Interesting engine event today - Nissan Titan XD Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 04-10-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I have a 17 pro 4x XD with the Cummins, 29k bought it used in December.
Besides my flaking paint defects I'm trying to address I've been really happy with my truck.
Had an event today which worries me, sharing to see if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on this.
Been driving intermittently today just some around town journies. About 4 minutes into leaving my house to go visit my parents about 20 mins away I had to break moderate from around 45 or so since someone decided to stop in the middle of the road and use a turn signal after they came to the full stop. After about 10 seconds oncoming traffic clears, they complete the turn and the car between me and them accelerates off. I go to do the same and notice I don't budge, and start to roll backwards. I look down and my battery warning light is on. I have traffic stacking up behind me so I hit my hazards and put the truck in park. Thinking it was still maybe running I hit my start stop button with the intent of shutting the truck down and the truck comes back to life almost as if I was sitting in the "on" position. I shift back into drive and finish my journey. I didn't realize my engine even shut off as my AC was on full blast and music was on (my A/C is on auto and this is only about the second or third day I've even used the A/C it since I had the truck). There was absolutely no hiccup in the A/C or blower or radio. No idea the engine was even off.
Conditions were as follows: 70 and sunny, truck sat in the sun for maybe an hour or two before leaving since I got home last. My truck was still relatively warm Made it to my destination and used my scan gauge which sits on my dash to check for any thrown codes. No codes found. Popped my hood and checked my batteries and they look fine No other abnormalities noted today.

Last edited by jdip; 04-10-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-10-2019, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Yep....totally weird. Wish I had some input, but keep us posted.
However....
I had something similar happen with a 99 F-250 7.3 years ago, cut out on left turn going into traffic !? and I coasted to ditch barely saving my life. Screw Ford for life after that! Turned out to be stripped shifter wiring in column shifter hitting metal and sparking the engine on/off. Doubt that's the same in the Titan, maybe a software error though. Nissan engineers would be wise to monitor this forum and fix their crap before a major safety event happens/recall etc...
post #3 of 27 Old 04-10-2019, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdip View Post
I have a 17 pro 4x XD with the Cummins, 29k bought it used in December.
Besides my flaking paint defects I'm trying to address I've been really happy with my truck.
Had an event today which worries me, sharing to see if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on this.
Been driving intermittently today just some around town journies. About 4 minutes into leaving my house to go visit my parents about 20 mins away I had to break moderate from around 45 or so since someone decided to stop in the middle of the road and use a turn signal after they came to the full stop. After about 10 seconds oncoming traffic clears, they complete the turn and the car between me and them accelerates off. I go to do the same and notice I don't budge, and start to roll backwards. I look down and my battery warning light is on. I have traffic stacking up behind me so I hit my hazards and put the truck in park. Thinking it was still maybe running I hit my start stop button with the intent of shutting the truck down and the truck comes back to life almost as if I was sitting in the "on" position. I shift back into drive and finish my journey. I didn't realize my engine even shut off as my AC was on full blast and music was on (my A/C is on auto and this is only about the second or third day I've even used the A/C it since I had the truck). There was absolutely no hiccup in the A/C or blower or radio. No idea the engine was even off.
Conditions were as follows: 70 and sunny, truck sat in the sun for maybe an hour or two before leaving since I got home last. My truck was still relatively warm Made it to my destination and used my scan gauge which sits on my dash to check for any thrown codes. No codes found. Popped my hood and checked my batteries and they look fine No other abnormalities noted today.
Dang!
Scary!
Check battery terminals and all grounds and demand nissan dealer explain.

Find guy named realbored on here and ask him! Hes a nissan xd tech/mechanic
Mr_Gubbmint_Man likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 04-10-2019, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I think I remember reading somewhere that some trucks would stall with the AC on and the fix was an ECM update. Worth looking into

Stay frosty
post #5 of 27 Old 04-11-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treecowboy View Post
Dang!
Scary!

Battery was my first thought, too. Seems like corrosion on our positive terminals is pretty common, and I'm about to have to clean mine for the second time in less than six months.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gubbmint_Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treecowboy View Post
Dang!
Scary!

Battery was my first thought, too. Seems like corrosion on our positive terminals is pretty common, and I'm about to have to clean mine for the second time in less than six months.
Worst battery terminal corrosion ive ever seen. Straight up.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-11-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Yup check the battery terminals.
post #8 of 27 Old 04-11-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input everyone. I looked at em yesterday but I'll double check them today in case I missed any build up. What is everyone averaging on the voltmeter when running? My voltmeter on my ram was horrible and when I had no cold cranking amps and it was time for a new battery it still read normal.
post #9 of 27 Old 04-11-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdip View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I looked at em yesterday but I'll double check them today in case I missed any build up. What is everyone averaging on the voltmeter when running? My voltmeter on my ram was horrible and when I had no cold cranking amps and it was time for a new battery it still read normal.
14 flat here

Constant corrosion cleaning required
post #10 of 27 Old 04-11-2019, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
14 flat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190317_130539_1555012647044.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	117.3 KB