Potential New PR XD Cummins - Nissan Titan XD Forum

post #1 of 47 Old 03-31-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Potential New PR XD Cummins

Try #2 on posting on the forum, first attempt this afternoon I didn't see, so if this duplicates later....that's why. I have been lurking on the forum for a while, had my eye on the XD's since they came out, coming from 2006 LBZ Duramax. I'm moving out west to next duty station and need to tow a moving trailer and get into a new truck at the same time.

Have a line on 2017 XD PR Cummins out of Dallas, I have the opportunity to get it delivered, check it out, and purchase it if I like it. I have the carfax, it has 15k miles, had wheel rotations, and two oil changes, 8k and 14k.

Questions I have for the community:

1) I have read about the leaking EGR coolers from '16 trucks, Car and Driver said September '16 was when updated coolers went on trucks. Is this valid? Build date on this '17 is 6/17. I don't have a picture of the engine plate to check the serial with Cummins QuickServe and see when the engine build date was. Please let me know if this seems after the time of cooler troubles or if there is anything else to be aware of.

2) I will need an engine block heater for winters. Reading some of of the threads, it seems the '16s did not come equipped with the heater plug. I will not know until it gets here what exactly the configuration on this '17 PR is, is it likely to come equipped with the radiator plug I connect to the dealer purchased cord or will I need to retrofit in the heater and aluminum plumbing?

3) I'm aware of the loose bolts on '17 driveshafts, so I will check that out first thing. I have also heard of power steering and transfer case defects, what are those exactly, and how do I check that out?

Any other '17 problem areas to be aware of or check out when I inspect this thing?

My first mods are:

1) Husky liners
2) iDrive
3) Softopper, if it will fit with the titan boxes and utilitrack...any users here that use the soft topper or perhaps the new RETRAX cover with the track system?
4) Get rid of some of that PR chrome! Any how-to's on front clip removal so I can paint match the surround or the PR tailgate flash?

If it all pans out in the long run...maybe Icon lift/wheels and 33's with ADD bumper and Leitner Designs/Decked system. Plus (of course) engine mods if it proves reliable over the next year. Any first owner considerations or advice on inspection welcome as I move this direction! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 04-05-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Truck gets delivered Sunday (carvana), if it doesn't have that block heater...back to carvana, if any of you here are interested in picking it up.

In addition to questions above, what is a standard stock '17 mileage number from Platinum Reserve owners? I plan to go through the dash cluster and see what the mileage history is (if possible) to see if the engine seems up to par and was broken in correctly and the rings seated well.
post #3 of 47 Old 04-06-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Garage
Hardly any of them came with the block heater installed... Let alone with the cord also. Standard miles? Wth does that mean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 04-06-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, that's my confusion and dealers have no clue either...inspecting '19's on the lot under the radiator I see a small plastic/rubber cap on what feels to be a threaded mount on a lower radiator pipe. I take it 1) either that's where the heating element has to be installed/wired or 2) the heating element is already installed and awaits the cord.

Not sure how/if these '17s come. If it has nothing on the lower radiator at all, that's my concern...I guess it would necessitate a block heater friendly part install from a new model year, worst case.

*average fuel economy, computer tracked. i.e. if it comes with a lifetime average of 12-13 mpg computer generated dash cluster vs. 18-19 (best case I guess), should I be concerned that it did not break in nice and tight? No expert there, just some educated reading.
post #5 of 47 Old 04-06-2019, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Garage
Gotcha. I would say the universal avg is 16mpg. Depending on use.
Take the cap off and if you see two male pins and threads around the outside of the ring then the heater is installed and all you need is the cord.
post #6 of 47 Old 04-06-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afkiwi View Post
Truck gets delivered Sunday (carvana), if it doesn't have that block heater...back to carvana, if any of you here are interested in picking it up.

