Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in for an oil change and scheduled maintenance at a 'certified deisel' Nissan dealership. They had to order the Oil Filter, and both Fuel Filters ahead of time at a cost of $253.57 (Can$) OUCH
Then it turns out the Car Hoists they are using in the dealership will not lift an empty Titan... (Its too heavy)
They called around to other dealerships within the Greater Toronto Area and it looks like this dealership is not alone!

·
1,253 Posts
Seems like the oil filters and fuel filters on ebay are a pretty good deal then.... I get mine right from the Cummins dealer, but I know not everyone has that access.

·
1,253 Posts
I'm not an Amazon member, but if they have them there, a lot of times it's free shipping. I now buy my filters 2 at a time so I always have one ready for a change. That goes for the fuel filters too.

·
269 Posts
just fyi ; K&n has oil and air filters for these beasts.. prices for their stuff seems reasonable.. XXX
Yes, I got one of the K&N oil filters...part number HP-3005. Uses part synthetic filter media and is heavier than the Fleetguard OEM product (got one of those too.) I'm guessing the fine filtration capability is better on the K&N, however it is more expensive. You can get both on Amazon and the K&N air filter as well. Probably won't use the K&N all the time as I plan to change the oil a helluva lot more often than the 10,000 mile recommendation. Doing it yourself and grabbing the oil on sale at the local auto parts store is pretty reasonable.

Took me well over 300,000 miles in my old Dodge 91 5.9 by being somewhat obsessive about it--and that engine took a full 12 quarts! Man, with EGR pumping soot down the top end and the regen cycle dumping diesel in it seems crazy to go to 10,000 miles. Cheap insurance to change it more often and use a good filter--I know the oil is better these days, but that is some abuse!!

·
48 Posts
I went in for an oil change and scheduled maintenance at a 'certified deisel' Nissan dealership. They had to order the Oil Filter, and both Fuel Filters ahead of time at a cost of $253.57 (Can$) OUCH
Then it turns out the Car Hoists they are using in the dealership will not lift an empty Titan... (Its too heavy)
They called around to other dealerships within the Greater Toronto Area and it looks like this dealership is not alone!
Don't get your maintenance done at Nissan , they charge a 100% markup on al of the filters , oils and DEF fluid , you can get filters from fleetguard or Cummins and oil from just about anywhere . The DEF at my dealer is 36.99 and the same jug at Petro canada is 15.99. Find a trustworthy private mechanic or buy your own oil and filters and go to super lube

·
48 Posts
the tranny service is pretty much a scam , all they do is drain what is in the bottom of the tranny and change the filter . this does nothing for the majority of the fluid that is still in the Torque Converter . imho you should be able to go at least 100000 miles between trans fluid changes unless you are towing a heavy load often. if you want to do a proper tranny service , go to a transmission shop and have them flush the transmission . this is usually done by hooking up to the tranny cooler lines pumping new fluid in one side until clean fluid comes out the other , along with changing the filter. as for break fluid , you should never have to touch it for the life of the vehicle.

·
701 Posts
what is a 'certified diesel' Nissan dealer and how do you find out which ones are blessed with the diesel certification ??? xxx

·
1,590 Posts
Clearly not that place. There lift must be 4 scissor jacks they borrow from the trunks of used cars in the lot

·
180 Posts
the tranny service is pretty much a scam , all they do is drain what is in the bottom of the tranny and change the filter . this does nothing for the majority of the fluid that is still in the Torque Converter . imho you should be able to go at least 100000 miles between trans fluid changes unless you are towing a heavy load often. if you want to do a proper tranny service , go to a transmission shop and have them flush the transmission . this is usually done by hooking up to the tranny cooler lines pumping new fluid in one side until clean fluid comes out the other , along with changing the filter. as for break fluid , you should never have to touch it for the life of the vehicle.
I agree with what you say about the trans -- just draining the pan will get only half (at most) of the trans fluid. maybe that's why they spec out 20k intervals; you'll be gradually exchanging out old fluid for new fluid (with fresh detergent package). this is exactly what I do with my 20 yr old Lexus GS400; every other oil change I drain the trans fluid (about 3 qts comes out) and refill with fresh fluid. it's extremely easy to do (there is a drain plug) and keeps the fluid looking almost new (i've got 150k on the car now).

I strongly disagree with your statement about the brake fluid; the fluid should be totally flushed every 5 years (at a minimum!). brake fluid is hydroscopic (it draws in moisture) and gets contaminated over time as the years go by. as it absorbs water, the fluid turns from amber to black; the boiling point of fluid drastically drops (from the 500s F down into the 200-300s F) and in a very hard braking situation the fluid will boil in the calipers and you will experience severe brake fade (and possibly crash). also, not changing/flushing your brake fluid allows rust to form in the system and will eventually cause your caliper pistons to sieze, and can cause the seals in your master cylinder to go. also the ABS pumps can be affected. I always flush my brake fluid with a quality fluid (I like Valvoline DOT 4 synthetic) every 3 years or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts