Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

2016 5.0 low fuel pressure, now reduced power mode

12K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  harris.chester 
#1 ·
Recently bought a 2016 Titan. Well the low fuel pressure service fuel system warning came on. Replaced both fuel filters and primed system as required. Now it’ll start but it cranks numerous times before it does, the fuel system warning is still on and when i drive it just a few miles the check engine light comes on along with reduced power. Everything I’ve been reading I’ve come to the conclusion it’s a lift pump issue?? I want to order one but 900$ without knowing for sure is a lot. Any ideas?

#3 ·
I went and hooked it up to a machine, there was no code. All it said was to service fuel system. I changed fuel filter under truck, primed 2x then changed fuel filter under hood and primed 2x. Is there something I’m missing? Why would that send it into reduced power mode?

#4 ·
Well for one change lower file filter first then change upper filter, no prime in between. Secondly, I would go out and prime it about 3 or 4 times. I always do mine 4 times then go drive after the last one. I have never in 4 years had your issue.

#6 ·
Well for one change lower file filter first then change upper filter, no prime in between. Secondly, I would go out and prime it about 3 or 4 times. I always do mine 4 times then go drive after the last one. I have never in 4 years had your issue.
okay just went and ran it through the prime process 4x…. Started it and within 200feet the engine power reduced warning came on. Is there a way to reset the warnings?

#9 ·
I used the scanner at autozone and it brought up nothing except maintenance. I’ve been reading that the orings are an issue maybe i should order a couple new ones and try that. What do you usually lube them up with? And can you over tighten them??

#17 ·
If you or someone changed the filters WITHOUT disconnecting both battery negatives, your pump was damaged.
Same thing happened on my 2016 XD. Mine ran for a week before crapping out. Put the new pump in, end of problems.
I read that the 2016 pumps had issues and were easy to damage. The replacement pump was a newer model.

If anyone has a good diesel mechanic in the Los Angeles area please let me know.
Stay away from Top Notch Diesel. About 2 years ago they were great. All the old management is gone.
The new crew is,,, I'd rather not say. Just beware.

Good luck with your truck!

#20 ·
I owned a 2017 XD DIESEL for 179,000 miles. I got the low fuel pressure warning a number of times but it was always because I had less than a 1/4 tank of fuel. If I kept it above a 1/4 tank it never gave me the warning, this happened especially happened between when my miles until empty showed 50-80 miles, I never went under 50 miles because of the warning and I don't like going that low anyways. May not be related to your issue, it's just the experience I had with mine.

#22 ·
Along those lines when i changed my fuel filters I did not prime it enough and got the low fuel pressure warning. After a couple cranks it started and the warning went away.
As someone else had mentioned too I let my fuel range get down to almost 50 miles and I had an instance where I parked my truck in a parking lot with a slight crown and my truck didn’t wanna start due to fuel being almost below the fuel pick up and it ended up taking several tries before it finally caught. Filled it up immediately afterwards.

Fyi if in California Propel makes a biodiesel that is superior to diesel No. 2 has better lubrication, higher cetane, and meets ASTM diesel standard. Truck runs quieter on the biodiesel.

#27 ·
Here’s a little update. Currently had a fass lift pump installed, completely deleted the truck. Ran perfect for 2 days and boom, low fuel pressure light comes back on. I noticed that my battery terminals were very corroded though and i talked to someone that said there battery caused a ton of issues all because of improper connection. So onto the next step lol. Kindve becoming ridiculous at this point

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.