Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new here so sorry if this has already been discussed. I have a 16 Titan XD 5.0 and just recently it seems as if I have the dreaded death wobble. Doesn’t happen all the time, but happens when I turn left or go over big bumps. That’s when I seem to notice it the most. Any help? Thank you so much

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As an update. The steering wheel shakes violently, seems to be a left to right issue, and will stop when I slow down to almost zero. Doesn’t do it at any certain speeds.

·
1,044 Posts
It’s an IFS front, so it won’t really get the Jeep style death wobble.

Generally the wobble comes from slop in left-to-right locating components for the axle or suspension.

Check upper control arms and CV axles. Check for missing wheel weights also.

Interesting that you say it happens when you turn and go over bumps- makes me think like a blown strut that’s just hopping violently.

Serious question- are you accidentally in 4WD???

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s an IFS front, so it won’t really get the Jeep style death wobble.

Generally the wobble comes from slop in left-to-right locating components for the axle or suspension.

Check upper control arms and CV axles. Check for missing wheel weights also.

Interesting that you say it happens when you turn and go over bumps- makes me think like a blown strut that’s just hopping violently.

Serious question- are you accidentally in 4WD???
No I have checked to make sure that I am in 2wd. I am probably going to call dealership first thing in the morning, I just wanted to have an idea of what to tell them.
I had at first thought maybe it was a wheel, but I’m not sure. I’m not finding anyone that is having or has had the same problem so I am just frustrated I guess.

·
240 Posts
No I have checked to make sure that I am in 2wd. I am probably going to call dealership first thing in the morning, I just wanted to have an idea of what to tell them.
I had at first thought maybe it was a wheel, but I’m not sure. I’m not finding anyone that is having or has had the same problem so I am just frustrated I guess.
My Titan was at the dealership last week for the same issue. Had the death wobble real bad! It would come and go at different speeds sometimes after I would hit a bump. I removed my steering stabilizer hoping it was that but that made it worse. While I was under my truck I noticed both axle cv boots were ripped. I didn’t think that would cause it but brought it to Nissan for them to replace both axles under warranty. Just got it back and it hasn’t wobbled at all since.

·
142 Posts
That's what it sounds like to me: failed axle bearings. Does the left hub get hot after you drive for a while?

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Titan was at the dealership last week for the same issue. Had the death wobble real bad! It would come and go at different speeds sometimes after I would hit a bump. I removed my steering stabilizer hoping it was that but that made it worse. While I was under my truck I noticed both axle cv boots were ripped. I didn’t think that would cause it but brought it to Nissan for them to replace both axles under warranty. Just got it back and it hasn’t wobbled at all since.
Well I definitely will be calling them today. That sounds exactly like what mine is doing. Thanks!!

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what it sounds like to me: failed axle bearings. Does the left hub get hot after you drive for a while?
I haven’t really driven it very far since it started. I have a small daughter and don’t want to risk it. She’s 5 months. But next time I do, I’ll check. Thank you so much.

·
240 Posts
Well I definitely will be calling them today. That sounds exactly like what mine is doing. Thanks!!
Just curious how you made out with your truck? Hopefully you got it resolved. Let’s know how you made out.

Reactions: Brown0828731

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So as an update, I took it to the Nissan dealership here where I live and they had it for two days. What I got as a diagnosis was a loose Pitman Arm. They tightened that but and tried replicating the problem and couldn’t. I drove it home and it feels completely different. I didn’t try to make it replicate the wobble, but will today and report back.

·
240 Posts
So as an update, I took it to the Nissan dealership here where I live and they had it for two days. What I got as a diagnosis was a loose Pitman Arm. They tightened that but and tried replicating the problem and couldn’t. I drove it home and it feels completely different. I didn’t try to make it replicate the wobble, but will today and report back.
Glad to hear that. I’m sure that was the issue 👍🏼

·
45 Posts
You only feel the knock through the steering wheel turning left correct?

Had the same exact issue on my 16 Pro4x. Never able to exactly pinpoint the issue. All I did at the time was drive highway and city roads. My truck always drifted to the right regardless of alignment or tire rotations.

Dealer replaced both front struts. Was better only until 1300 miles later. Came back.
Complained and dealer and master Nissan Tech could not duplicate issue.
Several months later Dealer replaced the pitman arm and gearbox due to the seals failing on the steering wheel gearbox. Dealer refused to do an alignment on the truck as it is not called for in the service manual. That’s another story.
Immediately same issue.

Several months later called Nissan America and complained. They had me take it into another dealer.
Same outcome could not replicate issue.

Suspected tie rod links. They were good. Suspected steering dampener loose or bad. It too was good.
Wheel hub was good as well.
Steering wheel shaft and linkage was good.
Outer CV joint was good.

There is an .02 movement allowance that Nissan calls within spec for the steering wheel spline entering into the steering wheel gearbox. That little tolerance you should not feel it and for sure only feel it when making only left turns.

I always suspected it was the Inner CV ball joint that was bad. A flaw in the bearing collar or the inner housing wearing flat I presumed. The boot never was cracked or split. Dealer refused to investigate.

I could always replicate the issue when I had the steering wheel turned to a particular spot and was at speeds over 25mph or going over rough / brick streets. Even though dealership could not identify anything.

Best thing is to find a high end NEW CV axel and see if that takes care of the issue. I personally do not trust reman or repacked CV when you have so much riding in the cab.

·
4 Posts
Mine has it but only at certain speeds and when I hit large bumps in the road. It's at the dealership now and was diagnosed as bad control arms. Waiting for the extended warranty rep to approve the repairs. Gonna ditch the truck once that and my bad turbo actuator are replaced. 99,500 on the clock. It's been fun, but this will be my first and last diesel truck. The EPA has ruined diesels in general, and the lack of parts and service support for the diesel XD is alarming. Turbo actuator is on back order until the end of next month, and I literally have to drive 1.5 hours, past 2 other Nissan dealers, to find one that can actually work on my truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts