Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a 2016 Titan XD 4x4 106,000 miles since November 2019. Unfortunately for me the engine has let go at 110,000 miles. This after the previous owner and myself servicing at stricty Nissan dealers. The Nissan service department and Nissan corporate have denied any assistance with said vehicle. After requesting review Nissan corp, they will not offer any assistance. Parts to rebulid are not available. The Nissan dealer estimated a repair bill of around $14,000. I have found and plan to replace engine with a low mileage engine from a 2019 Titan Xd 5.0 for around $7,000. Upon replacement I will delete and tune to avoid further disappointment from this powerplant. I request fellow owners guidance to tune and delete correctly. I would like to remove the pedal to response lag and still maintain best reliability. I understand that this is the right place to request fellow owner's support. Please offer any support and experience so that I can salvage my loss. I appreciate any responses from my fellow Titan 5.0 owners.

·
85 Posts
Are you saying you bought it at 106K and the engine died at 110K? And you bought it from the previous owner, or a dealership? Have you reached out to Cummins? I don't know why they would tell you that parts to rebuild are not available. Cummins has stated for the record that they will continue supporting these engines with surplus parts even though they are not producing them anymore. Unfortunately, if you bought it directly from the previous owner, and he only had the factory 100K warranty and no extended warranties, then Nissan has every right to deny any claims. That's the crappy part. I would gather up all documentation of service from the Nissan dealers and send it to Cummins to see what they have to say about it. They might just blow you off too, but who knows. At least before you drop $7K on a used engine.

I will also say this, if you can figure out what exactly broke on your engine, regardless of the outcome, if you are able to, part it out and at least recoup some of your money.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I’m afraid Nissan would do nothing even after providing all the service records. I guess it falls on the fact that the vehicle is now outside of the warranty period. I found a 2019 engine with 2k on it and purchased it. I have removed the engine from the truck and now in the process of the reinstall. I had to swap valve cover and several sensors. All due to donor engine’s parts being damaged from vehicle being rolled. I will install this replacement over the next few days. I’m hoping to enjoy a nearly new engine going forward. My perspective is that the wiring harness was the culprit behind this expensive and challenging repair. I’ve learned that there is none better than yourself to work on your vehicle. The dealer charged $540.00 for diagnostic, and the tech couldn’t even screw the oil pan’s bolt all the way in. He wiped his hands all over the engine/suspension cross member to get the extra gasket maker off his gloves leaving an unsightly mess. This is without saying he was the one that misdiagnosed my engine trouble to begin with 2 months ago causing this failure. I’m steadfast in deciding not pay the dealer for a long block replacement and instead doing it myself. At least I know that it’s money well spent.

·
1,507 Posts
How much did you end up spending on the he used motor? And I bet you could sell a damn good bit off that old motor to recoup alot of your m ok money

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to pick one up for 4K including turbo, intake and fuel system. I did have to swap a few thing to it as they were broken but all in all much better than the 14k the stealership was asking. It’s also being done correctly. I have lost all confidence in Nissan’s service department. They were just downright dishonest. They wouldn’t even say why the previous motor’s cylinder was scored. Even after paying them $540.00 for a diagnosis. I know the previous “repair” they did had everything to do with it. But that’s how they make money right? Let your engine get super broke so they can charge the $14k to replace, or get you into a new truck and buy back your trade for as little as possible. These stealerships are there to help themselves to your hard earned, they can care less of repeat business. So I will never give them my business again,

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got back home after nearly finishing my engine swap. I was worried about engine wiring harnesses being different as the part numbers were different. After going thru the entire harness I realized they were the same. Hopefully the newer engine’s harness has updates that eliminate the older harness’s faults. This has been a major project for me. I have been extremely meticulous through the entire process down to switching over any damaged clip or connecter every single bolt and clip was saved. I’m very hopeful of my work tomorrow will show how well I did as I should be completely done. I do plan on parting out the old engine as there are a multitude of greats parts on it. Hoping for the best. I’ll let you know.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So today the replacement engine ran. I have a couple of minor fuel leaks that need to be addressed. But at least it’s all back together now. Tomorrow it should be all finished.

·
85 Posts
That's awesome! Glad it is going well so far. Hopefully you can part out the old engine quickly enough to recoup some of the money you spent on the replacement engine. I would imagine the turbo will get bought pretty quickly at the very least.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after much frustration with the injector fuel return line, I learn that the fuel lines on this Cummins are not reusable. This means that if you crack them loose they will require replacement. This is a major bummer. Two nights ago I finished putting the engine in and attempt to fire it up. I had some major challenges getting it to start and along came help. An experienced diesel mechanic came to help. He suggested we crack the fuel lines going to each injector to bleed the air from the system. I allowed him to do so. The engine did not run that night. Yesterday I was able to start the engine. I experienced some major fuel leaks immediately shutting it off. This afternoon I was able to identify and correct a leak in the plastic return line connector to cylinder 2. After doing so i tested the truck only to find that began to rough immediately. Promptly I shut the engine off then immediately had someone crank it for me. I find there is now a leak on the opposite side of the engine. This time the diesel has sprayed widely. I find that the leak is compound. Now after much research I find that the injector fuel line are not reusable. Once they are loosened they must be replaced. However I am having trouble finding any replacement for them. If someone knows where I can locate these please reply.

·
Read Only
198 Posts
Are you saying you bought it at 106K and the engine died at 110K? And you bought it from the previous owner, or a dealership? Have you reached out to Cummins? I don't know why they would tell you that parts to rebuild are not available. Cummins has stated for the record that they will continue supporting these engines with surplus parts even though they are not producing them anymore. Unfortunately, if you bought it directly from the previous owner, and he only had the factory 100K warranty and no extended warranties, then Nissan has every right to deny any claims. That's the crappy part. I would gather up all documentation of service from the Nissan dealers and send it to Cummins to see what they have to say about it. They might just blow you off too, but who knows. At least before you drop $7K on a used engine.

I will also say this, if you can figure out what exactly broke on your engine, regardless of the outcome, if you are able to, part it out and at least recoup some of your money.
wrong nissan opted out of warranty with Cummins. Nissan decided not to use Cummins programming and use their own. Nissan is on the hook for these full costs. Personally I think Nissan owes us full lifetime warranty

·
Read Only
198 Posts
Do you mind sharing its contents?
Yes I will, I have someone whos parents own a dealership here in Canada and checking on the legal ramifications.

Edit if this is true and the person responding from Cummins is correct IMO this could cause Nissan a ton of grief. I for one do not enjoy the feeling of not if but when she goes. Im at 92000 problem free, not the point though. Were seeing higher mileage titans go on us now.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts