Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2017 Titan XD P4X Gas
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I take off from a stop light or something with average acceleration, without lifting on the gas pedal, the first or 2nd shift will drop the engine to around 1200 RPM and feel like it almost stops accelerating. I usually compensate with slightly more gas pedal but I have to really stomp on it, then when it finally responds with a downshift, it hits 3-4k RPMs completely unnecessarily and takes off like a rocket.

Anyone else experience this? Just seems like it's in hyper-eco mode all the time. Been trying to catch it on video but always miss it.

·
856 Posts
Sometimes when I take off from a stop light or something with average acceleration, without lifting on the gas pedal, the first or 2nd shift will drop the engine to around 1200 RPM and feel like it almost stops accelerating. I usually compensate with slightly more gas pedal but I have to really stomp on it, then when it finally responds with a downshift, it hits 3-4k RPMs completely unnecessarily and takes off like a rocket.

Anyone else experience this? Just seems like it's in hyper-eco mode all the time. Been trying to catch it on video but always miss it.
There is a few TCM updates that should help or completely correct that issue. Go to the dealer.

·
2017 Titan XD P4X Gas
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you! Searching about the TCM flash led me to some older threads with great info. I don't know if my 2017 has already been reflashed or not, I just bought it 2 months ago, but I'm really glad it's a known issue and not just me being hyper-critical.
Found someone who caught it on video in their Armada. Not sure if my problem is identical, but close

Sounds like this is the TSB
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10119237-9999.pdf
NTB17-016c
My carfax says mine was built 6/2017 so must have just missed this fix.

I'll probably drop it off with the dealer tomorrow. Is there a way to check all TSBs for a model year? Also just learned about a rear passenger door seal issue causing excessive wind noise and I've been wondering what that noise from the rear passenger door is for weeks!!!

·
52 Posts
Thank you! Searching about the TCM flash led me to some older threads with great info. I don't know if my 2017 has already been reflashed or not, I just bought it 2 months ago, but I'm really glad it's a known issue and not just me being hyper-critical.
Found someone who caught it on video in their Armada. Not sure if my problem is identical, but close

Sounds like this is the TSB
[/URL]
NTB17-016c
My carfax says mine was built 6/2017 so must have just missed this fix.

I'll probably drop it off with the dealer tomorrow. Is there a way to check all TSBs for a model year? Also just learned about a rear passenger door seal issue causing excessive wind noise and I've been wondering what that noise from the rear passenger door is for weeks!!!
I’ve had the same problem since I bought mine 2 years ago. I have a gasser 16 pro4x. I’ve brought it to the dealer twice and both times they just dismissed me and said that’s how it drives.

I also brought it to a transmission shop telling them I had a very good warranty to encourage them to try to find the issue. They said they couldn’t find any problems.

Anyone know if this “flash” is for diesels, gas, or both?

·
7 Posts
There is a few TCM updates that should help or completely correct that issue. Go to the dealer.
I have the exact same issue. When it hits 3rd gear with light pedal the truck nearly chokes.. sometimes feels like it might die. I took it to the dealer and mentioned the TCM.. they looked at me like a deer in headlights. Needless to say, still the same issue. Might have to change dealers. Can an independent do this update?

·
2017 Titan XD P4X Gas
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve had the same problem since I bought mine 2 years ago. I have a gasser 16 pro4x. I’ve brought it to the dealer twice and both times they just dismissed me and said that’s how it drives.

I also brought it to a transmission shop telling them I had a very good warranty to encourage them to try to find the issue. They said they couldn’t find any problems.

Anyone know if this “flash” is for diesels, gas, or both?
It's for the gasser, also applies to the Armada with the same engine/trans. I haven't made it to the dealer yet, but here is the TSB - print it out and bring it in:

The TSB has the instructions to flash the TCM with a CONSULT-III plus tool (Nissan diagnostic tool). If your independent transmission shop has a CONSULT-III plus, they should be able to do it. Don't know how you get it covered under warranty though.

·
52 Posts
It's for the gasser, also applies to the Armada with the same engine/trans. I haven't made it to the dealer yet, but here is the TSB - print it out and bring it in:

The TSB has the instructions to flash the TCM with a CONSULT-III plus tool (Nissan diagnostic tool). If your independent transmission shop has a CONSULT-III plus, they should be able to do it. Don't know how you get it covered under warranty though.
holy crap, this is great! Thanks for the link!!!

I bought mine used at a Toyota dealership. My warranty is through Toyota. It’s bumper to bumper for another year or two. Maybe they won’t cover it but my understanding is they cover pretty much anything.

·
7 Posts
holy crap, this is great! Thanks for the link!!!

I bought mine used at a Toyota dealership. My warranty is through Toyota. It’s bumper to bumper for another year or two. Maybe they won’t cover it but my understanding is they cover pretty much anything.
I'm gonna print this out and make them prove it was done. I paid a grip for the extra nissan warranty until 120k miles so they better get it covered.

·
856 Posts
I'm gonna print this out and make them prove it was done. I paid a grip for the extra nissan warranty until 120k miles so they better get it covered.
I’ve found that if your service advisor sucks, find a technician to talk to. Sometimes that disconnect between the desk jockeys and the actual mechanic is vast.

·
23 Posts
I had the same issue and was really unhappy with the truck when I first got it. I first brought it in to the local dealer in Santa Rosa CA and they were completely un-helpful. Then the Covid slow down hit, I went back in and said I had a minor oil leak and the transmission issue and they needed stuff for the techs to do. New upper oil pan gaskets and tranmission recall done with no complaints. I would say the TSB solves 80% of the issue. The idrive solved the rest of the driveability issue for me. Kickdown in gears isn't as dramatic and it doesn't try to get to overdrive as quickly at low speeds.

·
2020 Titan XD Plat. Res.
9 Posts
I had this problem with my 2017 SL from day one and it got worse over the years. Even my wife complained that the thing would not accelerate on the rare occasions when she drove it. I complained to my Nissan dealer service department constantly with no effect--they are complete morons.

Finally, I traded it in on a 2020 PR from another dealer that is pretty far away (internet buy with them delivering it and taking the old truck). The new transmission is the best! This truck behaves like the XD should. It also has a number of improvements that make the ride and handling much better than the '17. This one is a pleasure to drive in all conditions.

·
7 Posts
I had the same issue and was really unhappy with the truck when I first got it. I first brought it in to the local dealer in Santa Rosa CA and they were completely un-helpful. Then the Covid slow down hit, I went back in and said I had a minor oil leak and the transmission issue and they needed stuff for the techs to do. New upper oil pan gaskets and tranmission recall done with no complaints. I would say the TSB solves 80% of the issue. The idrive solved the rest of the driveability issue for me. Kickdown in gears isn't as dramatic and it doesn't try to get to overdrive as quickly at low speeds.
What is idrive?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts