another regen question - Page 3 - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 18Likes

post #21 of 33 Old 02-12-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I regain every 250-300 miles now after fuel system replacement last spring. But that is with a 13 mile 1 way trip to work where the majority is riding the loop. I go 700 or so when running on the high way.

2016 PR XD 4x4
5.0 Cummins
Java/Bone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 02-13-2019, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I dont run any of that snake oil additive crap...I regen maybe about 1500 miles or more. Also get about 21-22 mpg running 65 on the highway.

I ran just about every additive in my old Cummins including 2 stroke oil....made me feel a little better but I didnt notice anything.

My 05 powerstroke go diesel kleen and schauffers....no difference either.
wakinvol likes this.

Last edited by Kannweld; 02-13-2019 at 05:25 PM.
post #23 of 33 Old 02-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I don't want to seem like the exaggeration police, but 1500 miles or more seems unlikely as it is coded into the ECU to perform a regen every 24hrs of engine run-time. Period. Again, unless you have altered the factory code, it WILL regen every 24hrs engine run-time.

So 1500 miles / 24hrs = 62.5mph continuous operation. No stopping for fuel. No slowing for traffic, no sleeping, no stopping to switch drivers, etc.

Not trying to attack anyone, but I get tired of seeing these posts about excessive distance between regens and others wondering how come they don't get the same results. For someone doing 90% highway driving for 50+mile distances per stretch, you are likely to see somewhere in the 700-800 mile range between regens, but the regens will be short and possibly un-noticed. City/hwy mix will likely get you in the 300-600 range, and mostly city will get below 300.
dudleyh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 Old 03-25-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
In retrospect...JBouy is on the money

Best explanation of regens so far and fits my user profile. I do stand by my earlier 1000+ miles between regens when I was commuting a minimum of 80 miles per run and truck was new. Seems like the redux in mileage between regens started around 24k miles though. Could that DPF have fatigued out? or, as I mentioned in previous posts, did Stanadyne coat the inside of the DPF and now the soot builds up faster?
Stanadyne recommends a half bottle to a tank every 6 mos. and I used the half bottle twice in four tank ups -- maybe it was too much? Whatever is the case JBouy's regen account is the same as I am experiencing now.
post #25 of 33 Old 03-25-2019, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I don’t know exactly how often I regen that has alot to do with the type of driving and load.

I have been monitoring how much def I am using and I get around 1300 miles per gallon.

2016 Titan XD SL Cummins powered .
post #26 of 33 Old 03-25-2019, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
My commute to work is 56 miles one way mostly open highway and my 2016 XD performs a regen about 1300-1400 miles. If I encounter stop and go traffic, my regens happen more frequently.
post #27 of 33 Old 03-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Not to be too confrontational, but I call BS. To only regen once every 1300 miles means your average speed for the entire 24hr clock is 54.2mph. It's just not realistic. You have to stop for fuel. And unless you live on the on/off ramp, there is some distance of slow driving with stops and turns. A short distance at low speed drags the average down fairly quickly. Even on a long distance trip where you pull off the freeway only to get fuel and/or food/lodging that is less than 1/2 mile from the freeway, you would still likely not have an average speed above 50mph.

Look at the trip computer in the display between the gauges. At the bottom, it tells you the average speed since you last reset the trip computer. The average speed is not just while moving, but accounts for the time spent idling in your driveway or at a stop light. It is a running clock of when the engine is running divided by the distance traveled during that time-span. It likely reads in the high 20's to low 30's. For reference, 28mph average get 670 miles, and 32mph gets 770. If you are doing a lot of highway driving you could be in the 35-40mph range, which translates to 840-960 miles between regens, and would allow for very short trips to the fueling station, a minute or two here and there for start-up idle, driving to and from the freeway, etc.

It really pretty simple to calculate - take the average speed from the trip computer and multiply by 24. That's how many miles you get between regens, unless you do a lot of short trip, stop-and-go city driving where you regen more frequently than mandated by the ECU internal clock which is every 24hrs of engine run time.

Last edited by JBouy; 03-25-2019 at 08:03 PM.
post #28 of 33 Old 03-25-2019, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
It all depends on the type of driving conditions and miles traveled within the 24 hours of engine run time. My commute about 650 miles within that 24 hours. Road trip 900 miles and a shorter regeneration.
post #29 of 33 Old 03-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBouy View Post
Not to be too confrontational, but I call BS. To only regen once every 1300 miles means your average speed for the entire 24hr clock is 54.2mph. It's just not realistic. You have to stop for fuel. And unless you live on the on/off ramp, there is some distance of slow driving with stops and turns. A short distance at low speed drags the average down fairly quickly. Even on a long distance trip where you pull off the freeway only to get fuel and/or food/lodging that is less than 1/2 mile from the freeway, you would still likely not have an average speed above 50mph.
True. But I don't think the 1300 mile report was deliberately deceptive. If the 24 hour clock is the trigger, the regen will probably be quite short as the regular drive is doing a pretty decent job of keeping things clean. If your commute was mostly highway, and a good distance each time, you could easily miss a regen if you aren't closely watching the instant MPG screen. Of course, that's only for 16s and 17s.

--
Brian
post #30 of 33 Old 04-02-2019, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBouy View Post

Look at the trip computer in the display between the gauges. At the bottom, it tells you the average speed since you last reset the trip computer. The average speed is not just while moving, but accounts for the time spent idling in your driveway or at a stop light. It is a running clock of when the engine is running divided by the distance traveled during that time-span. It likely reads in the high 20's to low 30's. For reference, 28mph average get 670 miles, and 32mph gets 770. If you are doing a lot of highway driving you could be in the 35-40mph range, which translates to 840-960 miles between regens, and would allow for very short trips to the fueling station, a minute or two here and there for start-up idle, driving to and from the freeway, etc.

It really pretty simple to calculate - take the average speed from the trip computer and multiply by 24. That's how many miles you get between regens, unless you do a lot of short trip, stop-and-go city driving where you regen more frequently than mandated by the ECU internal clock which is every 24hrs of engine run time.
Well I can tell you his numbers aren't too far off. I pull my fifth wheel for work and 80 % of my driving is pulling my 11.5k fifth wheel.
I Regen at the 1100 mile mark and my average speed is 62 MPH....and I've documented this over 42k.
Has anyone ever really validated, from Nissan or Cummins, that the "mandatory" every 24 hours of operation Regen happens regardelss of driving and engine load conditions?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page