Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

What oil to use in the Cummins?

155K views 122 replies 63 participants last post by  Reedhall 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
What oil is everyone using in their Cummins XD?

I have been a Mobil 1 fan for years, but according to the Mobil 1 website, they currently do not make an oil that meets the Cummins spec. Would the Shell Rotella T6 work? I prefer to use synthetic. Thanks, Steven

This is from the Mobil 1 website:

"Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 10W-30 viscosity and oil that meets Cummins CES 20081. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications".

#4 ·
I use Rotella T6 5w40 runs great. It's good Oil I've been running it for years.

I've never been a fan of the Esso/Mobil brands of oil. Up here is canada that oil doesn't seem to flow as nicely at -30c.

#5 ·
What oil is everyone using in their Cummins XD? I have been a Mobil 1 fan for years, but according to the Mobil 1 website, they currently do not make a oil that meets the Cummins spec. Would the Shell Rotella T6 work. I prefer to use synthetic. Thanks, Steven

This is from the Mobil 1 website:

"Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 10W-30 viscosity and oil that meets Cummins CES 20081. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications".
I'm running Shell Rotella T6 5w40, but in a much colder climate than in your part of Texas. In your part of the country I would stick to a 10w30 that meets specs as its better suited for your temps.

#13 ·
Yes, it is the only one I've seen that meets the CES20086 spec instead of the earlier CES20081 Cummins spec. On their website they've moved to the CES20086 spec as the recommended oil. There is another thread on here about that.

Among other things I think it delivers even lower ash content/byproduct. Which may make a difference for longevity of the DPF before it fills to capacity with ash and must be replaced. I shudder to think what that costs for those not deleting and putting a lot of miles on their trucks!
http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_article003386232.cfm?0,w&euid=[[euid]]

#14 ·
69rrvet: I used to live for years in the Clear Lake/Dickinson area south of Houston. Ran 15w-40 in my old 91 Dodge 12 valve Cummins for years. Times change...but the listing on our trucks also includes 5w-40 which Valvoline does make in PB synthetic in the Amazon link XDHunter provided above. I've got 3 gallons from Amazon waiting for the next change. That would work well in your climate I would think.

#17 ·
My plans are to keep the truck at least 20 plus years so I want nothing but what I feel is the best available today. I'm 50, so hopefully it will be my last one to buy. That's why I'm doing the research. I'm not the one to buy and trade every few years. My son just turned 16 so he got my 1997 Chevy Z71 with 240,000 miles on it that I was driving. That truck is rock solid and has had minimal service issues. Had it not been for my son, I would still be driving the Chevy. Thanks, Steven

#16 ·
FWIW, I ran into a developer from Nissan who helped put the Titan XD together (Nissan has a test facility out here in AZ) as he saw my truck at Ace Hardware one day and just wanted to know how I liked it. He told me to run T6, which is what I have been doing. I'm at 53,000 miles and it's been rock solid thus far. I know Valvoline makes good oil too.

This post has been deleted
#23 ·
There is a 2011 duramax with over 500k on it all stock, I wouldn't worry about the Nissan. AZPRO4X seems to be the type that believes the government has our best interest and every company builds crap, I'm just basing this on some of his posts over the last few months.

Fact is, we'll all find out with time but I have a good feeling the Nissan if maintained will go far past 200k miles and 20 years isn't much anymore, heck I still see 1990 GM 1/2 tons running around.

My 2003 Dodge diesel had 233k on it when I sold it, on original injectors and trans after everyone said the Bosch injectors were only good for 150k and the trans for 100k.

#25 · (Edited)
Not sure where the government comment came from. They are the ones that usually screw every good thing up.
Yes your right, pretty mostly everything that is built these days is designed to be thrown away.
Pretty much Everyone with Diesel's are complaining about the Emissions equipment & want the stuff removed. The technology has been implemented for 10yrs now & no manufacturer can seem to Make it generally reliable ( Even On 18 wheelers ).
A 5L is nothing like a 03 CTD, those things where the last of simple Diesel's, actually my 06 CTD was the last but even then the 48RE was a junk transmission & would normally grenade before 100k.

