post #1 of 12 Unread 04-12-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
failed exhaust filters

Is this fact or fiction:
Spewiitt wrote this.
I'm all for clean air and not rolling coal. I'd be down for an emissions friendly tune. Problem is, not if the filter/cat fails, but when. I'd be willing to run one until that happens then upgrade. Or run factory till that happens, get it replaced under warranty (if I still have one by then) then upgrade keeping the fresh system so if I ever have to sell.
Stay frosty

Not sure how many of you have failed exhaust filters but please post your issues or failures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Unread 04-12-2019, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Believe the service life is 150k. If you run an emissions tune you may reduce that but who knows by how much or if at all.
wakinvol likes this.
post #3 of 12 Unread 04-12-2019, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Someone reported a tuning/engine management problem that was overloading the particulate filter but I have heard of no one who has had a particulate filter failure and we have had owners reporting 150k or more mileage already.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Unread 04-12-2019, 03:22 PM

The good old "not IF but WHEN" remark is often delivered without real data behind ut.

You could make that statement about every single part that makes up the truck. The evaluation should really be not if but HOW LONG before a replacement is required.

Do I replace my tires right now because they will EVENTUALLY fail?

How about my lights, or my coolant, or maybe just the whole engine, because yes, it will eventually fail (although probably not for many many miles).

Just because a part may eventually wear out does not mean you should start eliminating those parts from your truck, especially if it is keeping nasty **** out of the air we breath. And yeah, it's likely that if you are operating the vehicle and its components outside their original design parameters you are more likely to have premature part failures.

I'm all for better performance and more power but not at the cost of your, my child's or my health.

post #5 of 12 Unread 04-12-2019, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled View Post
The good old "not IF but WHEN" remark is often delivered without real data behind ut.

You could make that statement about every single part that makes up the truck. The evaluation should really be not if but HOW LONG before a replacement is required.

Do I replace my tires right now because they will EVENTUALLY fail?

How about my lights, or my coolant, or maybe just the whole engine, because yes, it will eventually fail (although probably not for many many miles).

Just because a part may eventually wear out does not mean you should start eliminating those parts from your truck, especially if it is keeping nasty **** out of the air we breath. And yeah, it's likely that if you are operating the vehicle and its components outside their original design parameters you are more likely to have premature part failures.

I'm all for better performance and more power but not at the cost of your, my child's or my health.

In your expert opinion would an emissions friendly tune that turns off only egr likely cause emissions equipment to wear at an advanced rate over completely stock?
post #6 of 12 Unread 04-12-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treecowboy View Post
In your expert opinion would an emissions friendly tune that turns off only egr likely cause emissions equipment to wear at an advanced rate over completely stock?
As long as the only function is to discontinue recirculating a portion of the exhaust back into the intake I doubt that the simple "no EGR" would cause accelerated wear on the emissions equipment.

If the tune results in increased combustion by-products, even if it is labeled 'emissions friendly' then that could cause increased wear. Without real data from the exhaust I don't think it would be possible to predict increased wear or not.

It should be noted that even if the emissions equipment is having to work harder it may or may not result in any premature failure.

The discussion could get long and involved, but as a rule of thumb any alteration in the 'tune' or engine management parameters will alter the exhaust, to what extent and with what consequences can vary widely.

post #7 of 12 Unread 04-14-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled View Post
Quote:
As long as the only function is to discontinue recirculating a portion of the exhaust back into the intake I doubt that the simple "no EGR" would cause accelerated wear on the emissions equipment.

If the tune results in increased combustion by-products, even if it is labeled 'emissions friendly' then that could cause increased wear. Without real data from the exhaust I don't think it would be possible to predict increased wear or not.

It should be noted that even if the emissions equipment is having to work harder it may or may not result in any premature failure.

The discussion could get long and involved, but as a rule of thumb any alteration in the 'tune' or engine management parameters will alter the exhaust, to what extent and with what consequences can vary widely.

Thanks for that feedback

I studied up on the range rover passive Egr. Very interesting in that it recirculates exhaust gas from after the first scr in order to minimize soot return and extra cooling of gas prior to re-intry into compression event.
garyjs likes this.
post #8 of 12 Unread Today, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
deleting myths

Quote:
The only expert opinion I have is who the **** knows if stock, tuned or tuned and deleted is going to work best with our trucks.
I do know that U9 on idrive combined with Proven Diesel's sotf menu of emissions on tunes is pretty potent stuff.
I do know that I will give my truck the best service and parts and use everything she has to offer.
I refuse to look down on or speak poorly of anyone who chooses the delete route.

I do know that not 1 person posted about a failed exhaust filter.
post #9 of 12 Unread Today, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjs View Post
Quote:
The only expert opinion I have is who the **** knows if stock, tuned or tuned and deleted is going to work best with our trucks.
I do know that U9 on idrive combined with Proven Diesel's sotf menu of emissions on tunes is pretty potent stuff.
I do know that I will give my truck the best service and parts and use everything she has to offer.
I refuse to look down on or speak poorly of anyone who chooses the delete route.

I do know that not 1 person posted about a failed exhaust filter.
If im not mistaken i asked roadlesstraveled who i believe is a diesel mechanic at nissan and i value his thoughts whatever they might be. Seemed to me he had some good thoughts on the subject.

Fyi - what you are running is vey similar to the oem no-egr Gen V in Europe. Maybe the scr and def components are the same and overbuilt as is our frame and transmission and brakes etc

Last edited by Treecowboy; Today at 01:16 AM.
post #10 of 12 Unread Today, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
deleting coal

Are there any forum members who enjoy the sensations of breathing in their own coal?
If not why would you remove the exhaust filter when performance is nearly identical?
Sometimes I think of things in 1 dimension and the better answer escapes me.
I get the argument for stock but the delete argument is not so clear.

Rollin Coal make us diesel truck owners all look bad.
Thanks to all for your comments.

User Tag List