• 1 Post By realbored

post #1 of 3 Old 04-11-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Limp Mode with no lights?

So on three different occasions on the way to work in the mornings I will be on the loop and my truck seems to downshift and upshift back right after it downshifts. It will do this multiple times and it is an indicator of what is about to happen. Once I pull off the loop and stop at the light my rpm drops, like when it does with the ac shudder incident, but when I press the gas pedal it does nothing but idle. The rpm will rise slightly and the truck will start to roll and once it starts to move the rpm will come up some and start to move. Then once it gets to 5mph or so it will run like normal and go. Then when I stop again it does the same thing again. No lights or indications of any warnings. The first two times I turned it off and back on and it fixed the issue. yesterday morning it continued to do the same thing even after turning it off and restarting twice. It made me miss the light because it would not go. So When I would come to a stop I would hold the brake and keep the rpm up and it would respond that way. At the third red light I would try to hold up the rpms and after 5 seconds of so I assume the torque management would kick in and drop the rpm until I would let off the brake. Drove another mile or so and it went back to normal. Anyone see this issue before?

2016 PR XD 4x4
5.0 Cummins
Java/Bone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-12-2019, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Sounds alot like problems with early 2000s 6.0 diesels in International medium duty.
The problem was the throttle pedal actuator (which is a potentiometer) had an intermittent actuation and voltage applied issue but would not set off codes as the problem didn't register long enough to generate a fault code and was very "sporadic". It impacted idle speeds intermittently and almost exactly as you described.
I haven't seen any throttle actuators bad on the XD but since your not running any CELs and throttle actuation issues are sporadic and short lived it's a possibility. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-12-2019, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
The truck needs to be hooked up to a scanner to monitor readings while this is occurring and to see if there are any DTC's stored.
XDHunter likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page