In addition to questions above, what is a standard stock '17 mileage number from Platinum Reserve owners? I plan to go through the dash cluster and see what the mileage history is (if possible) to see if the engine seems up to par and was broken in correctly and the rings seated well.
Block heater and cord are real easy and inexpensive. Have them promise to pick up bill at dealership first oil change maybe?
post #7 of 47 Old 04-06-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Perfect, thank you both for the input. I will see what the computer mileage is (hopefully 16 or better) and check the lower radiator. If the heater element isn't there, I would surmise it's a dump the coolant and screw in element+cord type deal?

I have the cummins quick serve account up and ready to see when the engine build date is when I can see the plate, the other big inspection point on this used truck is the EGR cooler. Was there a VIN block on the '17s or specific TSB on which trucks have those problems crop up on? (initial post) Also need to wiggle (scientific term) the 4 drive bolts I guess to see if they are loose...
post #8 of 47 Old 04-06-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afkiwi View Post
Perfect, thank you both for the input. I will see what the computer mileage is (hopefully 16 or better) and check the lower radiator. If the heater element isn't there, I would surmise it's a dump the coolant and screw in element+cord type deal?

I have the cummins quick serve account up and ready to see when the engine build date is when I can see the plate, the other big inspection point on this used truck is the EGR cooler. Was there a VIN block on the '17s or specific TSB on which trucks have those problems crop up on? (initial post) Also need to wiggle (scientific term) the 4 drive bolts I guess to see if they are loose...
Id plan on doing a thorough look over at a nissan dealer within lemon law time. They can checkheater, ecu updates etc
post #9 of 47 Old 04-06-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Good advice, I did plan to take it in to get the block heater cord and heater looked at, as well as have them run the VIN and check on anything, have your local dealers charged for a VIN/ECU checkup without any planned maintenance? Per carfax the oil was changed 2 months ago, but it's probably due for fuel filters (which I can do myself).

I'm comfortable doing all regular maintenance beside transmission flushes and wheel balancing. Not sure how carvana and lemon laws work with the nissan warranty, pretty sure besides the normal warranty period I'm on my own if something big happens in GA. Makes me a little nervous, obviously. I do have 7 days to check out the truck, take it in for inspection etc. and I can return it to carvana for a full refund if I decide to do so within that period. After that, no backsies.
post #10 of 47 Old 04-07-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Truck delivered, these things are big!

Has some rock chips on hood, roof, some clear coat door damage, and a few windshield stars. But it's in good condition otherwise, especially the leather inside. Window tint installed by dealer has some small gouges and really tacky !painted! pin stripes.

XDHunter, thanks for the vector, I unbolted the plastic skid guard and checked lower radiator, there is indeed a threaded mount with two male knobs for what I take it is block heater. I also tugged on the 4 bolts connecting the drive shaft, they seem solid enough.

Letting it sit after a short test drive to check the oil. Cummins Quickserve has this ESN as a build date of May '17, June '17 was the build date of the entire truck - would that have the updated EGR cooler then with less chance of leakage? Car and Driver said post Sept '16?

Looks like this was a single owner around town truck in Frisco Texas for the last 15k of life - hitch looks perfect, grease still in connectors, bed hardly touched (except to remove the titan boxes and tracks). However, not being worked I think is showing in the engine - 12.7 average on gauge cluster. My neighborhood jaunt was 10.3. Looking in the ECO report, there was no best recorded, and the last few bars on that graph thing are all under 13-14. Does this seem odd/normal? Next few days I'm going to hand calculate from pump to pump some dedicated highway cruising mileage as well as mixed driving to pull some better data, hopefully get some tighter numbers.

Cool truck now I have it in hand, and I like the features/feel - but if this motor wasn't broken in with loads/heat and makes lower than average mileage, I may wait before laying down this much cash and save for one I can have from the start. But I feel like I need this truck at some time in my life, especially deleted and tuned.

BTW cannot say how easy and pleasant a Carvana buying experience is - what a great business model, highly recommend!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page