145* Thermostat Installed - PICS - Week 1 Thoughts - Page 2 - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 15Likes

post #11 of 52 Old 02-13-2019, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
For your info the page I was referring to on Radiator AT connections is located in the FSM on page CO-43. It definitely shows the top connector as from the A/T (A) and the middle connector (B) going to the A/T cooler. (the pdf file is too large to load)

But without tracing the A/T oil lines on the truck and seeing how they are routed, I'm not 100% sure.

2016 Platinum Reserve 2 tone blue
60HP Emissions tune CCS Tuning
BAK MX4 tonneau cover
stanadyne performance formula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 Old 02-26-2019, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Ok, I have been running my truck with the thermostat installed just like the OP has on his truck. My observations are as follows. Truck still takes a while to warm up. On my 23 mile drive to work it will finally warm up to about 130 in 15 miles. And usually has reached 150 by the time I am at work. This is with an outside temp of 40F. Once warm the trans shifts beautifully and the truck drives better and smoother. But, I also noticed that the truck is starting to shift better when cold. This has to be the result of the trans getting to the proper temp to go into learning mode. Thats the only explanation that makes sense. I do think that the best place for the thermostat would be between the radiator and the cooler so the fluid would get to operating temp faster but that is a much more difficult install from what I can tell. Might could be done easier with some fittings and extra hose so you could mount the thermostat in an easier spot. But overall I'm pleased and the truck is 100% better.
rexey likes this.

2016 Titan XD SV 4x4, Cummins Turbo Diesel,Magnetic Black. AFE dry high flow air filter, EZLynk w/Proven Diesel 60hp full delete tune, Pro4x wheels, polished tool box.
post #13 of 52 Old 02-26-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titantim2004 View Post
Ok, I have been running my truck with the thermostat installed just like the OP has on his truck. My observations are as follows. Truck still takes a while to warm up. On my 23 mile drive to work it will finally warm up to about 130 in 15 miles. And usually has reached 150 by the time I am at work. This is with an outside temp of 40F. Once warm the trans shifts beautifully and the truck drives better and smoother. But, I also noticed that the truck is starting to shift better when cold. This has to be the result of the trans getting to the proper temp to go into learning mode. Thats the only explanation that makes sense. I do think that the best place for the thermostat would be between the radiator and the cooler so the fluid would get to operating temp faster but that is a much more difficult install from what I can tell. Might could be done easier with some fittings and extra hose so you could mount the thermostat in an easier spot. But overall I'm pleased and the truck is 100% better.

It's the learning I can't wait for. Once the thermostats on and learning happens and the flair gets handled I'm gonna be super happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 52 Old 02-27-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
We have a truck with one installed in that spot and a side by side comparison test on temps coming this weekend. More info to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexey View Post
It's the learning I can't wait for. Once the thermostats on and learning happens and the flair gets handled I'm gonna be super happy.

I couldn't be happier. A flair here and there but nothing crazy and it seems they are diminishing in frequency.
Titantim2004, rexey and tdhanses like this.
post #15 of 52 Old 02-28-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Lmao its learning....this is a funny post.
post #16 of 52 Old 02-28-2019, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannweld View Post
Lmao its learning....this is a funny post.

It's a learning transmission. But it only learns when warm over 140f.

post #17 of 52 Old 03-02-2019, 08:06 AM
DTF

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Revmax is marketing their new thermal bypass for the 68re and the rc69 on IG lol.
post #18 of 52 Old 03-13-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I've been asked to update about the truck with the thermostat installed between radiator and cooler...

It warms up a bit faster, maybe 5-10% it seems, but not enough in my opinion to warrant running all new lines to accomplish it.
post #19 of 52 Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadenwahboy View Post
I've been asked to update about the truck with the thermostat installed between radiator and cooler...

It warms up a bit faster, maybe 5-10% it seems, but not enough in my opinion to warrant running all new lines to accomplish it.
Hmmm. You would think it would warm up about as fast as the truck does. My truck temp is usually up to normal in about 5-6 miles. The heat exchanger should warm up the trans fluid a lot faster. Do you think its possible that a lot of our trucks have defective heat exchangers which is what is causing the problems in the first place? There are a few of the trucks out there that warm up and drive fine according to their owners. I wonder if Nissan has looked into that possibilty?
rexey likes this.

2016 Titan XD SV 4x4, Cummins Turbo Diesel,Magnetic Black. AFE dry high flow air filter, EZLynk w/Proven Diesel 60hp full delete tune, Pro4x wheels, polished tool box.
post #20 of 52 Old 03-13-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Hmmm. You would think it would warm up about as fast as the truck does. My truck temp is usually up to normal in about 5-6 miles. The heat exchanger should warm up the trans fluid a lot faster. Do you think its possible that a lot of our trucks have defective heat exchangers which is what is causing the problems in the first place? There are a few of the trucks out there that warm up and drive fine according to their owners. I wonder if Nissan has looked into that possibilty?
It's all about flow and generated heat. The trans doesn't make heat fast enough to warm up like the coolant does. The small (relatively speaking) flow rate of the trans doesn't let fluid pass by heated coolant fast enough to make them heat at a similar rate.

Nothing is defective, just a poor-ish design.

The rate at which the fluid heats up with trans thermostat installed is right in line with other vehicles.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page