#29 ·
This is from a Fleet Maintenance article.

What?s Involved in DPF Maintenance?

Although the DPF is designed for long life, eventually the accumulated ash must be removed by special cleaning equipment. What is the typical cycle for the DPF before it needs to be cleaned? "We?re looking at least 100,000 miles before having to worry about it," projects Aquaro. Engine manufacturer estimates range from 100,000-150,000 miles in most light- and medium-duty applications.

"The question then becomes do we clean (the DPF) or do we offer a DPF exchange program, replacing it all together?" poses Aquaro. The answer is manufacturer- and truck class-specific. Fleet managers should consult the manufacturer?s rep to determine the cleaning/replacement processes for specific trucks.

What costs should can be expected for DPF cleaning/replacement? Estimates range from several hundred dollars to $2,500 and more...
Cleaning, Replacement or whatever the DPF is a expensive piece of equipment.

#30 · (Edited)
This is from a Fleet Maintenance article.

What?s Involved in DPF Maintenance?

Although the DPF is designed for long life, eventually the accumulated ash must be removed by special cleaning equipment. What is the typical cycle for the DPF before it needs to be cleaned? "We?re looking at least 100,000 miles before having to worry about it," projects Aquaro. Engine manufacturer estimates range from 100,000-150,000 miles in most light- and medium-duty applications.

"The question then becomes do we clean (the DPF) or do we offer a DPF exchange program, replacing it all together?" poses Aquaro. The answer is manufacturer- and truck class-specific. Fleet managers should consult the manufacturer?s rep to determine the cleaning/replacement processes for specific trucks.

What costs should can be expected for DPF cleaning/replacement? Estimates range from several hundred dollars to $2,500 and more...
Cleaning, Replacement or whatever the DPF is a expensive piece of equipment.
Interesting, do you have the site so I may read the article myself. Are they discussing our trucks? Are they even discussing Cummins after treatment systems? Cummins says they design there DPF's to last the life of the engine. No mention of cleaning cycles though. I guess if you use the wrong oil you're gonna need it sooner than later which may be why they don't mention it. On Cummins big engins they're talking 250,000 miles between cleanings.

https://cumminsengines.com/cummins-particulate-filter

#32 ·
Just in to Nissan for my first oil change. Chose to have it done at Nissan dealership to get to know the guys, get them familiar with my Titan XD, and to see what they recommend...just like sizing up a new barber or doctor...LOL! Anyway, apparently Nissan recommends Mobil Delvac 10w-30 in my NC climate. Approved for use with the new Cummins, obviously. Looks like a mineral product and fully backed by factory and Cummins which is all I care about. We'll see how it does. Looks like an industrial product for heavy usage. Me likes...

#33 ·
The dealer did my first change at 10,000 miles but I did my second one at 19,900. I switched over to Delvac 5w-40 synthetic and will use it year round. been happy so far. Engine is smooth and relatively quiet. I don't know why they recommend 10w-30 all around and the 5w-40 for temps under 68 degrees. The 40 weight offers more protection at even higher temps than the 30.

Reactions: DougT
#39 ·
You can ask 50 different owners here and get about 50 different recommendations on lube oil. Most of them will work fine...although i would recommend a full synthetic of whatever brand you prefer to spend your money on. I use Chevron 5W/40 DELO LE synthetic....but that is just my choice.

#41 ·
Long long ago a dealership told me to use what they state regardless of what you decide during warranty period. Using a different product that meets or exceeds OEM product standards is said to be protected under the Magnuson-Moss Act, yet in reality the manufacturer will win because the mfg has way more litigation money than the consumer will ever have to follow through with the fight. Very Expensive unless your an attorney. Just a thought.

#42 ·
Not really

The manufacturer would have to PROVE that the failure was due to you using another motor oil. If the oil you used has been independently tested to meet the manufacturers requirements then they have no foot to stand on. And, the cost of litigation regardless of whether they lose or win would cost them more than if they just repaired. Then they also have the bad press with not standing by their product....

As long as you are using an approved oil and meeting the servicing requirements they will do their part...although you may have to kick them a few times.