post #12 of 33 Old 01-14-2019, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBouy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arice View Post
Well written! Would just like to clarify one thing for the audience.
The DEF dosage (injection) rate is not determined by any reading of NOX sensors or measuring of exhaust.
The dosage rate is determined by your fuel economy and fuel consumed.
Obviously if you are burning more fuel then you are burning more exhaust which is really what you stated.
Just wanted to make sure folks know that fuel economy calculations determines the DEF dosage and injection rate and not any exhaust system component.
Thanks, Arice. As this truck is my first diesel I'm kind of a diesel newb, so took the time to research the emissions system to understand how it works.

There was a thread on this site some time ago that discussed NOx dosage, and if I remember correctly it was verified that there are sensors on the SCR that monitor NOx concentration incoming and outgoing. I know there are PID's for the sensors as I have watched them. I do not recall if the sensors were verified as the controlling factor for dosage, but why would they be there if not for that purpose?
Here's what Cummins says on DEF usage...see page 6
Cummins Bulletin MB10033 available on line;
fueldog67 likes this.
post #13 of 33 Old 01-14-2019, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohms139 View Post
Here is the link to the YouTube video.

He's a smart guy and if right then we have the only Cummins engine in production that doses DEF that way...see what Cummins has to say about their engines with SCR systems and DEF usage...page 6 of Cummins Bulletin MB10033 ....Cummins specifically states DEF dosage related to fuel mileage...and I don't necessarily think Nissan would have had a say in the exhaust after treatment system a it's critical to engine performance and life....but I've been wrong before. Maybe they changed it and are experiementing with the 5.0😁 lucky us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 33 Old 01-14-2019, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
We are all pretty much f'ed if Nissan is "experimenting" with the 5.0

I'd feel 100% more confident if we could go to Cummins authorized mechanics over Nissan for our power train/emissions warranty claims.
post #15 of 33 Old 01-27-2019, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
MY regen experience

After seeing the post about the 24 hour regen time limit and having my regens got from 1200 to 1500 miles, I was going to comment that I thought the 24 hr limit was not true. My reason -- my regens went down to (just recently, like yesterday) 210 miles! That was a redux from the 600 to 800 miles between regens I had complained about a few weeks ago. I have the Stealth module which for 5K miles didn't adversely affect my regen cycles. I did start adding Opti-lube Summer formula (2 ozs. per tankful) but had first added a half bottle of Stanadyne. MPG numbers (hand calculated) with module were 2 mpg better (19 to 20mpg) and I figured the additive was lubricating the fuel pump and injectors -- posted another 1mpg improvement, again, hand calculated.

Last four tankfuls I have not used any additive thinking that perhaps the additive was creating "soot" or some other type of problem for the DPF. Then yesterday, a regen after only 210 miles! After reading those postings about the 24 hour time frame, I now figure that it was a coincidence to soot build-up and the 24 hr time frame. Not sure if the additives created the redux in my regen mileage, driving habits have reduced the 40 mile (at 75 to 80 MPH) one way trips to office so perhaps that is part of the equation also. Longest trips are about 20 miles since the regen frequency changed for the worst. Hmmm, glad I read the posts here today. Just wish the regens would go back to the 1200+ range. I haven't used the bypass on the Stealth module and was tempted (as it eliminates the fuel squirt in the exhaust phase -- which I had thought may contribute to more heat but was lacking with module) to use the bypass but, as there was no problem for the first 5K miles of Stealth module I didnt think that was the issue anyway.

Long trip slated for next week (160 miles one way) and maybe that will be the tell?? Will let you guys know in a week but feel free to comment on the above before then.
post #16 of 33 Old 01-27-2019, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRags View Post
After seeing the post about the 24 hour regen time limit and having my regens got from 1200 to 1500 miles, I was going to comment that I thought the 24 hr limit was not true. My reason -- my regens went down to (just recently, like yesterday) 210 miles! That was a redux from the 600 to 800 miles between regens I had complained about a few weeks ago. I have the Stealth module which for 5K miles didn't adversely affect my regen cycles. I did start adding Opti-lube Summer formula (2 ozs. per tankful) but had first added a half bottle of Stanadyne. MPG numbers (hand calculated) with module were 2 mpg better (19 to 20mpg) and I figured the additive was lubricating the fuel pump and injectors -- posted another 1mpg improvement, again, hand calculated.

Last four tankfuls I have not used any additive thinking that perhaps the additive was creating "soot" or some other type of problem for the DPF. Then yesterday, a regen after only 210 miles! After reading those postings about the 24 hour time frame, I now figure that it was a coincidence to soot build-up and the 24 hr time frame. Not sure if the additives created the redux in my regen mileage, driving habits have reduced the 40 mile (at 75 to 80 MPH) one way trips to office so perhaps that is part of the equation also. Longest trips are about 20 miles since the regen frequency changed for the worst. Hmmm, glad I read the posts here today. Just wish the regens would go back to the 1200+ range. I haven't used the bypass on the Stealth module and was tempted (as it eliminates the fuel squirt in the exhaust phase -- which I had thought may contribute to more heat but was lacking with module) to use the bypass but, as there was no problem for the first 5K miles of Stealth module I didnt think that was the issue anyway.

Long trip slated for next week (160 miles one way) and maybe that will be the tell?? Will let you guys know in a week but feel free to comment on the above before then.
My truck regens a lot more and looses a solid 3mpg if I run Schaeffers diesel treat. Schaeffers has excellent products and I have used them for yrs. But my truck dont like their diesel treat. ......I have run it in other trucks and no problems.

I stopped using it on the same roads and mileage did come back up But it took 2 tanks of untreated fuel before it fully regained the mileage.

Just my experience and I still use Schaeffers just not in my XD.

2016 Titan XD SL Cummins powered .
post #17 of 33 Old 01-31-2019, 05:19 PM

upcoming trip with eye toward regens

All fueled up and getting ready for 160 trip with return in two days. Probably my fifth tank with no additives and last regen was in only 230 miles or so which was probably due to short trips concurrent with that 24 hour auto regen (it was a relatively short regen). Will report back later. Hope the additives have been burnt out, if that was the cause of frequent regens. We'll see.
post #18 of 33 Old 02-06-2019, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I just started using this product https://betterdiesel.com

I didn't keep track of my regens or def usage prior to using this so long term prior logs will not help much here. I did thou just start logging them when I ordered this product. This stuff supposedly will start working after 4 treatments so I will have an extremely small sample size.

I'll make a thread after using this for a couple months to get a better idea of trends in def usage and regen length/freq.

A long time member on TitanTalk told me about this as he's been using it on his F350 and has seen improvements with both def usage and regens.
post #19 of 33 Old 02-07-2019, 09:47 AM

Trip results re: regen

So, went to Ft Lauderdale from Tampa -- trip was more like 225 miles. Went 650 miles before regen this time. 200 of those miles were comprised of 15 mile trips local while in Lauderdale and when I got home late Saturday. Also filled up another 3/4 tank making this about my sixth tank without additives. My conclusion -- long trips are needed for longer intervals in regens. I used to drive the truck to office 40 miles one way on I-75 with cruise set at 80 and a total of 12 miles of 45 to 55mph on eirher end of that one way trip. That is when I was getting the 1200+ miles between regens (which, ha! I had thought excessive then). Maybe I'll try the bypass plug in the Stealth module which, as I have been told, eliminates the fuel jetting on the exhaust phase (the claim to fame of increased mpg -- which would be nullified by increased regen cycles).

With less than 30k I've got a lot of warrantee left before I even think about delete.
post #20 of 33 Old 02-12-2019, 01:56 PM

Been thinking about regens in my truck

I have not been using the truck for the 40 mile one way trips to office. I think the 15 mile trips around town have contributed to my frequent regens -- coupled with the 24 hr built in regen (that is 24 hr run time I presume), my 450 to 650 mile regen cycle is the result. Really gotta get back to that 1200 mile regen cycle. It's not the additive or the Stealth module; it's the short trips in my case.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page