Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there - I have a 2018 Titan SL Crew Cab with 47,000 pampered miles. I bought it into the dealership for scheduled oil change last week and told them my transmission was slipping very slightly in reverse. They informed me that the transmission needs to be replaced, and I also need a new short block due to an engine knock.

I am in shock since I take such good care of this vehicle. Does anyone know the cause of these failures? Defective parts? Poor engineering? Both?

Now I am concerned that the engine and transmission will fail again after my 5-year manufacturer warranty expires and the dealership 12 month 12,00 miles on the repair. Has anyone had any experience with this issue and has it happened again afterward? I was planning on keeping this truck 10 years... Not sure I have the faith to keep it with possible $15K engine and transmission repair looming in the future.

If anyone has any recommendations from their personal experience with this I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
GC

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was there anything in the behaviour of the truck that made you think something was wrong when you dropped it off?
Never heard the engine knocking - Only a pause and slight jolt on recent shifts into reverse. Went in for oil change and was going to have tranny fluid replaced for 50K service interval thinking that was the cause. There is no transmission dipstick on this engine so you can't check the fluid level. When I explained the issue to the service tech - he had them run diagnostic codes which identified the issues.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
1,026 Posts
Never heard the engine knocking - Only a pause and slight jolt on recent shifts into reverse. Went in for oil change and was going to have tranny fluid replaced for 50K service interval thinking that was the cause. There is no transmission dipstick on this engine so you can't check the fluid level. When I explained the issue to the service tech - he had them run diagnostic codes which identified the issues.
There is but it’s well hidden.

That jolt is fairly normal behaviour for these trucks. Unless you trust your dealership, I’d look at a second opinion just to be sure.

Something doesn’t sound right.

·
506 Posts
Lol the dipstick is behind air intake tube

·
4 Posts
I have a 2017 Titan XD gasser. It is at 55k miles, and I have had no powertrain issues. Previously I have had three other Titans over the years: a 2004 model with 170k miles, 2006 model with 100k miles, 2007 model with 160k miles. All had treated me well for the time I owned them, and none had powertrain issues. Obviously I have confidence in the brand since I keep buying them. I cannot say anything about the diesels as I have zero experience with those models.

·
104 Posts
Hey there - I have a 2018 Titan SL Crew Cab with 47,000 pampered miles. I bought it into the dealership for scheduled oil change last week and told them my transmission was slipping very slightly in reverse. They informed me that the transmission needs to be replaced, and I also need a new short block due to an engine knock.

I am in shock since I take such good care of this vehicle. Does anyone know the cause of these failures? Defective parts? Poor engineering? Both?

Now I am concerned that the engine and transmission will fail again after my 5-year manufacturer warranty expires and the dealership 12 month 12,00 miles on the repair. Has anyone had any experience with this issue and has it happened again afterward? I was planning on keeping this truck 10 years... Not sure I have the faith to keep it with possible $15K engine and transmission repair looming in the future.

If anyone has any recommendations from their personal experience with this I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
GC
Definitely go get another opinion. Don't tell them what the other dealer told you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts