Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

2016 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Diesel - Really wanted to love this truck

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  NavyCuda 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
The reason Nissan and Cummins stopped producing the ISV is because it was marketed poorly and did not sell. That blame is squarely on Nissan, as the ISV5.0 is the most advanced and capable turbo diesel put into a modern pickup truck. The Titan XD is basically a modest one-ton, it is massively over built for what it is. Nissan got cold feet and sold it as a 1/2ton instead of going up against the big three like they should have in the first place.

Blaming Nissan and Cummins for a problem you have with a used truck that you don't know the history of is a way of deflecting responsibility from yourself. You did not adequately research the vehicle you were purchasing. You did not adequate consider the nature of your use case and now you're paying the price for that.

What you have is called the used-car-blues. Don't blame the truck. Every used vehicle is a roll of the dice. Maybe the wrong oil was used and the bearing was hammered out? Maybe it didn't get regular oil changes? Maybe the previous owner didn't understand that it's an over square diesel and spent too much time at low rpm and high torque?

I'm sorry if this dose of reality hurts, but if you get over it, spend the money and do a good job on putting your truck back together, take some pride in your work, you might find you'll come to like what Nissan and Cummins built.

#4 ·
This truck blew a rod at 35,000 miles. I bought it less than a year ago at 28k miles. I purchased it naively not really understanding its history, was just looking for something that can pull a boat a couple of times a month. (In hindsight I should have just stuck with gas in general) I was thinking it was a Cummins diesel (quality). Yet, even after learning of all it's shortcomings, I stuck with it thinking I a "delete" would at least overcome the emissions prematurely ruining a "good" engine. Turns out the engine wasn't good all on it's own and am having to put a used engine into the truck to get it up and running again. My mechanic called Nissan to inquire about a new engine... they said it would be $24k. He asked if they actually sell any of these to which the manufacture said no... assuming they are used for warranty work. The frustration I have with this is I will have to pay 14k to put a used engine in it with almost double the miles the truck has on it already, but stuck putting the same poor quality Cummins in it and run the risk again. I can now see why Cummins and Nissan washed their hands of this truck, but WOW it hurts to be on the blind consumer side of their bad engineering. Have others had experience with this and had any luck with appealing to Nissan? Or is there any year of this engine that I should be looking to replace it with.. or are they all about the same. Thanks for any help/thoughts. I don't think I can ever own a Nissan or Cummins again.
Sucks to hear man but you should have honestly did your research. I own a 2018, I wouldn’t touch a 16 or 17 with a 10’ stick lol.

#5 ·
This truck blew a rod at 35,000 miles. I bought it less than a year ago at 28k miles. I purchased it naively not really understanding its history, was just looking for something that can pull a boat a couple of times a month. (In hindsight I should have just stuck with gas in general) I was thinking it was a Cummins diesel (quality). Yet, even after learning of all it's shortcomings, I stuck with it thinking I a "delete" would at least overcome the emissions prematurely ruining a "good" engine. Turns out the engine wasn't good all on it's own and am having to put a used engine into the truck to get it up and running again. My mechanic called Nissan to inquire about a new engine... they said it would be $24k. He asked if they actually sell any of these to which the manufacture said no... assuming they are used for warranty work. The frustration I have with this is I will have to pay 14k to put a used engine in it with almost double the miles the truck has on it already, but stuck putting the same poor quality Cummins in it and run the risk again. I can now see why Cummins and Nissan washed their hands of this truck, but WOW it hurts to be on the blind consumer side of their bad engineering. Have others had experience with this and had any luck with appealing to Nissan? Or is there any year of this engine that I should be looking to replace it with.. or are they all about the same. Thanks for any help/thoughts. I don't think I can ever own a Nissan or Cummins again.
I understand your point quite well since I just had a fuel injection harness failure after 5.5 years of use and towing. When you buy a pickup with a cummins which is a global engine builder you have to cover your truck with some kind of warranty as long as you own it. Other than class 8 trucks Cummins, Cat, Detroit Diesel had off all responsability to the vehicle manufacturer. Whatever that is is negotiated at meetings long before you and I get the truck. Ford and GM are different....the chain of command for warranty and out of warranty consideration could be different. The previous thread is spot on. Nissan dangled a carrot and pulled it back. Did Nissan hang us out to dry???? They did and I also think that was the plan from day one if they couldn't get the sales. Is the Titan xd a bad truck..... not at all. I tow all the time with a 5th wheel and also made private moves with very heavy units (when pin box and my bed length were correct) and what a pleasure to tow with heavy units. I am going to use it for the next year for a very long tow to the west coast. I think the point here is if you have a diesel....never never go without a warranty.

