post #1 of 77 Old 12-25-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
My 2016 Nissan Titan XD build, repairs, and mods thread

Hello!

I will give a very short version right now, because I am about to run - but earlier this month, I traded both cars in on a 2016 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X with the Utility & Audio package:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	31162

I am deeply in love with this truck. Expect a lot more detail to come, including the mods and add-ons I have already done!!
dewey and Fluidic like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 12-26-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So how or why did I find my way into this awesome truck?

I am 6'4" and sick of neck and back pain from hunching in my car. I am also planning to do a ~yearlong trip of camping and offroad adventuring across the whole US and a good part of Canada, in 4 years or so. Because of those reasons, plus my penchant for doing projects to build and fix things, I decided I would look into trucks - and so I did for about 6 months this year. I test drove 11 or 12 different trucks. I actually test drove a Platinum Titan XD back in March and hated it - because it had the transmission computer issues that led to crappy shifting. But so I did my researching and test driving from July onwards after deciding on that big trip in my future... and I was disappointed in most of them, either due to not fitting or due to mechanical reliability issues. I ended up, after reading one horror story too many about the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel and how it can, you know, grenade at around 20,000 miles... deciding to try the Titan XD again after reading that the TCM was reflashed and fixed.

And I loved it. I grew up learning to drive a 7.3L Ford Excursion so driving a diesel tank is sort of my home territory for driving. The utility and comfort of the Pro-4X, plus all the offroad stuff being built-in already, means I am set for the trip in the future and the projects here in the present.

I went up to the Nissan on December 1 and just wanted to test drive - it was the tail end of the Black Friday sale for them and the salesmen REALLY wanted to move the truck. They just kept offering a better and better deal. I genuinely didn't want to buy until the end of the year. But at a certain point we had reached, in short: I was going to get a $53,000 truck for $39,500 after trade-ins on both of my cars. And I was going to get out of the Chevy cleanly (they bought it for what I owed) and I actually ended up making money on the Subaru (they gave me $2500 for it). I couldn't pass up the deal.

So I traded in my 2015 Chevy Cruze turbodiesel...

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	31169

... and also the 2001 Subaru Outback wagon which I fully rebuilt and kitted out for camping and working (roof basket, LED light bars, pulled and fully rebuilt the engine)...

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	31177

SO: Mods/add-ons thus far, making use of the heated warehouse my dad has access to...

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	31185

... include the following:

1) OEM mudflaps

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	31193

2) OEM bumper step

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	31201

3) Titan boxes purchased used and self-installed

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	31209

4a/4b) combination Fia branded winter front cover and summer bug cover for the front grill

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	31217

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	31225

5) mobile oil change platform for my small business I do on the side: set up and working well!

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	31233

This thread will be used to track projects, difficulties, maintenance, and any other items of note. I look forward to running this truck for a very, very long time to come.

Next project which has been purchased: the Rough Country LED light bar for the lower front grill.

Next intended project to buy, I think - the Mishimoto coolant filter setup.
Carolinaxd and Phantom XD like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 77 Old 12-26-2016, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Nice work so far , I have the fia and the oem step also,
mrbrefast likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 Old 12-26-2016, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
2016 Pro4X with all options. 1-1/4 rear lift 2.5" front lift, air bags, and 305/55r20 tires.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3782_1482812131002.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	16177  
Rpeeps and mrbrefast like this.
post #5 of 77 Old 12-26-2016, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Garage
Looking good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mrbrefast likes this.

2016 Titan XD PR 4x4, bone stock
post #6 of 77 Old 12-26-2016, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
I love reading build threads, gives me ideas plus I can live vicariously though you guys with a lot more money than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrbrefast likes this.

2016 PRO-4X Diesel
post #7 of 77 Old 02-13-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
OK a quick update - I drove 1300 miles this weekend. From Cleveland OH to NYC; from NYC to Boston; and then during the severe blizzard on Sunday... from Boston to the mountains of Vermont at night in the blizzard... then via upstate New York's back roads to 90 and finally Rochester... before returning to Cleveland this afternoon.

Why Vermont in a blizzard at night through the mountains? Turns out that the Titan's GPS has an option for "minimize travel time" which was turned on, and also a "minimize toll roads" that was on. It *GREATLY* favors minimizing toll roads over travel time - it took me through the mountains of Vermont and upstate NY so I didn't have to pay the ~$17 toll on I90. Adding about 3 hours of transit time during horrible weather. BUT: also gave me the chance to REALLY put the truck through the ringer - and it performed astonishingly well!

Pic of the VT mountain road at dusk, with the usual "camera phone doesn't truly capture the level of white out conditions":

Pic of the gorgeous truck along the blizzard trail, which is now fully broken-in at 6500 miles... meaning more mods can be done without me worrying:

Rpeeps, Demiles, WYXD and 1 others like this.

post #8 of 77 Old 03-24-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Today I:

1) hit 9750 miles with the ECU telling me I have 71 miles remaining until I need to do the oil change (so apparently it is not just based on miles but actually monitors the oil's health?)

2) installed the Weathertech window vents so I can let the car air out on the hot days to come without rain coming in:

3) swapped on the Fia mesh bug guard in place of the winter front:

Tomorrow and/or Sunday: first oil change, fuel filters need swapped. Lamin-X headlight and fog light covers to install.

Maybe even install that Rough Country LED bar in the lower grill, finally.

post #9 of 77 Old 03-27-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
OK, yesterday saw several of the tasks I wanted to get done:

1) oil filter and engine oil; fuel filters (which were surprisingly dirty):

2) Finally installed the S&B air intake I have had since the end of December 2016:

3) removed the OEM fog lights to properly install yellow Lamin-X. I love yellow foglights to an absurd degree:

MTXDPro4x likes this.

post #10 of 77 Old 03-27-2017, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Tips and tricks - Rough Country 20" LED light bar installation

OK so it took a while to get the entire install done, but here are some of the important tips and tricks I figured out while doing the process:

For the purposes of running the control wires through the firewall, the easiest ingress I could find was the hood latch cable grommet near the brake pedal. Figure on using a coat hanger with some ~14 gauge wire taped thoroughly to it for the purposes of making the hole big enough:

You will need to cut the control wire to remove the connector (to the switch) to pull just cables through the grommet. It took a few tries but eventually the hole was made large enough to pass the taped bundle of three cables (without the outermost protective wrap).

The dashboard of the XD is very easy to take apart as it is only two screws and then multiple metal-reinforced friction tabs. That said, I could not for the life of me get the blank button out next to the Cargo Lights switch, so I decided (for now) to just drill through it and notch it out to use the switch included with the Rough Country package:

The switch... does not look stock. What it does do, though, is make CLEAR that it is different so I do not accidentally hit it and melt the eyes of oncoming traffic... as well as melting their cars (see the pics of the light output, below):

Using the advice from another thread here, I ran the cable alongside the battery and air box. I also used the hood strut mounting bracket to mount the relay, because it has a pre-drilled hole so I could minimize the scarring I did to the truck today (it was physically painful, to cut out that lower grill permanently):

All told, I think the Rough Country setup looks rather slick, besides looking stock:

This is JUST the light bar, which has a combo of auxiliary fog lights on either edge and then a SEVERE, APOCALYPTIC spot light in the middle. I love it so much, though I will never get to use it for fear of melting too many bystanders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page