20Likes

post #21 of 84 Old 10-22-2017, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
This is BS. Please show me where you are getting your information. Obviously, 20 years is a strech for any vehicle but dumping your Titan at 100,000 because it's played is ridiculous. Show me where the DPF is only good for 150,000 miles according to Cummins. Know this, if Cummins or Nissan engineered this truck to fail after 100,000 miles they'd be done. Remember, Nissan showed the big 3 what fer in the 70's by making a Datsun that would go well over 150,000 miles while Ford, Chevy and Chrysler where purposefully making cars that would self destruct at 90,000 so you would have to buy another car from them. Remember the Ford apology 3 decades later. IMHO

Well, I'm currently at +53,000 miles in a little over 13 months of owning the truck. The DPF had better make it to over 150,000 miles. I plan to have this truck well into the 300,000s with the way I drive. My last truck was a Tundra and it had 150,000 miles on it when I traded it in, and it was rock solid and tight. Only complaint was the brakes sucked balls. I expect this Titan XD will be tight at 150,000 too. I guess I'll be the test monkey because I haven't seen anyone with higher miles than me (which I'm not crazy about). I will say though, thus far it's been a rock solid truck.
XDHunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 84 Old 10-22-2017, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Garage
Well I've had mine since 10/16 and just hit 4k.
post #23 of 84 Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
There is a 2011 duramax with over 500k on it all stock, I wouldn't worry about the Nissan. AZPRO4X seems to be the type that believes the government has our best interest and every company builds crap, I'm just basing this on some of his posts over the last few months.

Fact is, we'll all find out with time but I have a good feeling the Nissan if maintained will go far past 200k miles and 20 years isn't much anymore, heck I still see 1990 GM 1/2 tons running around.

My 2003 Dodge diesel had 233k on it when I sold it, on original injectors and trans after everyone said the Bosch injectors were only good for 150k and the trans for 100k.
XDHunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 84 Old 10-22-2017, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPRO4X View Post
These things will completely fall apart way before the 20 year mark. With the technology that's in newer vehicles it's best to ditch them after a 10yr/100k extended warranty is up at the maximum, even then it's pushing it. This is industry wide.
Just do the maintenance, fuel it & drive it.
Heck, the DPF only has a 150k estimated lifespan....
This is BS. Please show me where you are getting your information. Obviously, 20 years is a strech for any vehicle but dumping your Titan at 100,000 because it's played is ridiculous. Show me where the DPF is only good for 150,000 miles according to Cummins. Know this, if Cummins or Nissan engineered this truck to fail after 100,000 miles they'd be done. Remember, Nissan showed the big 3 what fer in the 70's by making a Datsun that would go well over 150,000 miles while Ford, Chevy and Chrysler where purposefully making cars that would self destruct at 90,000 so you would have to buy another car from them. Remember the Ford apology 3 decades later. IMHO
No where did I say they were engineered to fall apart at a set time, but I did say they start to cost more & more to keep up. When a seat rail costs $1400 in a Murano or a CVT transmission is a $9k part ( all failed before 100k & covered by EW ) it's getting to the point to dump vehicles once the warranties are up. These things aren't like old vehicle that can be easily worked on. It's becoming no different than a cell phone or laptop these things are not designed to stay together for 20yrs but they are basically a giant computer on wheels. Also, I didn't say that no vehicle will ever last whatever amount of time.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....
post #25 of 84 Old 10-22-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhanses View Post
There is a 2011 duramax with over 500k on it all stock, I wouldn't worry about the Nissan. AZPRO4X seems to be the type that believes the government has our best interest and every company builds crap, I'm just basing this on some of his posts over the last few months.

Fact is, we'll all find out with time but I have a good feeling the Nissan if maintained will go far past 200k miles and 20 years isn't much anymore, heck I still see 1990 GM 1/2 tons running around.

My 2003 Dodge diesel had 233k on it when I sold it, on original injectors and trans after everyone said the Bosch injectors were only good for 150k and the trans for 100k.
Not sure where the government comment came from. They are the ones that usually screw every good thing up.
Yes your right, pretty mostly everything that is built these days is designed to be thrown away.
Pretty much Everyone with Diesel's are complaining about the Emissions equipment & want the stuff removed. The technology has been implemented for 10yrs now & no manufacturer can seem to Make it generally reliable ( Even On 18 wheelers ).
A 5L is nothing like a 03 CTD, those things where the last of simple Diesel's, actually my 06 CTD was the last but even then the 48RE was a junk transmission & would normally grenade before 100k.
Oldcolonel likes this.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....

Last edited by AZPRO4X; 10-23-2017 at 01:44 PM.
post #26 of 84 Old 10-23-2017, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I have to be different.

I use Chevron DELO LE 5W/40 Synthetic.

2017 White Titan XD Platinum Reserve Diesel 4x4
post #27 of 84 Old 10-23-2017, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBPs View Post
Well, I'm currently at +53,000 miles in a little over 13 months of owning the truck. The DPF had better make it to over 150,000 miles. I plan to have this truck well into the 300,000s with the way I drive. My last truck was a Tundra and it had 150,000 miles on it when I traded it in, and it was rock solid and tight. Only complaint was the brakes sucked balls. I expect this Titan XD will be tight at 150,000 too. I guess I'll be the test monkey because I haven't seen anyone with higher miles than me (which I'm not crazy about). I will say though, thus far it's been a rock solid truck.
There's a guy over on the Facebook page with over 100,000 miles already so feel secure in that. He posted a snapshot of his odometer.

Slingshot
2017 Titan XD SV Diesel
post #28 of 84 Old 10-23-2017, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdawgfan View Post
I have to be different.

I use Chevron DELO LE 5W/40 Synthetic.
I use the same, chevron consistently had the best oil analysis when tested.
post #29 of 84 Old 10-23-2017, 10:25 PM

This is from a Fleet Maintenance article.

What?s Involved in DPF Maintenance?

Although the DPF is designed for long life, eventually the accumulated ash must be removed by special cleaning equipment. What is the typical cycle for the DPF before it needs to be cleaned? "We?re looking at least 100,000 miles before having to worry about it," projects Aquaro. Engine manufacturer estimates range from 100,000-150,000 miles in most light- and medium-duty applications.

"The question then becomes do we clean (the DPF) or do we offer a DPF exchange program, replacing it all together?" poses Aquaro. The answer is manufacturer- and truck class-specific. Fleet managers should consult the manufacturer?s rep to determine the cleaning/replacement processes for specific trucks.

What costs should can be expected for DPF cleaning/replacement? Estimates range from several hundred dollars to $2,500 and more...
Cleaning, Replacement or whatever the DPF is a expensive piece of equipment.

2016 Black XD Pro4x.....
post #30 of 84 Old 10-24-2017, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPRO4X View Post
This is from a Fleet Maintenance article.

What?s Involved in DPF Maintenance?

Although the DPF is designed for long life, eventually the accumulated ash must be removed by special cleaning equipment. What is the typical cycle for the DPF before it needs to be cleaned? "We?re looking at least 100,000 miles before having to worry about it," projects Aquaro. Engine manufacturer estimates range from 100,000-150,000 miles in most light- and medium-duty applications.

"The question then becomes do we clean (the DPF) or do we offer a DPF exchange program, replacing it all together?" poses Aquaro. The answer is manufacturer- and truck class-specific. Fleet managers should consult the manufacturer?s rep to determine the cleaning/replacement processes for specific trucks.

What costs should can be expected for DPF cleaning/replacement? Estimates range from several hundred dollars to $2,500 and more...
Cleaning, Replacement or whatever the DPF is a expensive piece of equipment.
Interesting, do you have the site so I may read the article myself. Are they discussing our trucks? Are they even discussing Cummins after treatment systems? Cummins says they design there DPF's to last the life of the engine. No mention of cleaning cycles though. I guess if you use the wrong oil you're gonna need it sooner than later which may be why they don't mention it. On Cummins big engins they're talking 250,000 miles between cleanings.

https://cumminsengines.com/cummins-particulate-filter

Slingshot
2017 Titan XD SV Diesel

Last edited by slingshot; 10-24-2017 at 05:50 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page