Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Making and appearance at the New York show was the Titan XD gasoline variant in all its money saving glory. We expected the XD designation to be for diesels only but Nissan surprised us with another heavy-duty half-ton XD option at the show.

That’s right, this Titan XD variant is sporting a specially tuned 5.6-liter Endurance V-8 gasoline engine under the hood with an MSRP of $35,290 for the base trim level ($5,000 less than the diesel) and going up to $55,520 for the Platinum Reserve Crew Cab 4x4 trim. Not included is the destination and handling charge of $1,195. Overall, you’ll have a choice of five trim levels and each trim will come with both 4x4 and 4x2 drivetrains.

For the price, you’ll be getting an engine that’s rated at 390 horsepower at 5,800 rpm and 401 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm. An improvement over the previous gen’s Titan V8 which had an output of 317 hp and 385 lb-ft of torque. Thanks to a new piston design, the new engine’s compression ratio is 11.2:1 for improved output and efficiency.

As for the exterior design, the gasoline Titan XD will look almost identical to its diesel brother except for a few small changes. Those Cummins Turbodiesel badges on the front fenders will be replaced with V8 Endurance ones and the exhaust tips will be a bit smaller. That’s pretty much it. Even the advanced technology and safety offerings for the Titan XD diesel will be made available for the gasoline version.

If you want to read the full release, make your way to Nissan’s Official Media Newsroom.

·
608 Posts
Its not really a surprise that it is cheaper than the diesel though. We always knew the diesel was the top of the line. Everything else should be cheaper than it.

·
348 Posts
Right now, there are dealers in central FL that are discounting the diesels $5,000. So this is going to be interesting when the gasseers hit. it will probably be 3 months or so before they really start to discount them too.

·
658 Posts
Right now, there are dealers in central FL that are discounting the diesels $5,000. So this is going to be interesting when the gasseers hit. it will probably be 3 months or so before they really start to discount them too.
Yeah, a quick search on cars.com using the "unlimited miles from my location" function and sorting from cheapest first, reveals that in FL some dealers are discounting some SV models by almost $7,000. One of the same dealers has an SL model discounted to almost $8,000 below MSRP.....

a link to the dealers website showing more than $8,000 on some models
http://www.lokeynissan.com/new-inve...ce,city:state&suppressAllConditions=compliant

·
348 Posts
Some of those higher ones listed are "qualifying discounts" like ex military, student, etc. A quick call to the dealer to ask what the discount qualifications are will separate the real dealers from the game players.

·
658 Posts
Some of those higher ones listed are "qualifying discounts" like ex military, student, etc. A quick call to the dealer to ask what the discount qualifications are will separate the real dealers from the game players.
Maybe so, but it proves your point on things getting interesting when the gas models hit..

I loved my '09 Titan, but really the reason I bought it over the offerings from the big 3 is that it offered the most bang for the buck. In my eyes the value was outstanding. The XD and Non-XD Titans have to get there too. Maybe this is the start.

·
169 Posts
390/401. Hasn't that 5.6 been rated that for a good number of years?

It may have been peppy in the old-gen, but the XD is packing some pretty significant heft.

That says 317/385 but that doesn't sound right, does it?

·
15 Posts
In Nissan applications, it has not been rated over the 317/385 before this version. The same displacement in the QX80 is 400/413 and I imagine it has similar technology as it such as direct injection that the Titan hasn't had in the past. Basically the next-gen Endurance. I expect the slightly lower figures in the Nissan vs. the Infiniti is a result of a flatter torque curve for towing, but that's 100% speculation.

·
169 Posts
Interesting. For years I've thought they were right up there with the Ram 1500 in the 390hp range.

Must be Toyota I'm thinking of? Anyway, thanks David, news to me.

·
430 Posts
Interesting. For years I've thought they were right up there with the Ram 1500 in the 390hp range.

Must be Toyota I'm thinking of? Anyway, thanks David, news to me.
The 5.6 has done well against the others even though it had lower numbers. An efficient drive train, lower weight, and lower gearing all contribute to this.

·
56 Posts

It may have been peppy in the old-gen, but the XD is packing some pretty significant heft.

There's a 0-60 gas XD vid floating around that's almost non believable (it's quick!)

·
1,979 Posts
In Nissan applications, it has not been rated over the 317/385 before this version. The same displacement in the QX80 is 400/413 and I imagine it has similar technology as it such as direct injection that the Titan hasn't had in the past. Basically the next-gen Endurance. I expect the slightly lower figures in the Nissan vs. the Infiniti is a result of a flatter torque curve for towing, but that's 100% speculation.
The Q's are programmed to run on 91 minimum, that's where the extra HP comes from.

·
575 Posts

317 hp is for the old Titan
390 hp is for the new Titan
401 hp is for the QX-80 with premium

The Titan/Armadas will be stronger, though since they are getting a 3.55 or so ratio instead of the ultra tall 2.94 in the QX-80.

·
56 Posts
317 hp is for the old Titan
390 hp is for the new Titan
401 hp is for the QX-80 with premium

The Titan/Armadas will be stronger, though since they are getting a 3.55 or so ratio instead of the ultra tall 2.94 in the QX-80.
You forgot the old old Titan with 305 hp hehe.

The 2.94 isn't as bad as one would think because of the steep tranny gearing in the first few gears with the 7 speed. Hopefully Nissan gives us a few different rear-end gearing choices.

·
1,979 Posts
You forgot the old old Titan with 305 hp hehe.

The 2.94 isn't as bad as one would think because of the steep tranny gearing in the first few gears with the 7 speed. Hopefully Nissan gives us a few different rear-end gearing choices.
That would be nice but since the XD only comes with 1 ratio I would imagine the gasser will be the same.

·
575 Posts
@shea nut : the first 2 gears of the 7 speed are close to that of the 6r80 from what I saw. The transmission ratios were hard fo find for that.

·
56 Posts
@shea nut : the first 2 gears of the 7 speed are close to that of the 6r80 from what I saw. The transmission ratios were hard fo find for that.
The 6r80 and the gen 1 Titan 5 speed are almost identical with a slightly lower first for the Ford and the obvious higher extra 6th over drive.

6r80
1) 4.17
2) 2.34
3) 1.52
4) 1.14
5) .86
6) .69

Titan 5 speed
1) 3.83
2) 2.37
3) 1.52
4) 1.00
5) .83

Titan 7 speed
1) 4.89
2) 3.17
3) 2.03
4) 1.41
5) 1.00
6) .86
7) .78

The GM 8speed has a 4.56/2.97 1st and 2nd and the Ram 8speed has a 4.71/3.14 1st and 2nd.

The Nissan 7 speed is going to get off the line like a bat at of **** and the 2.03 3rd should really help it towing hills.

The f150 5.0 pulled the Ike gauntlet in 2nd gear at 5500 rpm the whole way...I can see the regular Titan pulling that mountain in 3rd at 4000rpm.

The 7speed does have a pretty big gap between 4th and 5th gear though. I wish that was tightened up some for flat hwy towing.

·
38 Posts
Mine had 317 stock and i installed long tube headers,cold air intake and UPREV program and it ran like a raped ape. Cant wait to feel the 390.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts