Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new Titan XD SV last week and didn't notice until I got home that it had 20 inch wheels. Took it for a 300 mile spin through western Maryland and got about 14mpg. Not what I was expecting. I'm not a fan of 20 inch tires and was wonder if the mpg would improve with 17 inch wheels, what it would cost to refit, and would the speedometer have to be changed?

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
149 Posts
Picked up a new Titan XD SV last week and didn't notice until I got home that it had 20 inch wheels. Took it for a 300 mile spin through western Maryland and got about 14mpg. Not what I was expecting. I'm not a fan of 20 inch tires and was wonder if the mpg would improve with 17 inch wheels, what it would cost to refit, and would the speedometer have to be changed?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Your mpg will improve as the engine breaks in. I have about 8000 miles on mine and get 23 mpg hwy driving. And changing the rims won't make a difference because the overall tire diameter will be about the same.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What mpg did yours start with? And don't you think 17 inch wheels would be a lot lighter?

·
404 Posts
16-18mpg for mixed driving is normal. You'll get 20-22mpg if you get on the interstate and reset the mpg

·
1,979 Posts
The bigger question is how did you not know what came on the truck you bought?
What kind of MPG's are you expecting on a vehicle that weights 5k+ ?
Have you ever owned a Diesel ?

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually its not the bigger question. And yes I owned a F250 Diesel for 14 years. And as many have pointed out on this forum they get 17-18 on average and as high as 23. The larger question is why can you not stick to the topic?

·
1,979 Posts
Actually its not the bigger question. And yes I owned a F250 Diesel for 14 years. And as many have pointed out on this forum they get 17-18 on average and as high as 23. The larger question is why can you not stick to the topic?
That was sticking to the topic, I didn't ask for your mother's name.
I just figured there might be a correlation of you obviously not doing any research on what came on your $40k + purchase and what your MPG expectations are.
The mpg difference will be minimal & yes they will have to reflash the computer, if they can even do that. You would have to ask the dealer.

·
348 Posts
Seeing that the S and SV come stock with 17" wheels and the 20s are a package deal, shouldn't require anything special. Won't change mileage enough to offset cost over length of ownership.

·
492 Posts

That was sticking to the topic, I didn't ask for your mother's name.
I just figured there might be a correlation of you obviously not doing any research on what came on your $40k + purchase and what your MPG expectations are.
The mpg difference will be minimal & yes they will have to reflash the computer, if they can even do that. You would have to ask the dealer.
Why would you need to reflash the computer?

·
1,979 Posts
Why would you need to reflash the computer?
Yeah, I'll walk that statement back.As long as the diameter stays the same the computer will still read right. I was thinking of going up or down tire sizes. My Bad....
If he gets all of the different weights of the rims & tires I'm guessing they will be minimally different.

·
492 Posts
Yeah, I'll walk that statement back.As long as the diameter stays the same the computer will still read right. I was thinking of going up or down tire sizes. My Bad....
If he gets all of the different weights of the rims & tires I'm guessing they will be minimally different.
His stock 265/60R20's are 32.5" diameter.

255/75R17 is 32.4" diam

265/75R17 is 32.6" diam

Changing wheel sizes will not gain much if anything at all. You put a lighter wheel on and a heavier tire....overall weight doesn't change much...kind of a wash IMO.
The stock SV 17" wheel is steel, and probably not a lot lighter than the 20" aluminum wheel.

The only advantage would be that the 17" tires are probably cheaper.
The next problem is finding 17" wheels that will fit over the large XD brakes.

·
904 Posts
I agree ... don't think the 17" wheels would make a difference in mpg. The truck as it breaks in will improve fuel economy. My pro4x has 17" wheels and I get roughly 16ish mpg. If you hit the interstate and engage the cruise (at 72) I have hit about 20. Where I live the terrain is rarely flat with a lot of stop n go... Welcome to the party!

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks one and all. I feel much better about sticking with the 20s. I hope you're correct about the increase in mpg as it breaks in. The 7.3 I had in the F250 had its best mileage the first two tanks off the show room floor. Perhaps the Cummings is a different animal.

Thanks again!

·
492 Posts
Thanks one and all. I feel much better about sticking with the 20s. I hope you're correct about the increase in mpg as it breaks in. The 7.3 I had in the F250 had its best mileage the first two tanks off the show room floor. Perhaps the Cummings is a different animal.

Thanks again!
If you're gonna own a Cummins, you just can't call it a CumminGs. People will make fun of you behind your back.
Hope your mileage improves.
Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
My sv came with 20's. Then I put my kmc xd 18"wheels on but kept a similar overall tire size.
Mind you mine has never been as low as 14 mpg regular driving. But no two trucks are the same. I test drove another sv that didn't return the same mpg as the one I bought.
To the OP how often has yours regen? That could be the variance.

·
5 Posts
Very interesting read to say the least. I purchased my Diesel SV (LT265/60R20) two weeks ago and observed the tires were over inflation for about ten days before releasing some of the air (12.3 MPG first tank and 16.3 MPG second tank). After adjusting the air closer to the recommended tire pressure and the MPGs are drastically dropping. Recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

1 - 20 of 22 Posts