Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
363 Posts
Nissan may be trying to widen their self defined tweener space by lowering their half ton max tow rating (9390lbs). As a comparison, other half ton max tows are up to 12k lbs.

·
157 Posts
But the "other half to max tows" require upgrades to drive train, frame, and suspension. Nissan does this too, and called it the Titan XD

·
26 Posts
Yeah FORD, GMC, DODGE calls it an actual 2500 or 250
There really is no place for the XD diesel amongst the big 3.
The truck deserves to be derated.
NISSAN needed this truck to be a hit and they struck out based off of the unorganized release of an untested product.
After owning XD since APRIL I can honestly say it has been a waste of 3 months of my life.

·
658 Posts
HTML:
Nissan may be trying to widen their self defined tweener space by lowering their half ton max tow rating (9390lbs). As a comparison, other half ton max tows are up to 12k lbs.
If max tow rating is 9,390 lbs, I would assume that's on the base S model. Probably means that the PR is like 7,500 lbs max....

·
363 Posts
But the "other half to max tows" require upgrades to drive train, frame, and suspension. Nissan does this too, and called it the Titan XD
We're talking half tons to half tons. There's no way around it. They all require max towing configurations and drive trains. Again, the difference is the half ton Titan substantially "falls short."

Nissan's "fall short" modus operandi is getting to be the norm with their newly designed pickup line. If Nissan ever builds the diesel Frontier it too will likely be spec'd into mediocrity and that just plain sucks.

·
1,979 Posts
HTML:
If max tow rating is 9,390 lbs, I would assume that's on the base S model. Probably means that the PR is like 7,500 lbs max....
Doubtful it will drop that much, the 1st Gens are 7500 non BT, 9300 with BT regardless of which trim you get.
I understand they don't want the 1/2 ton to step on the toes of the XD but I would imagine they won't completely tank the numbers.
Nissan is strange, though....

·
573 Posts
The tow rating is just fine for this size truck. 8k lbs is plenty. Whats alarming is the 1600 lbs payload. Here we go again. It sounds like alot, but that may be for a V6 S trim 2x4. What will a V8 PR 4x4 get? 1100 lbs? Even the Ridgeline gets 1500 lbs payload...

·
348 Posts
Published ratings are just that, published. My 04 titan CC XE was only rated for 6500 lbs. towing, but it did it with confidence. In my profession, electricity, we design circuits for x amount of current, rate it, then limit that circuit to 80% of rating for safety. I think Nissan uses the "safety factor" in all their ratings. Anyone, and everyone on this forum it seems, that has owned a previous Titan or a new XD says that the trucks handled the loads graciously. I know my 04 towed 5000+ lbs. no problem. Handled a yard of limerock, no problem. Who actually decides the limits? I would rather tow 10,000 lbs. with a truck rated for 11,000 and handles it comfortably and with confidence than one rated for 12,000 and be squirrelly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts