Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this asked on TFLTruck and just had to share it here.

• Could the next generation 2016 Nissan Titan have headlight design language along the lines of what the 2015 Nissan Murano (and other Nissan models) will be getting?
Nissan released this image today of the headlight design for the upcoming 2015 Nissan Murano. They also said that this is a preview of the new design language for other future Nissan production vehicles. Could the next-generation 2016 Nissan Titan show a similar face?

·
608 Posts
That's pretty cool for a truck headlight. Often times trucks have very square and boxy headlights, so this is a good way for Nissan to set itself apart from the other trucks on the market.

·
340 Posts
Doubt it, Titan and Frontier have never followed the Nissan design language particularily closely regardless. No pickup truck ever does. What looks good on Titan does not look so good on the Zed... So on and so forth...

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want to see them apply what they did here to the Titan's headlight, keep the Titan headlight boxy or whatever complements the new design, but add the LED as one of the main things.

·
608 Posts
The LED could definitely be added in. I think that it will still be boxy given what I have seen from spy shots. LEDs would be a good way to update the design though.

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those spy shots aren't the greatest example of what we will see but yes the general idea for the vehicles design will be boxy.

·
608 Posts
I mean there is a little bit of camouflage around the outside so that could be hiding something. I think that it is likely that it will be a boring boxy headlight though. I think that's a missed opportunity.

·
55 Posts
its possible they're still running the mules around in old sheet metal, camo is used to mask the fact the engine bay has been enlarged?

·
340 Posts
I know Ford pulled some funny business with the 2015 F-150. They stamped out the old body in aluminium and were testing 2015 trucks in plain sight... hehhhh

·
608 Posts
I know Ford pulled some funny business with the 2015 F-150. They stamped out the old body in aluminium and were testing 2015 trucks in plain sight... hehhhh
Yea that was a good move on their part. Finally a brand that actually camouflages its vehicles instead of pretending to and hoping that journalists take pictures. There is a chance that Nissan might be doing the same thing. I think it would be a smart move.

·
340 Posts
Yea that was a good move on their part. Finally a brand that actually camouflages its vehicles instead of pretending to and hoping that journalists take pictures. There is a chance that Nissan might be doing the same thing. I think it would be a smart move.
Ford did that before they announced the 2015. Once they announced it mules started to show in conspicuous camo...

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
664 Posts
Having driven through the rocky mountains in the pitch dark, I can tell you, LED headlights are fantastic.

I hope that Nissan will offer either LED headlights, or HID's in the Titan. Pickups headlights have been ignored for far too long. Everyone has a pickup in Northern Canada and they all have terrible headlights. So then you see a number of trucks with ebay HID conversion kits in too high of a color temperature, blinding on coming traffic and increasing their own driver fatigue.

Oh, speaking of driver fatigue, LED > HID in that instant. Even though LEDs still currently have a lower lumen output compared to HIDs, the quality of the light is very relaxing.

·
608 Posts
They have been trying to make trucks more luxurious and a great way to do that would be LEDs. I think that they will at least be offered as a an option on the higher trim levels.

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They have been trying to make trucks more luxurious and a great way to do that would be LEDs. I think that they will at least be offered as a an option on the higher trim levels.
Great feature indeed.
One of my more favorite moves in the truck industry was the use of projector headlights, big step up from just halogen bulbs.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
664 Posts
Infiniti had a fantastic reflector based HID setup in the G35 a decade ago.

I like projectors, my only compaint is the extra layer of optics. Every stage the light passes through means a loss in light output, so a properly designed reflector vs projector, the reflector will have higher light output.

At least with projector LEDs, the diode shines directly into the projector, so there is no reflector losses like halgon/HID. So then one would have to find out which has more loss, reflector or lens.

I ran a quick and dirty test of GE nighthawk LED reflector lamps (~36watt) vs hella 100watt ecode reflectors, both 7" rounds. I didn't write the numbers down so hopefully my memory doesn't let me down too much.

Halogen Low ~6500ft.candles
LED low ~6000ft.candles
Halogen High ~10,000ft. candles
LED High ~11,000 ft.candles.

Both have excellent optics and produce comparable light patterns. LEDs advantage is that both the high and low LEDs are illuminated on highbeam, with significant savings in power drain. The car with the halogens, I installed a dual relay system with heavy wiring. The car with LEDs has stock wiring. Both cars are mid '70s Datsun Z cars. Halogen is a 280z, LED, 240z.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts