1Likes
  • 1 Post By Belzelbub

post #1 of 6 Old 03-29-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Stock 2wd SL Tire Size Upgrade

I've seen plenty of posts here regarding tire size, but most regarding trucks with levels or lifts, or Pro-4x which sits a little higher than the SL and other models. Not many posts regarding stock vehicles with larger tires.

So, I've decided to go with Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT in 275/60-20. Getting them installed next week and will report back with info and pictures. I've always used Cooper tires, and I'd rather not have to trim/remove mud flaps to avoid rubbing but we will see. Thought it may be informative for others looking to size up in tires without any other modifications.

Just a note, I'm not opposed to leveling because the front end does sit so low, but want to see how this works first. If I do decide to level, is that something that I should install personally or have a professional do it? I've done some similar work before, but suspension work of any kind is new to me. Also, will leveling negatively effect hauling? I pull a small trailer for work and a travel trailer fairly regularly and it sits level when loaded now.

Any and all input is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-29-2019, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Garage
You won't have any issues with that tire or size
post #3 of 6 Old 04-12-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I think the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT is not available in 275/60R20 but is available in a LT265/60R20 load range E 3,195lbs per tire (stock tire size). The Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S is available in a 275/60R20 but this tire is only a 115 load rated tire or 2,721lbs per tire.

Using a 115 load rated tire would be an issue with towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Garage
Yup it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-04-14-15-21-01_1555269697023.png
Views:	36
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	42613  
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Interesting on the Cooper website for that tire it does not show that size, they show a LT265/60R20, LT275/65R20 and LT285/60R20, http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-xlt.aspx
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred-X View Post
So, I've decided to go with Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT in 275/60-20.
Good choice. I just put the same (though stock size) tires on my truck when my OEM Generals got a bit too squirrely in the rain. I love them so far. Good grip, and noise is significantly less than they look like they would be. Totally changed the way the truck looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred-X View Post
Just a note, I'm not opposed to leveling because the front end does sit so low, but want to see how this works first. If I do decide to level, is that something that I should install personally or have a professional do it? I've done some similar work before, but suspension work of any kind is new to me. Also, will leveling negatively effect hauling? I pull a small trailer for work and a travel trailer fairly regularly and it sits level when loaded now.
I'm not a big fan of leveling on trucks. Seems to be fine for people that just haul air around all the time. Once you hook up a trailer, or load up the bed, it looks like the truck is squatting. For additional clearance in the front, I just removed the front air dam. Didn't notice any change in mpg, and has plenty of clearance for me. A leveling kit probably won't negatively affect handling other than looking squattier and making your headlights aim a bit higher.
XDHunter likes this.

--
Brian

User Tag List