145* Thermostat Installed - PICS - Week 1 Thoughts - Page 3 - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 15Likes

post #21 of 52 Old 03-13-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadenwahboy View Post
It's all about flow and generated heat. The trans doesn't make heat fast enough to warm up like the coolant does. The small (relatively speaking) flow rate of the trans doesn't let fluid pass by heated coolant fast enough to make them heat at a similar rate.

Nothing is defective, just a poor-ish design.

The rate at which the fluid heats up with trans thermostat installed is right in line with other vehicles.

Then why do some work (warm up) as they should?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 Old 03-13-2019, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexey View Post

That's exactly what I asked before. Some trucks warm up fine and drive good, even in colder climates. But most don't warm up at all. I had never seen my gauge register at all until I installed the thermostat. Now it will climb up to nearly halfway. Mine will now hold about 158 degrees in normal driving.
rexey likes this.

2016 Titan XD SV 4x4, Cummins Turbo Diesel,Magnetic Black. AFE dry high flow air filter, EZLynk w/Proven Diesel 60hp full delete tune, Pro4x wheels, polished tool box.
post #23 of 52 Old 03-13-2019, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexey View Post

hi. a lot of this is two things.
1. outside climate. if it's really cold out (below 40F) the trans temp hardly ever shows on my gauge
2. the kind of driving you are doing. if you are driving in town and lots of stop and go (and especially long stops where its in drive and you are barely moving or totally stopped) it'll warm up and show a notch or two on the temp gauge even if its 30-40F outside. if you are moving at higher speeds and not stopping, I think that the flow over the trans cooler plus the fact that the converter is locked up almost all the time means hardly any temp in the trans

for example, last monday I drove from my house all the way to Philly and into the city. the first 50 mins of the drive was almost all highway. the outside temp was 38 deg. the trans gauge showed nothing at all the entire time. the last 20 mins was in the city. stop and go and barely creeping ahead. within 5 mins of being into that the trans gauge crept up and was showing two notches. she'll warm up a little bit in stop and go or totally stopped driving cause theres very little airflow across the cooler plus the converter is slipping and not locked.

that's why i think some people say that they see theirs warm up and others don't

PS on the way home, I started off in downtown city driving; temp gauge on trans was showing one notch after about 15 mins and then 2 notches after 20 mins. then i got on the highway and it dropped from 2 notches, to 1 notch, and then showed no notches after about 10 mins on the highway and showed no notches all the way home (about 35 more mins). converter was locked up in 6th gear at 70 mph the entire way and she cooled off totally.

2016 XD PR 4x4 Cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 52 Old 03-14-2019, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by d15b7 View Post
1. outside climate. if it's really cold out (below 40F) the trans temp hardly ever shows on my gauge
2. the kind of driving you are doing. if you are driving in town and lots of stop and go (and especially long stops where its in drive and you are barely moving or totally stopped) it'll warm up and show a notch or two on the temp gauge even if its 30-40F outside. if you are moving at higher speeds and not stopping, I think that the flow over the trans cooler plus the fact that the converter is locked up almost all the time means hardly any temp in the trans

for example, last monday I drove from my house all the way to Philly and into the city. the first 50 mins of the drive was almost all highway. the outside temp was 38 deg. the trans gauge showed nothing at all the entire time. the last 20 mins was in the city. stop and go and barely creeping ahead. within 5 mins of being into that the trans gauge crept up and was showing two notches. she'll warm up a little bit in stop and go or totally stopped driving cause theres very little airflow across the cooler plus the converter is slipping and not locked.

that's why i think some people say that they see theirs warm up and others don't

PS on the way home, I started off in downtown city driving; temp gauge on trans was showing one notch after about 15 mins and then 2 notches after 20 mins. then i got on the highway and it dropped from 2 notches, to 1 notch, and then showed no notches after about 10 mins on the highway and showed no notches all the way home (about 35 more mins). converter was locked up in 6th gear at 70 mph the entire way and she cooled off totally.

But this is not what we are talking about. We have members on here who's trucks warm the trans up about the same time the engine warms up. Even in 15-20 degree weather. And it stays warm and shows on the gauge like it should in all driving modes whether its highway or city. Mine and many others won't warm up over about 105 degrees at all. Not until I installed the thermostat. So whats the difference in the trucks that do warm up and the many that don't? Has to be something in the heat exchanger that is not working properly. Nissan needs to investigate this but I'm not holding my breath.
rexey likes this.

2016 Titan XD SV 4x4, Cummins Turbo Diesel,Magnetic Black. AFE dry high flow air filter, EZLynk w/Proven Diesel 60hp full delete tune, Pro4x wheels, polished tool box.
post #25 of 52 Old 03-16-2019, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titantim2004 View Post
Quote:

But this is not what we are talking about. We have members on here who's trucks warm the trans up about the same time the engine warms up. Even in 15-20 degree weather. And it stays warm and shows on the gauge like it should in all driving modes whether its highway or city. Mine and many others won't warm up over about 105 degrees at all. Not until I installed the thermostat. So whats the difference in the trucks that do warm up and the many that don't? Has to be something in the heat exchanger that is not working properly. Nissan needs to investigate this but I'm not holding my breath.
Personally I think the people saying that are full of ****. 1 trans isn't going to warm up any faster than the other unless one is in Canada and the other in Florida where the outside temps are drastically different. I'm in Louisiana and normal city driving it takes forever for my trans to warm up but it will get to about the second notch after a while. All our trucks have the same parts... so how can one act totally different than the other?
post #26 of 52 Old 04-01-2019, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Anyone know if this improved racing allows partial flow when it’s closed? Because when that thermostat closes you’re just restricting flow to the cooler which is pumped? So what’s happening to that internal pump when this thermo Star is closed?
post #27 of 52 Old 04-01-2019, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Yes, it allows ~10% bypass when closed which prevents thermal shock, air pockets, dead-ending the flow.
post #28 of 52 Old 04-01-2019, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titantim2004 View Post
Quote:

Personally I think the people saying that are full of ****. 1 trans isn't going to warm up any faster than the other unless one is in Canada and the other in Florida where the outside temps are drastically different. I'm in Louisiana and normal city driving it takes forever for my trans to warm up but it will get to about the second notch after a while. All our trucks have the same parts... so how can one act totally different than the other?
Careful...talking like that to these "true believers" will draw the ire of others on the forum and they'll tell you that you are "hurting people's feelings" because they think they have problems.
Or...you can stick to your guns like me and tell them all they are simply creating a problem where none exists and a solution to nothing....unless one of them is covertly an aftermarket parts sales person😁😁
I'm guessing that most have absolutely no experience working a truck or towing nor any real understanding of how trans cooling and heat rejection work in relation to....and why Nissan intentionally designed this transmission cooling package to be so robust and cool so effectively.
They mistake progressive shift patterns and programming for "transmission flare" and because the transmission doesn't shift like the cars or jacked up whatever they have mostly driven.
Fact is I haven't seen or heard one person who works their truck or tows complain about the transmission cooling....so in your words..I agree...full of shite😁😁
post #29 of 52 Old 04-02-2019, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
He's baaaaaaack...
post #30 of 52 Old 04-02-2019, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
145* Thermostat Installed - PICS - Week 1 Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Knight View Post
Anyone know if this improved racing allows partial flow when itís closed? Because when that thermostat closes youíre just restricting flow to the cooler which is pumped? So whatís happening to that internal pump when this thermo Star is closed?

Yes 10%. It's a closed loop not blocking flow. No pumped fluid is stopped.

Last edited by rexey; 04-02-2019 at 08:43 AM.

User Tag List