on posting on the forum, first attempt this afternoon I didn't see, so if this duplicates later....that's why. I have been lurking on the forum for a while, had my eye on the XD's since they came out, coming from 2006 LBZ Duramax. I'm moving out west to next duty station and need to tow a moving trailer and get into a new truck at the same time.
Have a line on 2017 XD PR
Cummins out of Dallas, I have the opportunity to get it delivered, check it out, and purchase it if I like it. I have the carfax, it has 15k miles, had wheel rotations, and two oil changes, 8k and 14k.
Questions I have for the community:
1) I have read about the leaking EGR coolers from '16 trucks, Car and Driver said September '16 was when updated coolers went on trucks. Is this valid? Build date on this '17 is 6/17. I don't have a picture of the engine plate to check the serial with Cummins QuickServe and see when the engine build date was. Please let me know if this seems after the time of cooler troubles or if there is anything else to be aware of.
2) I will need an engine block heater for winters. Reading some of of the threads, it seems the '16s did not come equipped with the heater plug. I will not know until it gets here what exactly the configuration on this '17 PR
is, is it likely to come equipped with the radiator plug I connect to the dealer purchased cord or will I need to retrofit in the heater and aluminum plumbing?
3) I'm aware of the loose bolts on '17 driveshafts, so I will check that out first thing. I have also heard of power steering and transfer case defects, what are those exactly, and how do I check that out?
Any other '17 problem areas to be aware of or check out when I inspect this thing?
My first mods are:
1) Husky liners
3) Softopper, if it will fit with the titan boxes and utilitrack...any users here that use the soft topper or perhaps the new RETRAX cover with the track system?
4) Get rid of some of that PR
chrome! Any how-to's on front clip removal so I can paint match the surround or the PR
If it all pans out in the long run...maybe Icon lift/wheels and 33's with ADD bumper and Leitner Designs/Decked system. Plus (of course) engine mods if it proves reliable over the next year. Any first owner considerations or advice on inspection welcome as I move this direction! Thanks in advance.