Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ran across a few articles talking about the Toyota Tundra having the same 5.0 V8 Cummins turbo diesel as the Titan.

The article says 300hp, 500ft lbs, 30mpg $38k
Any truth to this?

http://suvntrucks.com/2016-toyota-tundra-diesel-review/

http://toyotausanews.com/2016-toyota-tundra-diesel-news-price/

If this is true that should impact truck sales in a lot of ways for the big 3 as well as Nissan and Toyota.

From what I can tell the Toyota is Not going to get a big makeover or major overhaul like the Titan XD is getting. I didn't see anything about the Tundras towing capabilities either.

Anyone know any facts?

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
I know toyota talked about using the ISV but I don't know if they set it in stone yet.

Toyota also has a 4.5L turbo diesel V8 of their own.

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That diesel is in one of their luxury brand vehicles isn't it? Maybe they'll have 2 diesel options...

·
313 Posts
There's was some talk of Toyota using the 5L Cummins a couple of years ago when Nissan announced its intentions.
Since then absolutely nothing from Toyota. But of course lots from Nissan.
These articles sound like pure idle B.S. to me.

·
94 Posts
There's was some talk of Toyota using the 5L Cummins a couple of years ago when Nissan announced its intentions.
Since then absolutely nothing from Toyota. But of course lots from Nissan.
These articles sound like pure idle B.S. to me.
The new Tundra has a boxed frame up front. Could indicate the intention of adding a larger engine option later in the generation. They are probably waiting to see if the Titan works out before committing to the Cummins engine.

·
857 Posts
A next step i'd like to see them go in is to get a dually but that seems far out, although there was a concept at some point that seemed to have hinted to a future with a Toyota dually.

At this point it just seems like Toyota only wants to keep up enough with the segment and not push for anything too crazy.

·
857 Posts
At one point they had a concept followed by information that gave some hope in what it has being trickled down to production. I'd just wait through the number of shows coming up to see what they have officially planned... that's if we hear about it during that period.

·
8 Posts
WOW, toyota! What a copycat of a nissan truck. Nissan is the forefront of innovations with the first 5/8 truck. The rest of the brands are just here to follow. Nissan got the 5/8 truck segment rolling.

·
51 Posts
From what I understood Toyota was in the running along with Nissan for this Cummins 5.0 and it was Cummins decision to go with Nissan instead of Toyota.

·
363 Posts
I never heard the 5L was a Nissan exclusive and even read articles suggesting the opposite. It would be different if Nissan had a joint venture investment in the 5L but we know it isn't the case. Cummins would love to manufacture and sell a bunch of these engines.

·
665 Posts
If Nissan ends up selling lots of Titan XDs right away, if it's a hit, there is nothing to stop them from trying to renegotiate with Cummins.

·
44 Posts
I waited and waited and waited to see info about the Tundra diesel. Nothing. I even asked at a Toyota dealership and the guy there said, " Toyota will never build a Tundra diesel for North America." I hope he is wrong.... This XD is what I am looking for.

Now, if we can only get some prices and dealer stock.....

I am sooo pumped to see what this truck has to offer. Some people are pumped about Star Wars..I cannot wait to see this truck!

·
363 Posts
A few years back Toyota said no to US diesels but I wouldn't be surprised if that change as the competition adds more diesel pickup options. It would make sense to add the diesel along with the 2017 Tundra redesign.

·
363 Posts
If Nissan ends up selling lots of Titan XDs right away, if it's a hit, there is nothing to stop them from trying to renegotiate with Cummins.
It seems Nissan has a good relationship with Cummins but there's at least a couple of reasons Nissan has no negotiating power. Nissan's Titan is a very low volume pickup and the XD is only intended to fill a small consumer segment.

·
665 Posts
It seems Nissan has a good relationship with Cummins but there's at least a couple of reasons Nissan has no negotiating power. Nissan's Titan is a very low volume pickup and the XD is only intended to fill a small consumer segment.
If they sell the 100,000 units they're hoping to, that will give them negotiating power.

·
169 Posts
There's no such thing as a Tundra diesel, at this point I would be surprised if one comes. And highly doubtful it would have the ISV.

WOW, toyota! What a copycat of a nissan truck. Nissan is the forefront of innovations with the first 5/8 truck. The rest of the brands are just here to follow. Nissan got the 5/8 truck segment rolling.
And which brands, exactly, are following to this "5/8" truck you speak of?

Ram ain't. GM ain't. Ford ain't. They already make "8/8" trucks to use your terms, they have zero interest in dropping to a 'tweener regardless of how well the XD does or does not do. So.....who? Toyota? I've seen nothing to substantiate that claim.

From what I understood Toyota was in the running along with Nissan for this Cummins 5.0 and it was Cummins decision to go with Nissan instead of Toyota.
Nope. The ISV was developed for Ram 1500 solely. Fred Diaz was head of Ram trucks when the 5.0L underwent testing and development and certification and all that jazz. It was done, ready for production, it was coming (some '09 1500's even had the belt routing sticker already on the core support, with an obvious 5.0L diagram. Except....Chrysler didn't have a 5.0L anything, but Cummins sure did), and then the economy took a dump. Fiat purchased Chrysler, ditched the contract with Cummins for the ISV, and went in-house to their own subsidiary VM Motori and the 3.0L V6 we now know as the EcoDiesel.

Cummins didn't have a partner. They had this nice shiny new engine ready to go and didn't have a girl to dance with in the pickup truck segment. Fred Diaz quit Ram and became the head of Nissan trucks; I would imagine the ISV Ram 1500 was his baby, at least partially, and when he saw it wasn't going to happen he was miffed and tested the waters for interest. Nissan said "yeah, we'd be interested in this diesel" and he made the jump. Just about overnight (in the business world) the deal was done and it was announced.

THAT'S how that played out. So if you're a Titan fan, send your Thank You notes to Nissan, care of Fred Diaz, because he's the man that made it happen with Cummins.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts