Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, so I have a 2020 XD P4X.
I been towing my toy hauler which weighs 8700 lbs dry. It is equipped with WDH and Sway control bar.
Loaded down with my toys and some water and gear I estimate it at around 11k lbs.
I noticed that the front end get a little light on certain turns at speed and makes it slightly unstable.
I’m wondering if an airbag system will fix that issue.
Does anyone else have any suggestions or experience?

Attachments

·
21 Posts
I pull an 8000 lb travel trailer, and had that exact same light front end feeling before I had my weight distributing hitch properly adjusted. You need to transfer more weight to the front end of the truck with the WD hitch. A CAT scale will be the best way to make sure you got it right, but there are more basic ways to measure using the front wheel gap.

I do have air bags as well, but that really just helps to reduce squat and keep the headlights where they should be.

·
‘19 SV 4x4 5.7 “Big Bertha”
55 Posts
You’re going to get a lot “yes, they will help” comments but the facts are airbags aren’t gonna shift a significant amount of weight to your front wheels. Not like a properly setup WD hitch. I’d start with making sure that the hitch is setup properly and that the torsion bars are rated above 10,000 lbs (typical rating). I’d also consider the Roadmaster Active Suspension kits. More expensive but much simpler to install and maintain.

·
108 Posts
You’re going to get a lot “yes, they will help” comments but the facts are airbags aren’t gonna shift a significant amount of weight to your front wheels. Not like a properly setup WD hitch. I’d start with making sure that the hitch is setup properly and that the torsion bars are rated above 10,000 lbs (typical rating). I’d also consider the Roadmaster Active Suspension kits. More expensive but much simpler to install and maintain.
Sorry I beg to differ.

my trailer setup with the properly set up wdh towed great. Not light on front end at all. Added bags & raised truck up as I wanted via amount of air & towed a lot better.

my2cents

·
55 Posts
Sorry I beg to differ.

my trailer setup with the properly set up wdh towed great. Not light on front end at all. Added bags & raised truck up as I wanted via amount of air & towed a lot better.

my2cents
So your setup was already great before the airbags, correct? Your hitch was properly setup also? I have no doubts about the airbags helping but it is mechanically impossible for airbags (RAS and Timbrens included) to shift weight to the front wheels to make it handle better. The OP needs to have his hitch checked first and foremost. That’s going to have the most effect on the distribution of weight across all 4 wheels. His issue is loose steering and not bouncing or squatting.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the lightness on the front end isnt terrible. its slight but noticeable. i would think that the fix is going to be minor at best. airbags im guessing would definitely level out the sag, which isnt bad at all. i had a standard titan before with the same trailer and that was ridiculous sag and borderline unsafe. the xd is a night and day difference.
i will get my hitch dialed in because honestly i havent even tweeked it since i changed trucks. so you guys are right it's most likely due to the hitch not being dialed in.

·
506 Posts
People can say what they want, but air bags in addition to your wdh WILL be more stable. I have towed my camper 10k loaded bone stock, with timbrens, wdh plus timbrens, then air bags plus wdh and with the bags it’s the most stable.

·
55 Posts
I have nothing against any aftermarket suspension upgrades (I’ll be purchasing the Roadmaster kit). I’m all for anything that gives you a stable ride. But as someone that installed their own WD, I had to make 3 separate adjustments to get mine dialed in. Oddly, an extra washer/spacer might have made the biggest difference between my rig towing great and towing like an absolute TANK! I had the floaty steering too but that’s completely gone now.

·
18 Posts
WDH bars should be rated for 14K for a load that heavy. Err on the side of 2-3k above the total trailer weight and 2-300 lb above tongue weight for the bars. A WDH is essentially a torsion spring that transfers weight and from your description it isn't transfering nearly enough. The 14K bars are rated for 1400lb. tongue weight and our Momentum toy hauler tongue weight is up around 1100-1200lbs so that is what worked well with ours. Fully loaded at 10k lbs. we have about 2" of squat, no air bags and no loose front end.

You should figure out what your bars are rated for and make sure they exceed the weight of your setup. Then you should as others have said properly adjust your WDH. Airbags are nice but until you fully and properly setup the WDH you won't see the results you want. Towing with these trucks is awesome and hope you get it figured out

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The loose steering isn’t terrible. But it is noticeable on certain turns at certain speeds. It squats a couple of inches I have to say.
My toy hauler has a lot of tongue weight. It is a 30’ toy hauler so it’s packing weight at the front. I noticed it this past trip cuz I did go dry camping for a couple of days and had to fill up water to last. I was hauling at least 80-100 gallons of water cuz my wife loves the hot showers.
When I have time I will play around with the hitch and get some bags on order.
This is what I’m hauling. I’d like to see some of yours rigs. If u guys wanna throw it up here.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts