What oil to use in the Cummins? - Page 9 - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 20Likes

post #81 of 85 Old 04-10-2019, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treecowboy View Post
Actually you go ahead and call up a cummins corporate rep or ask arice on here who actually saw one run in the plant. Some of us know more than is even printed in the owners manuals we get after months of research, custom building our truck, twiddlin our thumbs and studying while we wait months for arrival. Blah blah

Kick rocks boys. Lol
Don't get your panties in a twist there Cowboy. All I asked for was proof of what you claim. Arice stated he saw them run, not necessarily being broken in, and also stated the amount of time/resources required to break in all the engines would be huge; I am truly interested in the process. By the way - great deflection arguement (not really), go kick your cactus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 85 Old 04-10-2019, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarshall1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treecowboy View Post
Actually you go ahead and call up a cummins corporate rep or ask arice on here who actually saw one run in the plant. Some of us know more than is even printed in the owners manuals we get after months of research, custom building our truck, twiddlin our thumbs and studying while we wait months for arrival. Blah blah

Kick rocks boys. Lol
Don't get your panties in a twist there Cowboy. All I asked for was proof of what you claim. Arice stated he saw them run, not necessarily being broken in, and also stated the amount of time/resources required to break in all the engines would be huge; I am truly interested in the process. By the way - great deflection arguement (not really), go kick your cactus.
I kick cactus lots cuz i were steel toe and theres hunxhes those **** things here.
Dont know for certain if every manufacturer does it. Ones ive gotten have. Dont know if dodge does but nissan is.
I also qualified further what im initially meant by Break in when i responded to mr tdhanses.
Dont tell me to go kick rattlers though cuz that would be real mean.
post #83 of 85 Old 04-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
hey fellas! interesting discussion! i'm by no means an expert, but here's my take. certain more 'special' or non-mainstream engines are 'run in' before leaving the factory. for instance, my 1990 Corvette ZR-1 with the hand built LT5 quad cam motor was run in on a dyno for about 10 mins before it left the factory many years ago. all of the ZR-1s were. but standard L98 Corvettes didn't have this done to them. I believe that all Porsche GT3 and GT2 cars are 'run in' at the factory similarly (but I don't think base 911s or Boxsters etc get this treatment). i'd totally believe it that our Cummins 5.0s are run in before leaving the factory too. what I'd dispute (mostly this is a phrase-ology thing) is that the engine is 'broken in'. I'd say that to break an engine in totally takes many hours and many miles to totally 'break in'. as an example, I bought my 2016 XD Cummins brand new (less than 20 miles on the clock) and over a period of 5k miles or so (thats when I did the first oil change) the fuel mileage steadily increased, and it's oil consumption steadily decreased (in the first 5k miles I burned 3 qts of oil). after the first oil change til now (i'm at 12k miles and about to do the 2nd oil change) i've not had to add any oil at all. (it's totally sealed up the rings etc). I didn't baby my Titan in any way, in fact I was pretty tough on it. within the first 400 miles it was hooked up to my enclosed car trailer and towing my racecar all over the eastern seaboard. I use it like a truck and use it hard about 80% of it's total mileage.

so yea, I'd bet that they run our engines in for a certain time at the factory; but I personally wouldn't call that totally 'broken in'.

Todd

PS all the engines in my road race cars are run in on the engine dyno stand after being rebuilt. the run in takes about 20 mins and is a certain procedure of rpms. then the oil is changed and the valves reset and the heads torqued and then they are dyno tuned (takes about an hour or two. engine is run up to max rpm and max power til it's putting out what is expected). at that point the oil is changed and the valves checked again and then I put the engine into my racecar and race it! I still don't consider it totally 'broken in' til 2-3 race weekends have gone by (probably about 8 hrs of racing time on the engine). at that time I change the oil again and it's fully 'broken in' and at it's best most powerful state. after that it begins the slow steady decline of 'wearing out' lol!

2016 XD PR 4x4 Cummins

Last edited by d15b7; 04-10-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 85 Old 04-10-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
When u take a green horse and break it in - it aint an optimal riding horse by far.
You want to call that run in instead thats fine.
Diesel are all specialty cars per say. Due to various factors its just economically safer for manufacturer to test run diesel engines prior to install vs sending them completely green to get tromped on by test drivers and dumb salesmen
post #85 of 85 Old Today, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
So not to glom on/change running subject, but has anybody ever run a "hybrid" mixture of oil weights?

Not sure why the manual only has 10-30 for high temps and 5W-40 for colder, but going with that line of logic.... I will be moving west (upcoming cold winter for me) but first I will be towing and running in the southeast (hot temps) all summer...and walmart only had 1 gallon of Shell T5 10W-30 (synth blend, CK-4 and CES 20086) I was planning to run with. I also picked up two extra gallons of T6 5W-40 (full synthetic, CK-4, CES 20081/20086). Call me lazy/crazy but I was thinking of doing 1/1.5 blend of T5/T6 or maybe 2 gallons of T6 with a half of T5 just to split the hypothetical middle. Or I could wait a week and get more T5 somewhere and keep it uniform for the first change and then switch to 100% T6 in the fall. Matter either way?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page