Low fuel pressure warning, broken truck! - Page 3 - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 7Likes

post #21 of 33 Old 11-09-2018, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Yup, I change both every 10k religiously as I did on my old 5.9 and I don't disconnect the batteries. When in doubt read instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 11-09-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Dealer said they only changed the filters, and they have ran the truck and it is working properly. $285 for new filters and diagnostics, that and the $250 tow I'm into it half of what i was hoping it would be originally.

I'm also getting my drive mirror tightened(was rattly before, very annoying) and new struts for my tail gate as it opened too quickly for my liking.

So here's the question, do I take the bills to the shop that did my oil/filters and see what they say, or do i just quit wasting my time now and walk away?

2017 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve Diesel
post #23 of 33 Old 11-10-2018, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboystarr View Post
If the local shop did not follow procedure and changed both and then primed they could have damaged the lift pump. Some folks have had that happen. SOP is change one at tank prime run then change front prime run.
Take it back to them and ask questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arice View Post
That's completely wrong and not accurate. Follow the instructions that FleetGaurd so diligently wrote and that comes with the filters.
You DO NOT have to change one filter at a time and prime each time.
In fact, you are making the pump do two the times the work it should have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhanses View Post
Actually if you look at the change interval to me itís assumed youíll change at the same time and it does recommend you change stage 1 before stage 2 and at the same time. Maybe itís just how I read it with all information given that both are done at the same time.

Truthfully for the price I would always just change both.

NOTE: For best results, the fuel filter (Stage 1) should be changed prior to changing the fuel filter (Stage 2).

So you are correct on no warning, Iím not sure how many times the guy that burned his up primed it. There was another that had a pump burn up when the dealer changed them, again I donít know details. The original pump in 2016ís and early 2017ís was discontinued and replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Dealer said they only changed the filters, and they have ran the truck and it is working properly. $285 for new filters and diagnostics, that and the $250 tow I'm into it half of what i was hoping it would be originally.

I'm also getting my drive mirror tightened(was rattly before, very annoying) and new struts for my tail gate as it opened too quickly for my liking.

So here's the question, do I take the bills to the shop that did my oil/filters and see what they say, or do i just quit wasting my time now and walk away?
Yes Syndrome you should go back to the shop that installed the filters with you invoice from Nissan and your tow bill and ask for reimbursement.

The instructions for fuel filter replacement in the Service manual are written as if only changing one fuel filter.

Service Bulletin NTB18-024a issued on September 10, 2018 regarding the replacement of fuel filters clearly states that if replacing both filters than do both filters before priming the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 Old 11-12-2018, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakinvol View Post
They tore the seal on the upper fuel filter when they installed it. Replace that filter and your problems will be gone.

Donít ask me how I know!!!
Been there myself! School of hard knocks will get you everytime.

James
2017 Titan XD Pro-4x with Cummins Turbo Diesel.
post #25 of 33 Old 01-06-2019, 03:49 PM
DTF

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jah81592 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakinvol View Post
They tore the seal on the upper fuel filter when they installed it. Replace that filter and your problems will be gone.

Don’t ask me how I know!!!
Been there myself! School of hard knocks will get you everytime.
Just had this happen yesterday. Had 700 miles on the filters and was coming back from hunting and had 6 hours to go and the low pressure came up. Thought I might have gotten some bad fuel then read wakinvols post...yup over tighten the upper filter and tore two chunks out of the gasket. Just wanted to wakinvol a shout out for some good info!!! Thanks bro
wakinvol likes this.
post #26 of 33 Old 01-06-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arice View Post
I've not seen that written in the manual and would like to see the verbiage.
If as stated, then that means that'
1. You disconnect the batteries before the servicing the primary filter.
2. You replace the primary filter.
3. You then reconnect the batteries and prime the system.
4. You start all over again for the secondary filter.
I know we all think OEMs are dumb but that service procudure of doing one at a time, if as stated, is moronic.....and not one FleetGaurd (which is Cummins) would agree with.
Anybody have a copy of the exact written service procudure from Nissan?
read this and scroll to lower area of the info for proper procedure . If you put a lot of air in the fuel system and it can happen you will have the issue , nothing wrong with the lift pump you have a large air pocket trapped in the rails It will be hard to remove without cracking injector lines at the injectors to purge Assuming orings and proper install of fuel filters. As Arice said and I say from experience and hands on with XD, you can change fuel filters any way and any one which way you want. Makes no difference. Just do it correctly etc..

http://www.nissantechnicianinfo.mobi...el_System.html

Last edited by fueldog67; 01-06-2019 at 07:01 PM. Reason: not directed at Arice
post #27 of 33 Old 03-17-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Need a little help. I am almost certain that my lift pump, 2016 Titan XD 5.0, has failed. However, I am unable to locate the OEM lift pump online nor can I find a part #. If anyone has this information or source I can retrieve it from please advise. Thank you much.
post #28 of 33 Old 03-17-2019, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan ONeill View Post
Need a little help. I am almost certain that my lift pump, 2016 Titan XD 5.0, has failed. However, I am unable to locate the OEM lift pump online nor can I find a part #. If anyone has this information or source I can retrieve it from please advise. Thank you much.
How do you know it isnt a problem with the high pressure pump?
Technician link above is good info

Personally i call dealership with vin in hand to confirm part #. Sometimes parts direct from nissan maybe improved/upgraded while previous ones on shelf or “rebuilt” still retain the issue that caused problem in first place.

For example the bump stops for steering limits are now better than the originals
post #29 of 33 Old 03-17-2019, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Quote:
The lift pump is part of the stage 1 fuel filter assembly. The part number is 16400-EZ40A which will likely change to 16400-EZ40B.
post #30 of 33 Old 03-17-2019, 08:05 PM
DTF

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Quote:
What's making you think the lift pump is out?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page