#8 ·
Worse is the idea of letting a dealership mechanic work on your truck under warranty. Most techs hate warranty jobs because Nissan short changes them on time. They tend to just follow the book, even if they are the diesel mechanic. I was watching someone's Titan XD get worked on and the tech didn't even know where the high pressure turbo was, or that he had even removed it.

I think most people seem to ignore the fact that a Cummins Turbo Diesel is an industrial engine. They're not cheap to keep in service.

#9 ·
While sales played a part in dropping the Cummins there was more to it than just that. The second generation of the Titan with a diesel and trying to become a player in the truck market in North America was the vision of Carlos Ghosn. With his arrest in late 2018 and removal as chairman of Nissan for financial misconduct that vision died. The new executives had a different vision that included moving towards electric vehicles and discontinuing the commercial lineup. So the Cummins was dropped from the Titan in 2019, selling of the Titan was dropped in Canada and the NV lineup was discontinued. The fact that they are still selling Titans in the US is somewhat surprising.

#10 ·
The new executives had a different vision that included moving towards electric vehicles and discontinuing the commercial lineup.
Definitely. The new Ariya (and beyond) is where they want to head. I think they started making more money on the trucks (both regular Titan and XD) when the pandemic supply chain issue arose and demand outstripped supply and prices went through the roof. So why not ride that supply chain and investment in tooling for a bit longer?

I can't imagine they were making any money on the Cummins model--certainly not in 16 or 17 when the discounts were so high. It was insane. I couldn't have bought a moderately equipped F150 for what I paid for my 2016 SL with the Cummins. The prices now for the gas V-8 are insane. They must be making money even at low volumes. So as long as that lasts, heck, I expect them to keep selling it as the investment is already made. It is still a good option for a lot of people and the 5.6 V-8 is a longstanding good engine.

The diesel XD was Fred Diaz's baby (with Ghosn backing). Well, Fred split for the CEO job at Mitsubishi in 2017-2018, got canned from there in 2020 and now serves as a board director for a few companies (easier gig than running one.) Ghosn had to be spirited out of Japan--in a box no less-- in a clandestine operation to escape from house arrest. Interpol has a warrant out for his arrest but Lebanon won't play nice and hand him over. So, yes the XD visionaries have moved on so to speak!! ;)

#11 · (Edited)
The 5.0 needed serious repairs since the onset and good cash was spent toward warranty claims. Beside new info learned here by realboard's statement. I'd reason the new VIPs, and not the original as always thought by many owners and observers alike, foreseen the new model XD trk as a lemon colored Edsel that they inherited to correct issues with.

Just as other major players manufacturing vehicles, Nissan would rather go under than admit their diesel had design flaws. By logic, they are guilty for knowingly throwing the vehicle on the market for whatever irresponsible reason. Doing otherwise would negatively stigmatize the company as builders of cheap, cut corners and slapped together unreliable vehicles. Total redesign of the motor was obviously needed as all motors with crankshaft issue were scrapped for new motors, and crankshaft replacement was not sufficient for resolution of issue. A crankshaft issue correction and replacement is less cost than new motor replacement. Or could the block's redesign been an unwanted financial issue, or not.

Was the necessary 5.0 redesign the real reason why the new VIP's dropped the 5.0 like a hot potato. Nissan executives cut XD diesel motor loses before it became a concerned issue on their balance sheet. XD's R&D necessary to put the diesel engine right must have been unfeasible, the diesel option for trk was abandoned. Excluding the VIP change up, that was the popular rumor for the downfall of Nissan's 5.0 Titan XD. The news rpts are still seen as a coverup for poor research and design of the motor, and a method (lie) used by Nissan and Cummings to save face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.