Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
88 Posts
Titan XD cummin's engine sounds great! Like a true diesel :) The front end of the Titan looks sweet as well in the video. Not really a fan of yellow though.

·
857 Posts
Great video, this is proabably one of the better videos out there of the diesel 8 titan, giving you a good sense for how it sounds!

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
I think this video and the other startup video make the ISV sound louder than it is. In this video you can easily hear peoples voices over the engine, but without that refrence poiny the engine would sound very loud.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Is there not ways to dampen the engine noise a bit? Would different exhaust options help it out?

Thanks
The noise/rattle is something that is related to the way diesel fuel burns.

In a gasoline engine, the fuel is either fully vaporized or very close to fully vaporized at ignition, this means the flame front expands at a consistent rate.

Computer modeling can get close, but there is always a random element with diesel fuel. When injected, the fuel is atomized but is still in liquid form. These atomized droplets then vaporize and combust, but there is no way to predict how the flame front will progress and what will vaporize first.

Remember, it's not the liquid fuel that burns, it's the vaporized fuel that burns.

So this is where the characteristic diesel knock comes from, the uncontrolled portion of combustion. Multiple injection events, higher injection pressures and thus finer atomization help to alleviate this. Modern design logic to dampen the noise have made significant strides in the noise levels of diesel engines as well. My guess is that the ISV will be at least as quiet at idle as the 6.7L powerstroke and possibly as quiet as the v6 TDI in the Audi A6.

·
313 Posts
Modern diesels are remarkably quiet. Especially in the luxury marques. Think it was Mercedes that was even talking about their "active" engine mounts that compensated for vibration.

But in the truck market, I suspect a certain amount of diesel clatter/rumble is wanted just to say "This is a diesel". Like some insist on buying a V8 gasser just for the sound.

Pretty sure you can tell there's a diesel under that Titan XD hood. I like the sound myself.

People sometimes complain about the diesel stink. But that also is ancient history with all the EPA emissions controls in place.

These aren't the same diesels as 10 years ago.

Reactions: TurboDiesel

·
857 Posts
Modern diesels are remarkably quiet. Especially in the luxury marques. Think it was Mercedes that was even talking about their "active" engine mounts that compensated for vibration.

But in the truck market, I suspect a certain amount of diesel clatter/rumble is wanted just to say "This is a diesel". Like some insist on buying a V8 gasser just for the sound.

Pretty sure you can tell there's a diesel under that Titan XD hood. I like the sound myself.

People sometimes complain about the diesel stink. But that also is ancient history with all the EPA emissions controls in place.

These aren't the same diesels as 10 years ago.
Good point and that's a good example of a situation where diesel noise helps, it helps to further define what the vehicle is.

·
313 Posts
Good point and that's a good example of a situation where diesel noise helps, it helps to further define what the vehicle is.
But then there's the new F150s.

The (high-end?) EcoBoost V6's actually have V8 sounds played in the cabin. :devil:

Reactions: TurboDiesel

·
13 Posts
I'm definitely going to be one of those guys pulling for a dpf/def/egr delete kit and tune. I love the sound of a good ol' diesel.

·
11 Posts
Only at start up it sounds like a diesel ,there is another video on YT that shows it running at operating temps and it sounds like a big block gas engine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts