xd gas vs F150 towing

24K views 49 replies 17 participants last post by  WireNut 
#1 ·
They just posted a video of the two trucks towing 11000 pounds. Check it out

#3 · (Edited)
The F150 weighs almost 2000lbs less, has a lower gear ratio 3:55 vs 3:36, has a 10 speed transmission all to go faster when towing.

The XD handled better down and up the hill, braked better, squatted less, and got .9mpg better and doing it was a 7 speed transmission.

The XD is no race truck, we can all agree on that. It does not have the pep of the 1st generation Titan. What it does have is better towing ability that safer and one could argue more economical. Remember it isn't always about Tow rating, it is always about how well the truck can handle the load. The XD clearly wins.

IMO, Nissan has set the bar again just like they did in 2004 with the Titan.

Can you imagine hooki g 12,700lbs behind that F150.

On a side note, the F150 is a good looking truck. I will keep my ProX

#7 ·
Living in AZ and towing a lot, there is a lot of heavy hill climb towing that goes on during the summer where people go up into the mountains for camping and getting out of the heat. It's some of the most difficult towing conditions when you factor in length of hill climbs, temperature, and steepness of the climb. This video totally plays into what we experience every summer. We play a game in our family of "count the number of broken down trucks on the side of the road and note which brand they are". We keep an annual tally.

Every year, the most broken down trucks we see go in the following order: 1) Ford 2) Chevy 3) Dodge 4) Other. Honestly, we have never even seen a broken down Tundra. For some reason, Ford owners feel that they have this need to "Race" their truck and trailer up the mountains to show their truck is better and the baddest truck on the market - which is weird that they think that makes it the best. In the end, they by far are the most broken down truck on the way up the hill. I even have friends who are Ford owners and they brag about how fast they can tow going up in the mountains and then they whine about being broken down and the repairs. I'm like" Did you ever think there might be a correlation"?

The other thing is, racing up the mountains is sketchy when the truck doesn't handle the load as well. I traded in my Tundra (which I loved) for the heavier duty Titan XD Pro4X and let me tell you, it is a DREAM towing a heavy load with the XD by comparison. I'll take the slightly slower towing over a white knuckler pull of a heavy load any day. And for the record, that Tundra would race up the hill just as well as any Ford would (and last 3 times longer doing it).

I'm not trading the XD for anything for a long time.

#16 ·
I registered just to comment on this.

What a bunch of confirmation bias BS. I travel between Phoenix and Strawberry and Flagstaff ALL OF THE TIME. I rarely see 1/2 ton trucks pulling anything more than some quads/utvs or a small camper and it's even rarer to see any newer truck broke down. And I shake my head at the few guys with 8k campers dragging them around with a 1/2 ton. It's just dumb. 3/4 tons do it in stride and they don't cost THAT much more.

If you pull frequently even the XD is a bad choice. Any old 3/4 ton is much more suited for the job. Get an old Cummins for $15-$20K and you'll pull until well past the point that Nissan is in a junkyard. Sure the crappy Dodge around it will be crumbling but the truck will keep going and going.

Also, there are exponentially more Ford's, Dodges, and Chevys on the highways here than Titans and even Tundras. Even if the 2nd gen Titans are good trucks they're still going to continue to get buried by the F-150, Silverado, and Ram because they're ugly and Japanese. The one guy I know with a Cummins XD had already gone through an engine at Nissan's expense because he CONSTANTLY is pulling heavy and flogging it. Doubt that would be the case with ANY 3/4 ton.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I'm not a troll or a hater. I'm actually looking at a Titan. Doubt I'll be posting here a lot but I just wanted to counter what I consider a fallacy about there being a bunch of Fords, Dodges, and Chevys broke down on the mountain highways in Arizona.

#19 ·
He didn't say what his number count was, could have only been 4 fords, 3 chevys, 2 rams, and 1 whatever. He was simply stating his sightings as are you. Imo the 1st reason you will see more of them is they sell them 1000 plus to every 1 titan, 2nd is the engines are way to crammed in the big 3s compartments and there is no wander they have cooling issues. I personally like them all and have owned and still work on them all and they all have there good and bad. Proper vehicle maintenance and driver skill is the down fall. Good luck in your search

#20 ·
Agree with the end statement. Other issue is salesmen at these camper places, they will say anything to get you to buy a bigger more expensive camper. "Oh yea your 1500 will pull 8k lbs, I see it all the time." I'm sure they do. My Silverado 1500 towed my camper, got the transmission to 260 degrees, luckily it did not boil the fluid and destroy my tranny

#24 ·
3/4 tons from 20 heck even 10 years ago were made for 8 to 10k, times have changed. The 7.3 had tons of growing pains back in the day. Every other day I was doing injectors or injector o rings in the late 90's and dont get me started on the 6.0. My 97 12 valve will pull about anything but the titan is a lot more stable and braking you dont have to squint and pray. The highest mileage 7.3 I currently repair has 1.9 million yes million miles on it with a 5th wheel cattle trailer that is never unhooked, but he averages roughly 300 bucks a month to keep it going over the last 8 years.

#25 ·
That F-250 has a gutless 5.8L, not a diesel. Like you guys were saying about the F-150 vs the Titan XD, who cares how fast it tows. I'm not a big fan of Ford's diesels (except maybe the newest). I'd take a 5.9L over anything.

I don't care how you slice it. 3/4 ton axels, drivelines, steering, suspension and transmissions are made for the job of towing a heavy trailer and half ton components are not.

Like I said, I already know of one XD Cummins destroyed by heavy use.

#30 · (Edited)
Agree! Let's set the record straight. Not sure what the pissin' contest is all about. Let's talk facts:

Fact 1: I have a 2016 Titan XD SL diesel. I actually own one, so I can speak from first-hand experience, not from "I know a guy..."
Fact 2: I own a travel trailer that weighs nearly 10,000 lbs fully loaded.
Fact 3: I actually tow my travel trailer, so I can speak from first-hand experience. I am within every numeric spec for towing (see numbers below). Again, these are actual numbers from an actual owner - not from "I know a guy...."
Fact 4: The Titan pulls my trailer with NO problems. I've never experienced a lack of power issue with it, and have never felt like I've been in an unsafe condition when towing either the travel trailer or the boat. Let me further emphasize that the Titan can easily stop the trailer - unfortunately I learned this when the grease seals on my trailer failed, and I ended up with very greasy brakes. I drove 1,900 miles under these conditions and never feared that I couldn't stop the trailer (BTW, I replaced the stock drum brakes with disc brakes on the trailer, and the stopping power is AMAZING! When the brakes on the trailer grab, it's almost like the trailer stopping the truck).

So PLEASE don't presume to tell people what the Titan diesel can or cannot do when you've never even been behind the wheel. You make yourself look foolish.

These numbers are from my last CAT scale visit:
Gross Weight: 17,380 lbs
Steer Axle Weight: 4,100 lbs
Drive Axle Weight: 4,600 lbs
Total Truck Weight: 8,700 lbs
Trailer Axle Weight: 8,620 lbs
Trailer Tongue Weight: 1,180 lbs (12%)
Trailer Gross Weight: 9,800 lbs

If you need to see the actual CAT scale receipt I can provide that as well.

These are FACTS.

#34 ·
New Ford's (diesel) are notorious for blowing up at 100k, at least I've heard it from multiple sources including a ford dealership and forums. I've recently traded in a 3/4 ton gmc sierra (gas) for the XD, and the XD puts the gmc to shame in every way; mpg, towing capacity, speed, comfort, ride quality. I'm not sure which truck tows 17k lbs, are we comparing gas to diesel to 350s to 150s? Confused about the comparisons, buy what you like and want, and what works for you. I think the XD will impress

#35 ·
New Ford's (diesel) are notorious for blowing up at 100k, at least I've heard it from multiple sources including a ford dealership and forums.

I'm not sure which truck tows 17k lbs, are we comparing gas to diesel to 350s to 150s?
Yeah, I haven't heard that. And the fact they're far and away the most used heavy-duty fleet trucks, I would imagine they have a few go under before 100k but I'd bet it's rarer than Titans with Cummins having major mechanical problems judging by browsing this forum a little.

3/4-ton vs XD in diesel or gas.

Silly? No, fact. Go expierience it for yourself, don't be so endoctrinated to the hype of the numbers released by the big 3.
Wow, I didn't realize the level of delusion down here...

I wouldn't expect our worn out, 22-year-old, gutless 5.8L to compete with anything. I'm just saying it made it a long ways because it's an actual 3/4-ton.

By the way, just since you guys seem to think I'm a Ford lover so much (I've said I prefer Cummins multiple times), I looked up the max towing for the Ford F-250 with the 6.2L gas and the diesel in a crew cab.

Diesel: 16,800
Gas: 15,400

I'm done trolling you guys, even though I didn't really mean to. I'm sorry. I really do think if you are towing an 8k+ trailer in the mountains you should be in a 3/4-ton pickup. But everyone has a different situation and a lot of guys trade in trucks before they're worn out.

#36 · (Edited)
Not sure where you're getting your info (see attached photo)... my 2500 was gas, XD is diesel. Although I can not attest for towing 8k+ in the mountains, my 2500 was rated for 9300 lbs, while the XD is 12200. Edit: I traded it in well before it was worn out because 9mpg was wearing out my wallet. 16 mpg now with the XD (and more towing power) I feel like my fuel gauge is broken not burning a half tank per day.

Attachments

#38 ·
Maybe, guess I don't care enough. Plus I've had horrible experiences with ford, so I don't care if they can tow the moon, the XD is better for me. I think the XD is under rated, and under advertised. Seems like the big 3 need to constantly tell you how great their trucks are

#48 ·
An Screw in a basic XLT 4x4 trim is about 5300lbs. My basic XD SV diesel is 6950 lbs as is a f250 SBCC XLT gasser and the diesel version about a 1000 lbs more. A F350 srw pulling 18k will be a gooseneck/fifth wheel not conventional towing and the dynamics are different. TR to TV mass ratio is a fundamental property used in calculating sway damping ratio for any given conventional towing truck trailer combo. This is basic physics and laws of motion. Instability with respect to sway depends on parameters from both the truck and trailer, and the speed at which instability will occur will decrease based on the following in no particular order.

1) the mass of the trailer (relative to the vehicle’s mass) increases.
2) the center of gravity of the trailer moves rearward.
3) the moment of inertia of the trailer increases.
4) cornering stiffness of trailer tires decreases.
5) cornering stiffness of the vehicle’s rear tires decreases.
6) the distance from the vehicle rear axle to the hitch point increases.
7) vehicle wheelbase decreases.

A TR to TV weight ratio of 2 to 1 + is only realistic when trailer and hitch parameters noted above are at they’re absolute best values. It’s going to be very rare that a consumer towing a RV TT will be able to reach a 2 to 1 ratio and still be stable at highway speeds. With this type trailer a TR to TV ratio of 1.5 to 1 is about maximum. You will run out of hitch capacity before you hit that ratio anyway. Some trailer types may be able to go to a higher ratio, very few can be at 10% TW or less and still be stable at highway speeds.

#50 ·
Wow, I didn't realize the level of delusion down here...

I wouldn't expect our worn out, 22-year-old, gutless 5.8L to compete with anything. I'm just saying it made it a long ways because it's an actual 3/4-ton.

So, I'm delusional? Hmm, let's compare just the facts. What makes your 96 F250 a true 3/4 ton? Must be just because that's what Ford sold you at the time.

1996 F250 - HP 205, torque - 328, weight - 4300 lbs., Max tow capacity - 10,000 lbs.
2016 XD - HP 390, torque - 410, weight - 6800 lbs. Max tow - 11,500.

Looks like your beloved TRUE 3/4 ton truck is rated at less than the big 3's half tons, so again it not about me delusional, it's more about you being uneducated to the facts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.